Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

DIY Paint on the 4Runner.... it begins

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
no way, deffinately the rubber wheel! NO RAZOR BLADES....!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 PM

little bit more....

Spent the moring and afternoon on it today. Humid as hell and dripping sweat on to the sheet metal, GREAT! But done with the most of it.... 220 to 320 to 400 then hit the bare spots with the self-etching primer to seal it up till paint time....
Attached Thumbnails DIY Paint on the 4Runner.... it begins-dscn1222.jpg   DIY Paint on the 4Runner.... it begins-dscn1223.jpg   DIY Paint on the 4Runner.... it begins-dscn1224.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 PM

So most of whats left is the couling, the cab top/sunroof, and then taking off the trim/lights and sanding priming around behind them and putting them back with only enough bolts to hold them till the paint is ready..... working on the top tomorrow.

WHAT AN F*N MESS THIS MAKES!
Attached Thumbnails DIY Paint on the 4Runner.... it begins-dscn1228.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I see you are an experienced 1st gen owner so you probably know that you ought to take the top off if you are changing the color. If you don't there will be about an inch strip running the length of the bed of the old color showing when you truck goes topless. But hey! U.S. Marine! You only need one other person to help balance when you take if off. Your sanding work looks great. Are you using a random orbital sander? I have a cheap one I hook to a wet/dry vac when I sand and I don't end up covered in stuff like I used to. You must be miserable in the heat. It's just as humid where I am and I didn't do a lot of outside work today!!

Last edited by Nervo19; 08-22-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
I see you are an experienced 1st gen owner so you probably know that you ought to take the top off if you are changing the color. If you don't there will be about an inch strip running the length of the bed of the old color showing when you truck goes topless. But hey! U.S. Marine! You only need one other person to help balance when you take if off. Your sanding work looks great. Are you using a random orbital sander? I have a cheap one I hook to a wet/dry vac when I sand and I don't end up covered in stuff like I used to. You must be miserable in the heat. It's just as humid where I am and I didn't do a lot of outside work today!!
yeah, top off...... great idea. lol.!

no, i'm saving the behind the lights and under the bumper and in the door jam lines for the day before painting..... which will include taking the top off. haha.

heat sucks, can't wait to hit the west coast again. wasn't even that "hot" just so humid i soaked through my shirt and shorts....!

the green is just the self-etching primer covering any bare metal spots so they don't rust till we can get the primer/sealer on....
Old 08-22-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Are you using a random orbital sander? I have a cheap one I hook to a wet/dry vac when I sand and I don't end up covered in stuff like I used to. You must be miserable in the heat. It's just as humid where I am and I didn't do a lot of outside work today!!
NOPE,..... orbital palm sander not in the budget! all by hand....! fricken sucks... i got a drill and a sicky wheel for the really bad scratches and cancer spots but that's it. the rest is all shoulders and paper.... if you roll a rag and wrap the paper around the rag if works pretty well molding to the lines..... but still sucks!

just have around the windshield and under the sunroof for tomorrow and done till it's paint day..... and yeah, she's S M O O T H..... all rust gone.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 PM

not much done today, shopping and stuff to do..... ugh. got the carrier off the top and rack. ill hit the roof, sunroof, and window molding tomorrow.

anyone know how to get the couling off the front (piece between the hood and the windshield???? that will be my last piece until paint day....
Old 08-24-2010, 01:35 PM

Yep, good old east coast weather again..... couldn't get it into the garage before it poured and soaked everything then just lost the will for the roof/windshield/sunroof. Something to do next weekend I guess....

So instead I detailed it. It's been along time since she's been cleaned on the inside... feels good to be drivin a clean truck again....

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by helidriver; 08-24-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

found em sorry had a busy weekend
Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taco 98 where you get the pic's of the runner I swear that is the same runner Keith and I saw in Bodega Bay or near Bodega Bay this week end. Keith wanted pic's but I don't know if he got them.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 AM

awsome, i love the old retro rally color schemes toyota had.... i'm still trying to figure out the design i want to do.... i've come up with like 20 different ideas but just can't decide on one...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowhite
Taco 98 where you get the pic's of the runner I swear that is the same runner Keith and I saw in Bodega Bay or near Bodega Bay this week end. Keith wanted pic's but I don't know if he got them.
that is the 4runner, the owner lives up there i see it everytime i go camping at the dunes looks awesome, never met the owner tho, but its always parked at the restaurant, as much as i go there ill run into him sometime lol
Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM

A Winner???!

Just doin some more playin around.... I think I like this one the best.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 PM

That is going to look pretty awesome!

The lines on the hood are a bit too wide, in my opinion. I might take a bit off of the left part of the stripes; so that they are still offset to the edge of the center hump, just not so wide.

and that is my $0.02
Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 PM

I am a sucker for the original paint schemes (sticker schemes I guess). Can;t wait to see the finished project.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ripcord_4Runner
That is going to look pretty awesome!

The lines on the hood are a bit too wide, in my opinion. I might take a bit off of the left part of the stripes; so that they are still offset to the edge of the center hump, just not so wide.

and that is my $0.02
No, I think your spot on I was debating the length....
Old 08-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by banditbasser
I am a sucker for the original paint schemes (sticker schemes I guess). Can;t wait to see the finished project.
yeah, me too!!! Guy that was going to help me just got promoted.... from Ass.Mangr. to Mangr and has some 7 day a week hours for the next week or two.... damn it...!! So going to take a bit to try and find a day to hit it.

As soon as the weather stops Tstormin' I can get the sunroof out and finish the roof, then it's all done and ready..... just have to match up schedules......
Old 08-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I just subscribed. You're doing awesome work. I just bought a 97 4runner that someone had painted smurf blue. I could see this same work coming for me in the near future. Not to completely jack your thread but what kind of cup holders are those? The ones in the 96-98 are really worthless.

Last edited by JBurt; 08-25-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM

Gonna be a while for sure cause of the budget but i'm gonna get a set of these and have them color match to the red/yellow/orange for he rear quarter panel.....!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 PM

according to his site i can get the text in this color and style.... awsome... don't know if he can do like a orange state and red trees....

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: DIY Paint on the 4Runner.... it begins