Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Found culprit of mystery noise..how do I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found culprit of mystery noise..how do I fix it?

Techies... Been a while since I posted but I just to moved to Cali and I'm trying to get settled in. Anyways I have had this horrible mystery noise on my passenger side front end for a little while now. It sounds like something is about to fall off my truck but I couldn't find anything loose. Did some experimenting and it seemed like it was barely there in 4WD so I started checking out the CV axle. On the inner inner side right where it comes out of the front diff there is a bunch of play right there. Its not in the joint itself but farther in towards the diff. The left side feels pretty solid compared to the right so my guess is the noise I been hearing is the whole CV axle rattling in there. So is that a bearing in the diff housing where the CV axle comes out and if so will I have to pull the diff to change it or can I pull it out with only the CV axle pulled out of the diff? Any info would be great. The mystery noise was bad enough but now that I know what it is it's bugging me even worse. Oh ya California emission laws suck!! I failed for being 3 degrees out of time
Old 12-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mean it's loose where the tulip stem goes into the differential?

See this post, and
this writeup

Hope that helps!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:35 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
There's LOTSA bearings in there. A full set for each tulip cap.
Replace the CV axles. Carquest, $66 each with lifetime guarantee. Hard to beat that.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

That CV axle is only a year old I just replaced because the boots went on my last one. The play is where the axle comes out of the diff housing itself. Its leaking diff fluid too.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only bearing on the passenger side is the diff side gear. If it has play then you'll have to take the whole thing apart. There is an oil seal where the side shaft exits the housing that can be replaced. The manual says to pull shaft out with a slide hammer, re & re seal and replace shaft. The shaft has a snap ring on the end to keep it in the side gear so when you replace it make sure it is in far enough.

It's possible if there is enough play in the oil seal it could make some noise so maybe you can try replacing the seal first. Cheaper and easier then tearing into the diff.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Wanting to bump this post and see if anyone else has any comments. There is no bearing on that right side just the oil seal like Eric the red said. There is also the assembly that connects the splined shaft to the CV axle itself I don't know what all is in that. I took it to Toyota and they quoted me $600 just to get into the diff..... If I stuck some hubs in there that should stop the wear and tear on it as a temp fix don't you think? I don't have the time to put my rig down right now and of course this crap happens around the holidays when cash is tight.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:43 PM

SOunds like the oil seal to me. Maybe try to change that yourself first. See this link: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...le/22repla.pdf
Edit: of course there is a bearing there as well, but it sits on the inside, so you will need to take the diff apart to get to it. The FSM instructions can be found here.

Last edited by runethechamp; 12-20-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:12 PM

try the seal first. easy to do, but a seal puller is much easier to get the job done. i replaced mine on the drivers side after over 140k and some wheeling. part was about $20 at the dealership. not sure of the part# though. and good luck getting a new snap ring from them. if the local shop near you is anything like my toyota dealership out here....they have NO CLUE!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
See if this helps with the conceptualizing...
Attached Thumbnails Found culprit of mystery noise..how do I fix it?-frontaxle.jpg  
Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I have those exact pictures and the only thing I see is that seal. Hard telling what it is. I have an appointment for in the morning to get the seal changed. Sucks I don't have the time to do it myself but hopefully it will fix the problem. I'll post the results