Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
this alittle better i think....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by helidriver
Gonna be a while for sure cause of the budget but i'm gonna get a set of these and have them color match to the red/yellow/orange for he rear quarter panel.....!

[IMG][/IMG]
That's from Sockmonkey on Tacomaworld, right? I have a set of his stickers on my truck; they look amazing and his customer service is top notch!

Love your paint scheme idea, I'll be watching!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 PM

yeah, sockmonkey. first time i saw his stuff was from your paint thread while researching for my paint project! his stuff is awsome..... i'm getting the oregon one for my 4runner but i made the mistake of showing my wife these and she gets a "so cal" one for her 2007 Tundra first!!! she beat me on dibs...!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBurt
I just subscribed. You're doing awesome work. I just bought a 97 4runner that someone had painted smurf blue. I could see this same work coming for me in the near future. Not to completely jack your thread but what kind of cup holders are those? The ones in the 96-98 are really worthless.
a place down in san diego "Protrux", awsome shop! they had a guy who fab'd them up locally. the guy would make 50 or so then take them into the shop and they'd sell'em till they were gone then he'd make another batch....

the shop is gone now. i don't know what happened to the guy who made them... i think there is a member on here... Death Runner?.... that built Protrux website for Jim. He might have knowledge of the fab guy who made the cup holders???
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM

cleaned up the concept a bit..... what do you think, any suggestions out there... ???

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-28-2010, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like the last look
Old 08-28-2010, 04:43 AM

remember a paint job is only as good as the prep work.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Banned

my first truck was black..... I think i'll going back to black. what do you all think? here's some of my inspiration.....
i hate prerunners but i just creamed my pants
Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
remember a paint job is only as good as the prep work.
i think i've hit the prep about as good as i can do..... going to do the top today and try and get any rust around the back side of the lights and molding. might get the top off and sand down under it. then it will be done.

.... oh and the valance....
Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i hate prerunners but i just creamed my pants
yeah, it's awsome... i love the ralley colors....
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Banned

yeah, it's awsome... i love the ralley colors....
actually i hate ralley colors but that car can pull it off because its freakin kick ass. i love how it sits with 35" tires sucked 1/2 way into the wheel well and it sits as high as my camaro, but you know damn well when that thing is 5ft in the air those tires are ganna be hanging 2ft from the ground lol
Old 09-04-2010, 06:19 PM

Continued....

Finally got a jump on the project again, weather and work..... and the whole "EARL" thing.... what a let down he turned out to be.... anyway. took off the windshield molding without destroying it... should be able to get it back on... most of the clips survived and i think i have enough extras from the last time on the last 4runner.

but, the windshield is leaking. definatley in at least two places. i thought so before but now i can see it. rust isn't too bad but now i have to get the windshield out without breaking it and clean everything up and put it and the molding back in, AUGH!

Last edited by helidriver; 09-04-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 PM

before digging into the windshield issue... got in to taking the top off and dropping the sunroof, bumper, and front trim. wiped everything off and primed it. then hit it with rustoleum black. same with under the cowling. that way once the outside is all black silver won't be showing through seams from behind anything. be doing under the sunroof too.

got the top of the cab 220'ed... 320 and 400 tomorrow, oh boy. and the whole windshield thing.... i think if i can avoid breaking it on the removal i can get the whole thing done for $50 bucks. beats $200 that everyone wants to charge to replace my unbroken glass.....!

anyone know where these sunroof drain holes drain out????

Old 09-05-2010, 04:28 AM

probably the next lower spot that rusts
Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my old 4runner after the guy I sold it to bought it and painted it. It was a white SR5 with grey stripes.

He did the paint by hand with rattle can. It even has a slight fade to it. The best part was that he could touch it up easily if he needed to.

He sold it and the next guy just painted it white.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
about a year ago, i found a 4runner brochure on ebay that i ended up buying. it was an original japanese (i guess, judging by the print) and had some different stripings than i have seen.....so i took some pics to post for you. not that i really like any of these, but here goes anyway.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Sweet, Jerry! Kinda like the turbo on charcoal. But the white one was my fav for sure.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Hey Heli!! You ever fix your cruise? I dig the paint thread btw, can't wait to see it finished.
haha, completely forgot about the cruise, lol.... got side tracked with this paint thing... check the diaphram thingy around the what-not in there right? I'll have to search for my own thread and re-read and give it a try, lol. i have some time today. give me another excuse to avoid dealing with the whole windshield issue....
Old 09-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by AustinTaco
This is my old 4runner after the guy I sold it to bought it and painted it. It was a white SR5 with grey stripes.

He did the paint by hand with rattle can. It even has a slight fade to it. The best part was that he could touch it up easily if he needed to.

He sold it and the next guy just painted it white.

WHOLY CRAP..!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!! looks great. i'm going to be pissed if i screw this up.....
Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
about a year ago, i found a 4runner brochure on ebay that i ended up buying. it was an original japanese (i guess, judging by the print) and had some different stripings than i have seen.....so i took some pics to post for you. not that i really like any of these, but here goes anyway.

wierd how it says "american offroad machine" on a clearly intended for japan brochure....

Quick Reply: DIY Paint on the 4Runner.... it begins