86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

driver headlight wont work

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driver headlight wont work

Ok first off I've searched and found someone that had a similar problem but they didn't know what they did to make the headlight come on.

So on to my problem. Ok since I've gotten this truck the left headlight has always given me problems. It melts the fuse, dims and brightens. Now I put hid's in and thought my ballast went out replaced it still didn't work, so I bought new bulbs still dosent work. Well I pulled a test light out and I'm getting voltage at the fuse but not at the headlight plug or anywhere in the fender.

Could the headlight relay be bad? Is there another fuse or relay that could be affecting it?

Truck is 92 base 22re 4x4.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have this same problem, but with my passenger side headlight. I run a 35W HID kit (relay harness, heavy gauge wire, clean connections and grounds) H4 bi-xenon lights.

My problem happens at completely random times. When I go to turn on my headlights be it at night or in the morning sometimes the passenger light never fires, it usually does after rapidly turning off and on the headlights a few times. Once it fires its not a problem, it will stay on until I turn off my headlights.

I've been trying to track down the issue for about a year now. Swapped numerous HID harnesses, ballasts, bulbs, etc. yet the problem still persists. I'm just about to give up.

Before anyone asks, yes I do use a relay harness.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I looked at the circuit and doesnt look like much is in there. A relay, fuse, and the combo switch. Unless you have a bad wire somewhere, might try cleaning your combo switc. I copied the below from my thread and there are some links to other suggestions.

I went to work on my Light Switch and Wiper delay. I plugged my old one in and the wiper delay worked. But not bright lights. I then tried to combine the 2 and was going to have cut wire and splice and didnt want to go that route.

The Light Assembly I had before was from an 86 and it has another plug my 88 didnt have. I figured it was for some option mine didnt have so didnt think much about it. The white plug is what I am talking about on an 86 in this picture.

Today I got to looking at it (the white plug) and it runs to the wiper handle and I am guessing it is to the delay in the handle. So I then decided to see what I could do about my original Light assembly.

I took the Steering Wheel off. I have had mine off before and have it snug but not so tight I need a Steering Wheel Puller. If you havent had it off, dont bang on it as it will bulge the Steering shaft. Go rent a puller from the parts store. It is free.

You will need to drop the lower plastic panel and I diconnect the dimmer switch and just let it lay on the floor. Remove the Steering Wheel and the covers to the steering column.

There are 4 screws that hold the Light Switch Assembly on. They are recessed. Then disconnect the black clip that keeps all of the wire bundeled to the column and 2 screws that hold the blue connectors to the black tabs /clip.

Once I had it off, I had to take 2 screw out that hold the hazard light switch to the assembly, and set it out of the way. I then had to remove the clear plastic cover so as I could use my wife finger nail file (yeah.. she liked that idea) and went over the little copper tips on the copper layers. Just a couple of times to help make a good clean contact. Then I hit with some WD-40.

Here is a good picture of the contacts that need cleaned and more info if someone needs it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-work-100088/

Put it back togther and everything works great. The 86 and 88 Light assemblys do have different part numbers on them and they interchanged and it got me thru. But it is nice having everything working as it should.

I did take my passenger kick panel off and didnt see a relay box there. Not saying it isnt, I just didnt want to pull the ECM and since I was able to test with a good wiper delay switch, I didnt need to go that far into it.

Found another link to a headlight problem I just wanted to add.
Link>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icator-229946/
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Figured I'd post what I found out about my headlight problem. I checked the relay, the contacts in the switch and it was all good. Checked the fuse again and it looked perfectly fine but decided to change it and see what happened. Grabbed a spare fuse and put it and the driver headlight lit up. So I guess what I learned is always change the fuse with another just to make sure it isn't bad even though it looks perfectly fine.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would look close at the female side where the fuse slides in.They get spread apart over the years and get loose.

I would bet you have a loose connection that was causing all your problems.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Checked that. It's tight. It's actually kinda hard to slide the fuse in. I do think they need to be cleaned though.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by lil_red_yota
...the left headlight has always given me problems. It melts the fuse, dims and brightens. Now I put hid's in and thought my ballast went out replaced it still didn't work, so I bought new bulbs still dosent work. Well I pulled a test light out and I'm getting voltage at the fuse but not at the headlight plug or anywhere in the fender.
Could the headlight relay be bad?
If combo switch is bad, it would affect both left and right lights.
How about your HID's? Is only the left having problem?
Does stock light circuit for left control the left HID and stock light circuit for right control right HID, or does only one side of stock circuit control both side HID's?

If only the left is having problem, and it blows fuses, it suggests that there is a short to ground. Probably between relay output and the left lights. I recommend you trace that wire, and inspect for broken insulation causing intermittent short to ground. IF it's only dimming but not blowing fuses, could be corroded/poor connection.

Not: It would have been simpler to troubleshoot if you did troubleshooting before adding the HID's. Is it possible to restore to stock lights, fix the problem, then add HID's?