86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY port & polish on a 22r??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
DIY port & polish on a 22r??

has anybody done their own port and polish on a 22r head? I have an extra head and intake sitting around so I thought about trying it but I dont want to do it without some research first. Any links or tips would be helpful
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I HIGHLY advise against it... P&P is JUST LIKE GEARS... On the outside it looks easy, but in reality it's VERY complex...

Have a pro do it. Unless you're experienced...

And I also recommend you research the piss out of porting and polishing... You need to know everything there is to know about it.

Namely, every port needs to be the exact same once the material is removed. You need to know where thin spots are so you don't remove too much. And the real guys do it with fluid IIRC. They pour it full and measure it in a cc glass to make sure they're even.

LC does it and I think Ted (Engnblder) does it to.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
You also need to look at the 20/22r hybrid if all you want is a bump in power... And you've got the 80-84 22R block.

It's supposed to be 10:1 compression when done. The intake breaths better. And it's rumored to be at 150hp with a cam and header...

Real time: Lets talk about the 20/22R Hybrid!

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-25-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a full port and polish is kinda tricky, but what can be done fairly simple is a gasket matching just trace and grind. its obviously more involved then that but not to difficult.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Depends on your level of skill, as for porting: have seen post to the absolute extreme that the guys doing it made it look so simple. Also know that there is a big difference between head and that with some more material can be removed without hitting a water jacket.

Polishing your just minimizing the restristion to exhaust flow. By rounding the corners and smoothing the material.

I'd pay the money to have the head decked and checked. Then a DIY mild p&p would not be to hard, Add a cam and boom, you are probably be one of the happiest guys on here. If you jack it up your out the cost of the head and machine work.

Do match your intake gasket and intake (to the head conjunction) to maximize. If you so cared you could seal of the port on the head and use fluid to match port them all.

Dude, research and research and take your time. Keep it mild. I would have done my trucks head if I'd have had the time, did the gasket and the intake though.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM

I'm waiting for someone to say you can just plunge bore (big drill bit) the 20R intake and exhaust ports out

They're round?

I've been looking at it and think it's highly feasible... i.e fast and cheap...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-25-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM

thanks for all the replies. anybody else got any input??
Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the RE count? epoxied around the injectors, gasket matched everything, smoothed out the machining and casting flaws, knife edged the swirl ramps, bigger valves, unshroud machined the intakes only, polished chamber and valve faces, experimented with 'dimpling' around the intake side only. Plenum upper and lower 'dams' removed, TB hole machined to 62mm waiting for my bored TB.
Attached Thumbnails DIY port & polish on a 22r??-img_00z01.jpg   DIY port & polish on a 22r??-img_0004.jpg   DIY port & polish on a 22r??-img_0006a.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 AM

did you do that yourself? how long did it take and what tools did you use? give me any and all details u can please. thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 11:18 AM

im surprised no one suggested running sand in the intake... it seems to work on hondas.

seriously though. have you even done a p&p before? if not. dont try it
Old 03-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bone collector
did you do that yourself? how long did it take and what tools did you use? give me any and all details u can please. thanks
It looks like a dremel and a carbide bit is really all you would need to do a p/p on the intake and head.
A guy i knew did a P/P on a ford 302 with just a dremel. The engine ran awesome and had a ton of power, too.

The 20R/22R hybrid is another way to go, too. The 20R head flows better than the 22R head, and you get a higher compression ratio of 10:1.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=

seriously though. have you even done a p&p before? if not. dont try it[/QUOTE]

wow. Don't be afraid to learn something.......
He said he has an extra head and wants to see what he can do. This is the best way to learn.

Think about what you are trying to do the do it. You have a single valve that is small and you want to cut your "sucking" losses by straightening out the flow path. So you make the runner (hole) bigger of course, but you have to watch that you don't go into the water jacket (wall can be thin in spots). Polish the inside to make it shinny so the air flows easier. Voila!!! Port and polish!!

But remember, you have ONE small valve in there. I would say most of your loss is going through that small hole and around the valve. Don't expect much unless you are boosting this thing.......
Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Just a dremel and assorted attachements. The machine shop had a die grinder with extension to look after the dams (I would guess they further mix egr). I don't know what the 20r/22r heads look like, but the 22re is crap, ports wind this way and that- todays technology blows them into the bushes. They are a hemi design- I would have expected better. Even the offshore casting/machine quality is better on the replacements than 1990 oem (I don't know about metallurgy tho). Talk to engnbldr he seems to know what he's talking about. If your a newbie, it's easy to ruin even a set of bad heads- smooth out the casting flaws, don't take too much material off or you kill air velocity. For example- the late '90 Chevy 350 vortecs were very good from GM- guys with good intentions were actually hurting them instead of improving upon. I ordered these bare and had a machine shop fit the valves and make sure the upgraded springs were good.

Last edited by dfarr67; 03-28-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks flash. You and I are of the same mind set. I was getting a little upset when everyone was saying dont do it unless youve done it before. But how ARE you supposed to learn if you dont try it??????? I know the 22r motor in general will never be a high horsepower motor are a drag car motor etc, i was just want some advise and tips. im going to the library to see what they got in books and videos. If i screw it up that bad i can put the old head back on. no harm except my time and a few gaskets. i will probably go with the gasket match idea and see where that takes me.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM

I think gasket maching will get you the most bang for your time. There is not much to be had with these motors but I do know that the intake casting is not mached very good with the head sometimes (from what I have worked on these). The only way to get more power from these (without side drafts, NOS and 11:1 comp on methanol) in IMHO is boosting with a turbo. Toyota came to the same conclusion. And they know how to accelerate.............booo hisssss...
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
I think gasket maching will get you the most bang for your time. There is not much to be had with these motors but I do know that the intake casting is not mached very good with the head sometimes (from what I have worked on these). The only way to get more power from these (without side drafts, NOS and 11:1 comp on methanol) in IMHO is boosting with a turbo. Toyota came to the same conclusion. And they know how to accelerate.............booo hisssss...
20R head, cam, oversize bore...
header
this combo would be the best for power.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
20R head, cam, oversize bore...
header
this combo would be the best for power.
Better then NOS........
Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM

And no one mentioned extrude honing with the intake installed? Gasket match, port, polish and flow balancing all in one. But not cheap.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:46 AM

LC has had a page under construction for porting, forever, there isn't much info out there. Again- talk to Ted at engnblder, or buy his ported head. I personally think these heads are easy to improve from their sad state, saying that- you still aren't going to get much out of them. If I hadn't already put headers and exhaust- I would have still done the head work and put a small turbo on it.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 AM

Ha- not cheap indeed, I enquired about extruding out my TPI......$400. Forget it.

Quick Reply: DIY port & polish on a 22r??