Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EB Street RV *check* 261 Cam *check* 22re blown HG *check*

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i suppose next time i adjust my valves ill advance a bit. i left it right at 8 degrees last time.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
8*? Yeah, that should be good to go, Fork. Hmmmm. Boy those lil 'rumbles in the jungle' drive me freakin nuts! lol.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which arm? From the glove forum? That's just a scar now if that's what you're referring to. I was trying to remove a bed from a first gen that was decently clean that the guy was selling for 100 bucks. I ended up not being able to get anyone to help me go get it though and it was sold before my hand healed. I just couldn't move it for a week because I nicked the tendon in there. Now I am much more conscious of old rust bolts and sharp edges

So, back from the weekend, I was seeing my friend off who is going on an indefinite backpacking trip with his girl friend starting in New Zealand and going who knows where. He's the one who is selling me this fine BMW. I won't go into detail, but it has a whole lot of work done to the suspension and brakes. Motor is all stock except the cooling system.

Anyways, back to wrenching on the pickup and I'll check in later with some updates. Got my parts from 22re performance on saturday, I ordered them friday. Not bad for the USPS.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Sorry SC, ....I thought for sure you had a compound fracture on your arm while doing some motocross or something? Pictures of you in the Hospital room and everything? Guess I'm mixing up a couple people.... Sorry! lol.

Nice Beemer!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Sorry SC, ....I thought for sure you had a compound fracture on your arm while doing some motocross or something? Pictures of you in the Hospital room and everything? Guess I'm mixing up a couple people.... Sorry! lol.

Nice Beemer!
Nope, I think I know the thread you're talking about, I just managed to slit my wrist/palm pretty good on a first gen bed, just 5 or 6 stitches.

Thanks, it's way too fast. It gets good mileage though 32mpg highway if I go 70 and 25 avg. It's got phenomenal grip though, it makes the motorcyclists who come up to the mountain roads on the weekends really angry, they try so hard to out run it and I just sit behind them and

Anyways, I got a few things done in the last few hours.

Intake side is removed and all the bolts are removed from the exhaust, but I can't pull the manifold because it doesn't want to clear the studs. I think I just need to pull the head with the manifold on and it will lift right off.

So, I guess the next big thing I need to do is drain the oil and loosen the crank bolt/cam bolt or whatever.

Last edited by SCToy; 07-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:52 PM

Oh, next thing I've discovered he ripped me off on or the exhaust shop who obviously was a bunch of monkeys (the weld(s) are just awful. The manifold is not cracked (he told me it was, so I assume it was him who did all this because he told me I needed a header and that my manifold was cracked.

2 of the bolts that bolt the manifold to the exhaust pipe were missing and all the manifold bolts came off incredibly easily and 1 broken stud. It was as if he wanted it to leak terribly.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Bumping the starter worked perfect.
Warning to others, make sure you do that before remove the injectors and fuel lines, or disconnect your fuel pump. Although everything but the starter was disconnected that could have ended very badly!
Gunna call it quits for today, gotta go run some errands. Hopefully I will pull everything tomorrow, start cleaning and get it all back together by the end of the week.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 PM

WHAT A KNOB, THE WELDER! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Dude, I'd NOT let that alone.... I'd HAVE to let him know 'I'M ON TO HIM'! lol

anyway, gotcha on the ARM.

Far as the exhaust.. if you're gonna do that, just dont' forget to put the bolts back on, k?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM

Well, I got the head off today. Time for the timing cover!

Looks like it failed around cylinder number 1 where the head bolt number 3 is in the sequence of removal
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Timing cover off
I see no brand on the tensioner, wondering what timing kit this is

Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM

Well, I found his next mistake! After pinching the head gasket, since the gasket was pushed over, it covered up the hole for the oil-hidden bolt. When he put the hidden bolt back in it pushed the gasket down into the bottom of the hole and cracked the timing cover. Ordered a new cover and Jerry was kind enough to throw in some water pump studs for free. I would have gone with EB, but I don't want to wait to start putting it back together and the shipping time from him is much longer due to distance.

You can see it's all blackened on the mating surface and not a fresh crack.

It is kind of moot though, because the cover is very thin by the water pump and was ready to ruin all my hard work anyways.

Last edited by SCToy; 07-20-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM

I want to start reassembly, but it's so freaking hot and tomorrow going to be 99 deg. and that's not heat index, calling for 115 heat index! So I'm going to wait to put it back together when weather cools down, sucks!!!! If the truck and everything was at my house I would reassemble engine inside with AC, but it's all in piece's at my grand parents barn and no way would they allow me to do reassemble engine in there house!!!! LOL;} Darn It!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 PM

It was pretty hot here today too, I got a big umbrella to put over my truck. Just waiting on the timing cover so I can put it back together. Guess I have a ton of parts cleaning to do and I need to drop the oil pan and clean it out. A ton of coolant fell into it when I took the cover off.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Not sure on the brand of the tensioner... usually, in fact, even within 5K miles of my first rebuild... when I tore the cover off, the tensioner CLEARLY said, "OSK-Japan" on it. The rock kit at engnbldr uses that tensioner as well. Also, the chain looks like it says what mine did(number wise)...

Amazing on the timing cover/HG screw up! then cracking the cover, sorry, almost forgot, lol. WOW! Imagine how many people have used him before, too, thinking he's a "ASE Cert. Toyota Mechanic, so he MUST be the best one to do it!" ....geeeeesh, not so, I guess, eh?

Way to KILL IT, SC... nice pace, man!

Do yourself a lil favor, .... drop a lil ATF in with the first oil flush(20 minutes breaking everything in, etc.) It will suspend most of the water, MUCH better than oil. Use maybe half to 3/4 qt. and the rest oil. Also, don't let that water sit in those wholes for any period of time, ya know? Get it all out, quick, including in the head bolt holes. This will also work it's way, quickly, into the bearings and wanna hang out there til you get it all going again!... again, the ATF will pull out most or all of that fairly quickly, and help to make a nice lil coating in there until you add the fresh 4.5 quarts of oil you'll be using for the next 500miles or so before valve adjustments, rechecking head bolt torque, etc.

BEST WISHES, MAN!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Here in midwest there is a cap over us and keeping it hot and humid and draining every ounce of energy from everybody out in it, like walking into a sonna from AC. I saw temp map on weather channel and out west is nice, high of 64 in seattle tomorrow, dang wish I was there, we need a storm system pushed by a cold front for some releif, you in Santa Cruz it's a high of 74, we'll have a high of 99, I'll take your hot weather than my hot weather ;}LOL

boulder creek will be high of 82 today, I'll take that every day forever than high off 99 we'll have today abiant temp with 115 heat index, gonna sux!!!! ;} Being on a beach would be sweet!!!! I have thought about moving to state of Washington or Oregon.

Last edited by john4wd; 07-20-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Actually I'm working in boulder creek, I'm not on the beach thanks chef, the head bolts came out pretty clean, mostly gummed up on the threads with what looked like burnt oil or something didn't see any coolant. I'll pull the pan tomorrow and try to get all the coolant out of the block. It sure would have been smart to pull it and have it hot tanked haha
Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe some threadlocker.. i got schooled about using loctite on head bolts, i no longer do that..

also want to point out im from SC. just sayin. thats prolly why im following this thread so much

Last edited by fork; 07-20-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Thanks Chef! Today I gotta get the electric fan installed in the BMW, right now it has no fan, it does have a massive aluminum radiator, so far for the last 3 years it has survived with no fan. It does get a little hot following people slowly up the hill though, around 225, which is borderline scary! I'm doing it for peace of mind hehe. Also, going to be cleaning parts up and if I am lucky my new timing cover will arrive.

Originally Posted by fork
maybe some threadlocker.. i got schooled about using loctite on head bolts, i no longer do that..

also want to point out im from SC. just sayin. thats prolly why im following this thread so much
Nice, I used to live down in Town, but stopped renting that house, it didn't have a garage anyways and people would have stolen my parts out of the driveway I think. I don't think they used thread locker on the head bolts, I am pretty certain the HG is stock from the factory still. It looks like original bolts just pretty well cemented in there with carbon. One bolt came out gooey with oil, the rest were dry. All of them came out without a fight except one. Just had to break torque on them and the 1/4 turn at a time and then threaded them out by hand. Not that I really care about warping the head since I don't plan to reuse it, but there is no sense in letting it get wrecked on purpose either.

Fork, Where out in the Pacific are you now?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sub'd. i think this is one of the only other 22r-ec's on here. same vac lines and everything.

let me know if you need any reference pics when hooking it back up
Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Sure, no prob man! .........Wait, what'd I do? hehehe.

Anyway, lil curious why only one bolt came out with oil on it. Could have just been the HG....but even then, I blew mine and had oil on, .....hmm, can't remember precisely, but it was the same ones as always. I think 4, at least. DON'T SWEAT IT, I'M NOT saying it's an issue, etc., just thinking out loud/curious.

USE NOTHING on the head bolts, this time, ......... not necessary. Wow, timing cover comes................ TODAY? hehe

Quick Reply: EB Street RV *check* 261 Cam *check* 22re blown HG *check*