86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Elevation and 22re power questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elevation and 22re power questions.

I know the computer should re-adjust itself for these types of changes yet I was noticing a significant loss. I let the truck cool down after I got here and ran it again from cold with the same results.

I did a quick check on everything when I got here and everything seemed fine no exhaust leaks no catalytic problems. I have not pulled the plugs yet. Im a total noob to elevation so maybe Im missing something?

The only notable thing was the oil (not synthetic) went from new green in santa cruz (I changed the day I left) to brown thin over the course of 1100 miles. Also the idle seemed to sit at around 100 +/- rpms more than normal when I got here. The rpms seemed to stick sometimes when I would stop at a rest stop after a few hundred miles at 500+/- rpms more than normal until I would give it a good amount of throttle and it would drop back down to normal range. ( I have no tach so the rpm ranges Im playing by ear).

Anyway the end result is it seems like I have alot more time between shifting gears than normal and it seems really flat for power untill it gets to the top end of the gear the throttle response is very .......well flat. Where as before with the low gears It seemed like I was going from first to third in a heartbeat.

What I can say is going on a 1000+ mile trip with 5.29s and 33s sucks! 65mph all the way. I guess being able to go up hills in 5th gear is nice when you have a sandwich in one hand and a drink in the other and only spending 130 dollars on gas.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by Slowstrike; 07-16-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are aware that the air is thinner at higher elevation, right? There is less air to pull in at higher altitudes so the engine will kind of bog down like what you experienced.
The "sticky" throttle could be from the lack of air (computer raising RPM to suck in more air) or just something was hot and stuck.
New oil usually gets darker within the first few hundred miles especially when run a lot (your 1100 miles).
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
You are aware that the air is thinner at higher elevation, right? There is less air to pull in at higher altitudes so the engine will kind of bog down like what you experienced.
The "sticky" throttle could be from the lack of air (computer raising RPM to suck in more air) or just something was hot and stuck.
New oil usually gets darker within the first few hundred miles especially when run a lot (your 1100 miles).
Yes I figured this. I was wondering if there is anything I an do to make it not drag ass.

I was already working on junkers88 before I got here to help me find a supra MAF so that might help get me a higher air volume.

The oil thing is not out of the ordinary, plus it was 112 degrees going through the mojave just a noted fact.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 PM

rule of thumb i go by is 4% power loss every thousand feet you go up. Im living at 8,000 ft and my 3.4 is a dog up here haha. But go back to sea level and man you got a race car in your hands.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With increasing elevation, there is less air available to be used by the engine to combust the fuel. Every naturally aspirated engine will lose power at higher altitudes. There is nothing short of mechanical modifications (turbo for instance) you can do to compensate for that. Ask your favorite drag racing team for advice if you doubt it.
Overall though, the ECU should 'lean' the mixture out as your elevation changes, adjusting its internal "fuel trim" setting to keep the mixture near stoichiometric. You'll lose power as you go higher since there's less oxygen, but the ECU will also reduce the fuel injected... so less power.
Is this making sense yet?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
With increasing elevation, there is less air available to be used by the engine to combust the fuel. Every naturally aspirated engine will lose power at higher altitudes. There is nothing short of mechanical modifications (turbo for instance) you can do to compensate for that. Ask your favorite drag racing team for advice if you doubt it.
Overall though, the ECU should 'lean' the mixture out as your elevation changes, adjusting its internal "fuel trim" setting to keep the mixture near stoichiometric. You'll lose power as you go higher since there's less oxygen, but the ECU will also reduce the fuel injected... so less power.
Is this making sense yet?

So the short answer is suck it up because there is nothing wrong and Im a noob . Well I suppose that beats something being broken right?

I knew there was a downside to having hundreds of miles of open space to do with as I please!

Anyway how does this affect pre ignition?