Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Locks

My truck has the original door locks and the driver side no longer turns with the key so it cannot open and i have to go in the passenger side. They are the original locks so i suppose they are pretty bad. Will i be able to get these at a normal auto parts store or will i have to go to the stealership?when i get the locks are they fairly easy to replace?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, you have to dismantle the door from inside, BUT have you tried squirting some lube in the lock, yet? Like PB blaster, graphite, anything?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

No to get a lock for our trucks you'd have to go to the dealer if you want a keyed to match one you need to remove the passenger side lock the 5digit number is stamped on the side of the cylinder then take the new cylinder to a locksmith to have the thing reset for your pattern... if you are lucky they may be able to pull the number out of the computer with your VIN...
I thought I might need to replace mine and so I pulled it out best way to do it is to pry off the spring clip and then unbolt the door handle from the door and work the cylinder out. I did this (and lost the little cover plate thingy in the process) when I put it back together the lock worked fine down side is the mechanism is now exposed to the elements but it works... kinda sorta the new key I had cut will not work but the worn out one I used to use does... go figure...
the only way to get a full matching cylinder (according to the dealer) is to order a whole new set of cylinders [doors, fuel, ignition] which for the pick-up costs about $350.00CDN...

Last edited by aviator; 12-10-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My drivers side had an attempted break in, guy shoved a screwdriver into the door to unlock it. I finally got around to fixing it, heres what I had to do.

1st - find a used door lock cylinder from a similar year truck/runner ( I got mine from a 90 runner)

2nd - take that lock and the key you want to use to your local locksmith ( I use accent glass for my key/lock needs)

3rd - pay the 25 bucks and you're golden

to install, is easier then I though it would be.

1 - remove all screws/snaps holding panel on.
2 - remove door handle by undoing screw, then sliding it forward
3 - disconect all the rods
4 - loosen the handle
5 - pull handle out and slide out old lock, install new one, put everything back together. I didnt take the window crank out, because I couldnt figure it out..
Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 PM

window crank has a clip shaped like an omega symbol. a screwdriver can usually drive one side out then the other. they make a tool that gets both at once. chevys are the same way. it sucks, but you get used to it. and yeah, its easy to get to. mine acts that way too. im gonna probably switch the two i have side to side and call it good. i never unlock the pass side from the outside. probably have to swap the little pivot levers like when i did my dodge, but it should just be an e clip.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

hmmm I may just do that myself Jay... don't know what thet'd charge for that around here though have to see...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Better then the amount of green the dealer wanted!

The shop needed to know what kind of vehicle (make,model and year) the lock cylinder came from. They also asked for the key to that truck but I said I pulled it from a junkyard truck and didnt have the key.
I forgot how nice it is not having to climb over the passenger side seat to unlock my door.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may well be that your lock is bad. However, I had the same problem, and the spare new key that I had solved the problem. The old key was just worn out and would not work the passenger side lock. It still worked the ignition and driver's side door.

Just another perspective.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Mine is the same way so i put in a key fob. works wonderful.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My locks didn't have any numbers stamped on them. A locksmith told me that he could make a new key by measuring the old key and deriving the code from it. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like it might work.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

there is a small spring in the lock mechanism that has broken, i will try and attach a couple of pix so you know what it looks like. hmmm, cant get them to port over.

anyway, you have to r&r the lock mechanism. youll see the broken spring, not available from the dealer. check local boneyards for a mech, shouldnt be much more than 20$. kind of expensive for the spring unless you have a place that can make one for you.

lee

Last edited by leebee; 12-11-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: wrong pix
Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hmm. i gave my toyota dealership my VIN ('94 pickup) and they had a keyed-to-my stock driver's side door cylander the next day.

barely cost me anything with my discount. (i buy lots from them) they even threw in a new key for me.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
My locks didn't have any numbers stamped on them. A locksmith told me that he could make a new key by measuring the old key and deriving the code from it. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like it might work.
the number is only noted on the side of the passenger side lock cylinder you have to remove the cylinder from the handle to read it...
Try going to the dealer with your VIN# if you are lucky they will be able to pull the code from that....
Old 12-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by leebee
there is a small spring in the lock mechanism that has broken, i will try and attach a couple of pix so you know what it looks like. hmmm, cant get them to port over.

anyway, you have to r&r the lock mechanism. youll see the broken spring, not available from the dealer. check local boneyards for a mech, shouldnt be much more than 20$. kind of expensive for the spring unless you have a place that can make one for you.

lee
Yeah the spring thing jammed the cylinder when I removed the cylinder to clean it out (the painter filled the lock with paint or something) the spring sprung and now while I have no port the lock workd again...kinda sorta... the old worn out key works but my brand new coded key does not...
Gotta hit a bone yard or else see shane for a cylinder...
Old 12-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ just buy a new one, they're cheap!