Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Did I toast my tranny?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Did I toast my tranny?

Hi guys, newbie here and I've searched but can't quite find the info...I got a 95 4Runner SR5 with a 3.slow with auto - long story short I apparently blew the headgasket on the way to work one day (didn't know it yet though), there was no sign of overheating (according to the temp gauge) but apparently it burned a large quantity of coolant out of the radiator. I found this out when I got home and realized the tailpipe was puffing white smoke like an old John Deere and the radiator was nearly empty.

Back to the beginning though - On my way to work in the morning (35 miles), the truck was fine, I was getting close to work at a stoplight, couldn't hardly get the truck moving when the light turned green it was slipping so bad. Checked the fluid, it was full and pink. Coming home there was no slipping when I started so I headed home, but the tranny overheated about halfway (AT temp light on) so I stopped, let it cool a bit and took off again. There was some slipping at that point but not bad, had to stop two more times in the remaining 10 miles home to let the trans cool. Neither time was it slipping like it was in the morning.

It was 95 degrees that afternoon and I was running the air (which works great!)

When I got home the trans fluid was chocolate brown and foul smelling, but still full with no coolant or water in it. I'm figuring the low coolant and the a/c running caused the trans fluid to overheat in the trans cooler?

There are no trans codes when I checked. I haven't done anything but check the fluid levels and for codes yet - obviously I have to do the head gasket too and am hoping like hell I didn't warp anything on the heads - will be ordering an engnblder.com kit, and plan on doing timing belt, water pump, all belts and thermo as well. All the good tech on this site will help me a lot!!

My question is, though, do you all think a fluid change will help or should I just plan on replacing the tranny? Is there a possibility that even though it overheated and was slipping, it can be saved? What should I do, and what should look for? Any help is appreciated !!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your tranny was slipping because of the strawberry milkshake...yes...its about done with.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would say you need a new tranny, you have probably burnd the clutches up. if i was you i would buy a 5 speed and swap it in.