86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Deck lamp and dome light harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deck lamp and dome light harness

Could anyone please post a picture of the plug where the harness plugs into the dash harness on an 1987 4runner /pickup ? I feel like I am missing the dash side plug from my harness entirely . Thank you .
Old 04-28-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I do not think the dome light harness goes to the dash. Dome light takes power from black-white wire on fuse block behind driver side kick panel.
Picture of rear of that fuse block below. It is from my 1986. Should be same as your 87. Check fuse location diagram on fuse block cover.
Attached Thumbnails Deck lamp and dome light harness-picture_php_pictureid_26547_bf3b6de32ca48d045730c072faec86009f0b2cb0.jpg  

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-28-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

OP just what are you trying to do? It really helps to know.

Light fails to work ?? Adding a light where there was none ??

While the pick up and 4Runner are close they do use different plugs
Old 04-29-2018, 07:31 AM

Rad - I have a 87 SR5 4runner and dislike the idea I need to turn my lights on to then turn the rocker switch on to then turn the rear deck light on. If that sounds long winded like everyone else it isn't much fun in the Oregon cold rain.

Now can I jump that Black-White wire to a hot and be able to switch the switch (or leave the dash switch on) and be able to turn the light on and off from the rear.. The issue would be the rocker switch is constantly lite-up. Maybe it's easier to remove the whole half hearted system and install some awesome interior Led Lights.

any insight would be great - Looking to light up my cab like the space satiation.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If it was me I install the lights you want run the electric from the battery with circuit protection

The Deck light power source is the Tail light fuse

All the dome light and Deck light circuits have in common is the ground

Leave the switch on remove the bulb

Will you forget and leave the light on long enough to drain the battery ??

The Black/White wire is not connected to the Deck light circuit

Unless you have had the wiring modified
Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hiddenforest
... Now can I jump that Black-White wire to a hot and be able to switch the switch (or leave the dash switch on) and be able to turn the light on and off from the rear.. The issue would be the rocker switch is constantly lit-up....
Yep sucks when camping in truck and having to scramble over to the driver seat to turn on tail lights just to turn the deck light on, then back to turn tails on when done, so I modded mine here. The indicator light in the stock rocker will always come on when deck light comes on. That does not take much power. However, if you want, just take bulb out OR disconnect LightGreen-yel wire or Wht-Blk wire...

I also went beyond that; I replaced the stock deck light with LED strip, then I'm converting my anemic stock deck lamp to red night light.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If it was me I install the lights you want run the electric from the battery with circuit protection...
Yes, ideal.

The Black/White wire is not connected to the Deck light circuit...
Correct. As mentioned above^^^. Stock deck light is connected to tail light circuit.

Deck lamp and dome light harness-screen-shot-2018-04-29-9.06.36-pm.png
Attached Thumbnails Deck lamp and dome light harness-screen-shot-2018-04-29-9.30.06-pm.png  

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-29-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:49 AM

Rad - That's an awesome mod - Rear window switch & an on/off light. It's so simple it works!! Now did you add a second switch or relocate the switch? Make's it super simple for camping.

I think my idea is to run a totally separate light bar around the cab with 2 switches. One in the rear & the other by the driver seat.

Been on the road with work and haven't played around with the issue but this is the run down. I open the driver's door and the door lights turn on plus the dome light.

I pulled out a nasty run alarm system that was installed by the PO and 98% of the wire harness under the dash & under the console was pulled apart. It was a mess and then the worst of the worst the rear window stopped working - Solved it. Minor issue - Now when I open my drivers door the dome light doesn't come on yet the other door light comes on. Driver & passage light but no dome. Is the dome light tied into seat belt harness - I removed the seat at the same time?

Long winded and possibly worthless. Thanks Guys
Old 04-30-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hiddenforest
...I think my idea is to run a totally separate light bar around the cab with 2 switches. ...It was a mess and then the worst of the worst the rear window stopped working - Solved it. Minor issue - Now when I open my drivers door the dome light doesn't come on yet the other door light comes on. Driver & passage light but no dome....
But dome light comes on on-demand, correct?

Then, I think that has something to do with the key i ignition/seatbelt buzzer relay module (search this forum for this, charles4x4 thread think). When that module is removed / disconnected on side door will not turn on dome light.
Is think I already posted a bypass for that but could not find it.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-30-2018 at 10:57 AM.