Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Engine Troubles 22RE

Old 03-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Troubles 22RE

OK, For the whole time since i had the truck it had a raqttle at startup and at about 2000 RPMs. I could make it go away if i gave it gas. To me didnt sound like a rod knock. I changed the timing chain, still made the knock. I lived with it. Fast forward to today. I drove the 4runner to see a 4x4 competition. It was abotu a 70 miles one way trip. No problem, i did it 2 months ago. So go for the ride today, everything is fine. I get halfway to my destination and i hear the knock on my engine, well it seems to get louder and my truck was losing power. No smoke or CEL, or overheating. I get to an exit to pull off, it is knocking good. I get to the top of the exit hill and it dies on me. I crank it up and it rattles like heck but starts. I call a friend to get my trailer and come get me. The 4runner will start and drive onto the trailer, rattling. I get home and start lookngi into it.

The sound seems to be comnig from the top of the motor, but that doesnt mean it is. I pulled the valve covers and no damage, i was hopnig it was a broken valve spring or such. I do some compression testing. I get abotu 152 PSI across the board on each cylinder. When cranking to test compresion I didnt have any noise. I put the plugs back in and cranked it (and made a whole mess with oil) and the sound is still there. So I am "assuming" it is a rod knock. How can i test it without tearing into the motor, jsut incase it isnt the issue i dont want to pull the heart out yet. The coolant is fine with no oil in it, and the oil is nice and clean since i jsut changed it last week. So i have no obvious signs of buring oil. So right now i just need some options on what to check next. The motor didnt lock up, didnt "throw" a rod. But it is knocking like hell and has no power. Would a bad bearing cause lack or power even if the compression of the cylinders are all good?

I have another 22re in the garage that i can rebuild and toss in. I also found a 3.4V6 for sale locally. And a buddy of mine is gonig to get in touch with me tonight, he has a 2nd Gen 4runner in great shape but no motor, Tranny or tcase that i can have for free, i just want to make sure i can get a title for it. So i am trying to formulate my plan of attack, if i have to rebuild/replace the motor in the 4runner.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow your story sounds identical to mine, right down to the changing of the oil last week. Happened to me last night:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...k-nooo-138801/

I'm going to test compression here shortly.

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 03-01-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
with the engine idling, disconnect the spark plug wires one at a time to kill the cylinders and see if one chnges the sound of the knock.

also check the oil. drain it through a coffee filter and see if there is any trace of metal particles. Look closely because they may be very fine.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 PM

I am curious, why would a cylinder knock with the spark plug disconnected? I would think it should make the sound regardless.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Sounds like you have a head gasket that is going. You changed the timing chain tesioner when you did the chain right?

I doubt it is a bearing unless the engine has be serverely beatup on. The bottom ends are very good in the 22RE. I would put my money on a head gasket.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:29 PM

I have had headgaskets go before, and it does seem like it, but still the compression is good on all and no smoke or oil. Is this something that could happen right before a headgasket being blown?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 PM

It is very doubtful that you will have symptoms BEFORE a head gasket blows. It's like saying you are getting going to run out of gas...

Head gaskets go every day. Hell, I've had 6 head gaskets go in a 3 month span on a Subaru. I didn't know it was going to blow???

I have heard of a piston slap before. I am thinking it could be something like that. Not a 100% sure.

Your symptoms are very close to rdlsz24...
Old 03-01-2008, 02:27 PM

by removing the spark plug wire you are taking the load from the combustion stroke off of that cylinder. it may still knock but usually it will change the sound enough to confirm the rod bearing is the issue.

Or you could just put a brick on the gas pedal and see which rod comes out.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Well i went throguh the plugs with it running and they didnt not change a thing so that could be good or bad. It really sounds like something is loose in the cylinder. I want to say it sounds like a valve that broke and is in the cylidner but i would have had bad compression readings if it was. Here is a video of the carnage.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MVI_0001.flv
Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 PM

that sounds like a rod knock

did you filter the oil to see if it has metal?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:36 PM

No, i didnt filter it yet. i will do it in the morning. Getting dark now, andi have to find a filter.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 PM

why not just change the oil and stick one of those pencil like magnets in the oil and see what you've got. But that does sounds like bad news to me.

Good job...Vicoor...lol
Old 03-01-2008, 03:45 PM

most of the metal will be non-metallic, mostly copper from the bearings

usually it is a fine almost metal flake looking

if you don't have a coffee filter you can use a white paper towel

or

If you run the engine for a minute, then drain about a cup into a clear glass, and leave it sit for a hour or so the metal wil settle in the bottom and be more visible.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM

oh, I didn't know that. That's good advice. Wouldn't a coffee filter be kind of hard though...as the oil would take awhile to filter?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:13 PM

I dont have any filters since i dont drink coffe, i was going to use a old tshirt or a paper towel.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM
CW

This sounds the same as mine with the exception of compression readings, mine is 145-150 in 1,3,4 and 98 in #2. It also seems to foul #3 plug. I did a wet test in #2 (put a little oil in the cylinder) and retested compression. It shot to nearly 300psi. My thought is broken ring but it doesnt really explain fouling a different plug or the knock sound. Mine sounds like its up top as well but when i pulled my valve cover everything including timing kit appears new.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:36 AM

All my plugsw checked out to be about the same, nothing bad, looked rather normal if not possibly a little lean. But nothing that i would consider out of the ordinary
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 AM

go get some type of filter and filter some oil. I think you probably could use and air filter...but a coffee filter would be best.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Well i filtered some of the oil. There is brass flakes in there. And a few larger chunks of metal. Nothing huge but enough to know something is no right with the motor. So I found a machine shop locally, i jsut have to wait for the tax return to get here. I am going to use the motor i have on the stand and rebuild that one so i will have the engine mostly assembled, and then just pull the motor from the truck, swap over accessories and reinstall. Hopefully it wont take that long, my main issue is getting the block over to the machine shop. I have to use the wifes altima OH well. Now time to make a list of things i have to get when rebuilding it, it is time for maybe a differnt cam now that i have it apart
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 AM

That sucks...something definitely went wrong. Too bad your so far away...cause I would love to have another motor...so I can rebuild it.

I would try to find a friend with a truck (I'm sure you've got one) and have him/her haul the motor in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Troubles 22RE