Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Decided to do the head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update....today I had the day off from work so I decided to do more work on the 3ve, it's still cold here 30 degrees + wind chill GOSH! ,,,not use to this cold
well here are a few pics of what I got accomplished today not much, but enough for today
here is a pic of the new head gasket installed on the L.H. side of the block(drivers side if facing the engine).I hope I installed it in the correct up right position,gasket read L.H.and I put it on with that wording up...It's a Fel-Pro #9815PT...I have used that brand in the past without any problems

now with the L.H. checked for flatness (I had to do this myself can't afford any more expenses at this time)I determined it was within tolerance per the FSM, so I cleaned it up the best I could and installed it.I hope I don't have any problems with it, I will have to do the same procedure for the R.H. head.
I purchased new head bolts TTY 12 point (2) kits each kit has (8) bolts Fel-Pro.I oiled each thread on each bolt with 30w lightly including the end, but not to much or it will hydro lock.I torqued each bolt to the 33ftlbs per the FSM then put a white dot on each head at 90* facing forward (front of the engine)

I then per the FSM had to torque(turn) each bolt an additional 90* so now each white dot is pointing straight up

I then per the FSM had to torque(turn) each bolt an additional 90* so now each white dot is facing backwards, so per the FSM these head blots are torqued properly I think

there is (1) 6 point head bolt has has to go in the front right corner of that L.H. torque it to the FMS I forgot the torque specs for now and will have to look it up and add it later
Hope this helps and please chime in if you have done this differently
thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM

looks good your almost done.. your brave for fighting the cold..
Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
so much for global warming! It isn't supposed to be that cold in Atlanta.

Looks good!!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM

yea...COLD IN ATLANTA!!!! has been that way for about 4 days....not good working conditions for much of anything out side
Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THANK THE LORD I HAVE A HEATED SHOP FOR MY RUNNER!! LMAO!!

it's like 30* here in eastern Oklahoma, and it was like 18* when i woke up at 5am.

atleast i think the heater in our shop still works......it better or i'll be a madd MO FO!

good luck dude!! you're doin great so far!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
THANK THE LORD I HAVE A HEATED SHOP FOR MY RUNNER!! LMAO!!

it's like 30* here in eastern Oklahoma, and it was like 18* when i woke up at 5am.

atleast i think the heater in our shop still works......it better or i'll be a madd MO FO!

good luck dude!! you're doin great so far!!
cold as a MOFO here...I did have a shop long ago...but now I just wish I had one with a lift and Ac/heat....sure could use it now.....well you got to do what you got to do, to get er done
thanks for the encouragement!!.....I'm going to keep trucking
Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 PM

i guess i would rather be hot and sweaty then freezing cold...

set a goal and you while have shop with a car lift. those lifts are not all that expensive.. i didnt have a wife to constanly run me in debt i would have a shop goodies aswell. wemon are evil, i set a goal one day i wont be married any more and i have everything i want except a nagging women in my ear.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
i guess i would rather be hot and sweaty then freezing cold...

set a goal and you while have shop with a car lift. those lifts are not all that expensive.. i didnt have a wife to constanly run me in debt i would have a shop goodies aswell. wemon are evil, i set a goal one day i wont be married any more and i have everything i want except a nagging women in my ear.
LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!.....still breathing, wishing and hoping

now has anyone had a problem getting that crossover pipe back on easily when it comes time to reinstall it
Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job buckz, Im in the middle of doing the HGs too. Im just waiting for my new HGs to show up and I need to deck the head and sand the block and she will be ready to go.

What did you do to your heads?

About the crossover, I just took my heads off with the exhaust mani's and crossover still attached, it was pretty easy with 2 people. Im just wondering if I can do the same thing putting them back on.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Great job buckz, Im in the middle of doing the HGs too. Im just waiting for my new HGs to show up and I need to deck the head and sand the block and she will be ready to go.

What did you do to your heads?

About the crossover, I just took my heads off with the exhaust mani's and crossover still attached, it was pretty easy with 2 people. Im just wondering if I can do the same thing putting them back on.
I took the crossover off with both heads and it liked to have killed me to lift all that crap out of that engine bay by my self!!...I'm not a big guy and would recommend 2 people to do this part

About the heads....i'm doing this on a strict budget, didn't plan on even fixing the 4runner. I'm only are doing it now because I have to, so with that being said I knew I didn't have any problems with the heads except for maybe some warpage but not possible because I didn't let the engine over heat .Last summer I did a cylinder leak down test on each cylinder and all was fine at that time.I checked the valves yesterday on each head and used a straight edge on the head mating surfaces and block with feeler gauge and all checked out per the FSM.I didn't plan on rebuilding the heads because I can't afford it at this time (it may bite me lated but that's what I will have to deal with when it happens so I', not sweating it for now I'm just replacing the gaskets and some other stuff as I need to
Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you given any thought to ditching the crossover with the crossover elimination mod? I know your budget is tight, but I think that can be done pretty cheaply. It helps preserve the HG and valves by reducing heat around cylinder #6.

Great work so far, keep it up.

WJ
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, great job and major kudos for doing it in that work environment!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM

any progress today?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wrenchinjoe
Have you given any thought to ditching the crossover with the crossover elimination mod? I know your budget is tight, but I think that can be done pretty cheaply. It helps preserve the HG and valves by reducing heat around cylinder #6.

Great work so far, keep it up.

WJ
yes, I have given thought to that cross over mod, but for me right now any extra work will just slow me down from meeting my goal of putting "Christine" back together before the end of this coming weekend if possible.With the potential of snow Thursday night here in South Ga 10 miles south of the Atlanta Motor Speedway I'm not sure that I will meet that goal
Thanks for the input and I will probably just use some fiberglass un-faced insulation (I see it every day used for fire stopping/blocking in my line of work.I'm a Commercial and Residential Building Inspector for the Government here, so I hope I know enough about that glass insulation to feel confident to try it ) so that may help some? to pack it around the back of the L.H. and cross over pipe to dissipate some heat.I may have to talk to my engineer further about this
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
any progress today?
sorry no progress today had to go back to work but will try to continue this weekend but there is a possibility of snow on Thursday, so I really don't know what will happen..
thanks for asking
Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for responding to my question Buckz. Ill be following this thread so any updates will be helpfull.

Your way farther then me, I have to finish sanding the block and im going to have my heads decked. But for right now, they are soaking in chem-dip, same with my intake plenum haha.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Thanks for responding to my question Buckz. Ill be following this thread so any updates will be helpfull.

Your way farther then me, I have to finish sanding the block and im going to have my heads decked. But for right now, they are soaking in chem-dip, same with my intake plenum haha.
well I'm under am time limit of sorts because my girl starts back to college on Jan 11th so she will meed the pt cruiser and if i don't get Christine running by them I'm screwed!,,,,but I hate time limits they make a person feel pressured and could possibly screw something up,I will say that this 3vze is a bit complicated to work on
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM

well it might be warmer when you working on your truck when its dumping snow.. the humidty will make it feel warmer unlike the cold dry air...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 PM

update....I feel like I have made some progress yesterday and today....my goal, I didn't reach for the weekend but hopefully I'll have her running this coming weekend...the weather here sucks!! and wrenching in these conditions here, under the tent/shelter makes me want to curse !@^^%#*&@^#%!^%*$()@^))(
got the R.H. on and torqued all head bolts according to the FSM just like the other side.....what you really need to watch for it torquing the cam bearings!! you can strip the threads in the heads!! using any kind of torque wrench at all.....I had 2 kinds a clicker and a pointer, both almost new.The torque on those bolts is 12ftlbs . I stripped out two threads on the heads and had to use longer bolts that would reach down past the stripped threads and grab the remaining threads.....I don't know how others torque these bolts with a torque wrench?....I decided to use a 1/4'' ratchet to finish out the rest

this pic is not that clear...but it's cold here my cam is acting up

this engine is a real PITA to work on I mean that with PASSION

Last edited by buckz6319; 01-10-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM

your making it look easy.. good job... i hope you didnt get cuaght in the snow on thursday night...

Quick Reply: Decided to do the head gaskets