Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front Brake Cable Replacement 93 4Runner SR5 (22RE)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Brake Cable Replacement 93 4Runner SR5 (22RE)

Hi there,

I just bought this truck less than a month ago and I took it on a road trip for a little over 2600km. I am very pleased with the performance and reliability so far. Earlier today after coming back from a fishing trip I engaged the parking break only to snap the front cable right up near the handle. Here is what I have done so far.

I have removed the broken cable by disconnecting it from the intermediate lever located on the undercarriage on the passenger side, and pulling the cable from the sheath.

I then dismounted the parking break lever and correctly removed the other end (not by pounding out the stopper as I have read here). I unmounted the indicator button and it enabled me to push in the handle a little farther, which put the knobby end of the broken wire into an exposed slot on the other side, and I was able to extract it easily.

My question is: The front cable exits the cab and goes into a protective housing/sheath. When I get the new cable, how do I fit it into the housing? Both ends are too bulbous and would prevent entry into the sheath that is mounted onto the frame. One is the knob end similar to a bike brake, the other is the a ring-end piece that attaches to the intermediate lever. Do I have to replace the entire thing, sheath included, and remount a new sheath with the cable inside? I have a suspicion that the ring end of the cable may be able to screw on, which would solve things, but when I attempted to do so on my broken cable, it was so rusted that it snapped off and I was unable to determine if this is the case.

Does anyone have any experience replacing this, and can you inform me if I have to replace the whole sheath? This seems wasteful as the cable can easily slide down the current sheath to where it needs to go if it weren't for the large terminal ends.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 AM

I replaced the front brake cable in my 88 4Runner a few years ago and used this thread as my guide:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...pickup-164296/

I hope this helps you as it did for me. I can't remember the specifics but it's not that hard. Any other questions, let me know.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Thanks Dave,

I managed to get the whole part and replace it myself, it was really basic. The toughest part was getting the little piece out of the lever.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 PM

No problem, just wanted to help. Now that I think about it, I've done both the front and rear cables on my 88. I wanted to show you that link as that's the one I used to do my front cable. Last year before I owned my 94, I was doing the rear brakes and parking brake on the 88 when the rear cable went on me. I had a spare one on hand from Ebay so I was good to go. I think I remember having a hard time getting the cable through the frame by the gas tank. It's a constant education owning these older trucks. I love it.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 PM

did my cable today , it only took me 2.5 years to do it , went a lot easier than I thought would