Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Downey suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Downey suspension lift

I've had my '90 toyota 4runner for about a year and a half now and I've decided to put a small lift on it. I've done quite a bit of research (mostly internet) and have settled on purchasing from Downey Offroad. Downey seems like high quality. After ordering their catalog and talking to their reps I've decided to purchase their Downey HD 1.5" coils (i got he sag), Downey 26" torsion bars, low profile snubbers and Doetsch-Tech Prerunner shocks for the front and rear end. I plan to crank the T-bars up 1.5" to make the front end level with the rear. I also plan to buy either a pair of used Aisin manual hubs or the Mile markers that Downey has to offer. I may be young and inexperienced , but I'm up to the challege of making the project work. I've read a lot of installations of T-bars and coils from the toyo tech website and others. Plus, I've got freinds and family who are willing to help (much more experienced than I am) and supply tools that I may not have and need.

I just wanted to ask you people before I made the purchase (I'd figure that Downey would ONLY tell me how good their products are). I was wondering whether it would be better to get the used Aisin Manual hubs (because of quality) and rebuild them if need be or the new Mile Markers. I was also wondering how stiff the suspension would be, especially on-road/highway, after the HD coils, cranked up T-bars and Doetsch-Tech Prerunners were installed. Hopefully I don't lose my mind or cash in my account doing this 1.5" lift. I'd appreciate ANY input and advise on these products and their installations (especially any tricks or what to watch out for). Thx

Oh, I almost forgot. I was also wondering if it would be worth it to purchase any polyurethane bushings to replace any rubber ones since I would be taking apart a lot of the underside of the 4runner anyway. Thx again
Old 08-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

poly bushings are always a welcomed upgrade over stock... downey is good stuff, i plan on ordering a lot from them in the future
Old 08-19-2004, 01:05 AM

Question

Originally Posted by jimabena74
poly bushings are always a welcomed upgrade over stock... downey is good stuff, i plan on ordering a lot from them in the future
Nice. The bushings are the least expensive too . Are there any noticable comforts after installing the bushings?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Banned

from what i have heard there is more responsiveness, which is good or bad depending on the person... supposedly its a little rougher ride, but i have heard with all the new technology advancements that they ride just better than the stock ones...
Old 08-19-2004, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

i had the SAW t-bars (bascically the same as the downeys) and cranked them up to match the rear end, it makes the front very stiff which isnt so bad on the street (since it makes the truck less "wobbly") but if you off-road it your uptravel in the front will be very limited since you've increased the pre-load on the front torsion bars. If thats not an issue for you go ahead and do what you planned, if offroading is important skip the t-bars ( you dont REALLY need them unless you get a heavy bumper and/or winch) and get some balljoint spacers to match the front to the back. It gives you the added height, without stiffening the supsension.

My $0.02
Old 08-19-2004, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you thought about a body lift ? A 3" body Lift is much cheaper than a suspension lift. Do a search on Roger Brown or RB body lift. Roger is a GREAT guy and very helpfull, He custom makes the lifts for our trucks.

Heres a link Rogers Brown's site

Im planning on installing the lift within the next few weeks
Old 08-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
i had the SAW t-bars (bascically the same as the downeys) and cranked them up to match the rear end, it makes the front very stiff which isnt so bad on the street (since it makes the truck less "wobbly") but if you off-road it your uptravel in the front will be very limited since you've increased the pre-load on the front torsion bars. If thats not an issue for you go ahead and do what you planned, if offroading is important skip the t-bars ( you dont REALLY need them unless you get a heavy bumper and/or winch) and get some balljoint spacers to match the front to the back. It gives you the added height, without stiffening the supsension.

My $0.02
Add my 2 cents in with NCSU's. I have the Downey 26mm bars now and they are almost too stiff for my set-up (winch and bull bar) and I have them adjusted to the softest possible. Any softer adjustment on them and there wouldn't be enough threads holding the adjustment bolt. The ball joint spacers are the best option on lifting the front, but note that some tire/wheel combos don't work with BJ spacers.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-19-2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:55 AM

Skip the torsion bars. I have the Downey HD rear springs and cranked the torsion bars to level out the front. I like the ride and everyone who rides in my truck comments on the soft ride. Get the HD coils - they ride great and handle heavy loads with no sagging.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:22 AM

When I cranked up my SAW torsion bars my ride was so crappy. It was so bad when I hit rough roads, I would seriously lose grip of the steering wheel if I wasnt holding it tightly. I hated it. My girlfriend didnt even want to ride in it because it was so rough. Im not exagerating either. And then ofcourse I didnt know about swapping to manual hubs and I tore a CV boot on each axle and had to replace them not knowing that they ripped because of the torsions, but thats a whole diff. story.

I finally lowered the front end down and am still trying to figure out a way to bring the front end up.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sbrut95
When I cranked up my SAW torsion bars my ride was so crappy. It was so bad when I hit rough roads, I would seriously lose grip of the steering wheel if I wasnt holding it tightly. I hated it. My girlfriend didnt even want to ride in it because it was so rough. Im not exagerating either. And then ofcourse I didnt know about swapping to manual hubs and I tore a CV boot on each axle and had to replace them not knowing that they ripped because of the torsions, but thats a whole diff. story.

I finally lowered the front end down and am still trying to figure out a way to bring the front end up.
Yeah! I had the same problem with my wife, didn't want to ride in it. Plus I couldn't drink anything out of a cup. :pat:

The BJ spacers fixed my rough ride and lifted the front 1.5 inches. I'm a happy camper and so is my wife.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah! I had the same problem with my wife, didn't want to ride in it. Plus I couldn't drink anything out of a cup. :pat:

The BJ spacers fixed my rough ride and lifted the front 1.5 inches. I'm a happy camper and so is my wife.

Yeah, dont even try drinking anything while you drive, thats funny, I forgot about how hard that was. Not to Jack this thread, but MT Goat- BJ spacers are the way to go then for 1.5" of lift? And problems when in 4wd with the CV axles/angle?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

The Milemarker hubs are a good quality, even though they are not Toyota. I have them and have no problems at all. Make sure you get the spindle nut kit or grind down the lip on the factory lock nut or you will brake the hub flange when you tighten it down (ie: experience ).......
Old 08-19-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: hub,
I used Warn Premium hubs on my IFS. You have to monitor the 6 nuts cause they have a tendency to walk out.

re: downey coil springs
I went with their medium duty which gave me the same lift and didn't sag the whole time I've had it. The ride is 10% stiffer than stock which oppose to 20% on the Hd.
I used it with RS 9017 on #3 out of 5 setting. Flex really well too.

http://home.earthlink.net/~audiorat1...ex/Oct2701.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~audiorat1...ex/Oct2702.jpg
Old 08-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sbrut95

Not to Jack this thread, but MT Goat- BJ spacers are the way to go then for 1.5" of lift? And problems when in 4wd with the CV axles/angle?
No problems yet, my first big test with them is in Colorado next week so I'll let you know. It shouldn't be any different than cranking the t-bars up 1.5 inches, except the ride is softer and you have more flex.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Have you thought about a body lift ? A 3" body Lift is much cheaper than a suspension lift. Do a search on Roger Brown or RB body lift. Roger is a GREAT guy and very helpfull, He custom makes the lifts for our trucks.

Heres a link Rogers Brown's site

Im planning on installing the lift within the next few weeks
Yah, I was thinking about a body lift myself too, but I wanted to get rid of the stock springs that were old and casuignthe sag. You have a point though in that the body lift is much cheaper. Thx
Old 08-19-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner

My $0.02
Yah, i agrre with you also. I was wondering if only a 1.5" crank up would make a difference and it sounds like it does. I was thinking about putting a push bar on in the future with some Hellas or PIAAs, but I dont think that will be for a while. Sounds like the BJ spacers are the way to go. How much are they and does anyone have a link? Thx again
Old 08-19-2004, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by shiftless89
The Milemarker hubs are a good quality, even though they are not Toyota. I have them and have no problems at all. Make sure you get the spindle nut kit or grind down the lip on the factory lock nut or you will brake the hub flange when you tighten it down (ie: experience ).......
Yah, Downey was saying that the Mile Markers had quality as good as Warns, but cheaper. Would buying a pair of used Aisins be the best deal stiil and would I have to modify anything to put them on? Thx again
Old 08-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Funofchoice
. Sounds like the BJ spacers are the way to go. How much are they and does anyone have a link? Thx again
Here you go: http://www.sdori.com/
Old 08-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

i had my SAW tbars cranked as much as possible to still give reasonable street ride, im not real picky about it not being smooth as glass though. its a big 4runner, not a benz
Old 08-21-2004, 04:40 PM

The 90 needs bigger sway bars for street use.. just sold my 90 and have a set of urethane bushings for the rear, whole set, new.. never installed them... tried to sell and no takers.. they are yours for shipping $$... also have a K&N also you pa the shipping and it's yours.. 'll send you a PM.

Quick Reply: Downey suspension lift