86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Decided to do the head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Sounds like the HG is leakin somewhere...
this thread is for a head gasket repair
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I thought you had it repaired...but I guess not if you still have the white cloud and sweet smell in the exhaust.

Try again...
Old 01-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Well I thought you had it repaired...but I guess not if you still have the white cloud and sweet smell in the exhaust.

Try again...

I think he was referencing the symptoms BEFORE the gasket blew ( which would be before he started the work on it ) ? *headscratch*
Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM

I also want to ad that there are thick steel washers(plate washers)page EG2-51&60 under each head bolt that has to be reused ,unless you ordered new ones with new head bolts and don't loose one or you will be on a long hunt to find a replacement

don't forget to install the 6 point bolts that have thick plastic washers a lot thicker than the steel ones on the head bolts.... (1) at front on L.H. close to the alternator bracket & (1) at rear of the R.H. on the finder side and it's hard to see, if you don't remove them the heads will not come off

I have taken off work this Friday to complete the remaining work on the 4runner.It is going to be in the high 50's here and It is going to real nice to work in that temperature for a day.I will keep my fingers crossed that the runner starts and runs fine with no water leaks....it will be a long day and I will try to post my results that evening

Last edited by buckz6319; 01-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Red face Oops

Ok, Ok, it's just me being really dumb and not reading everything and just skimming...

Originally Posted by buckz6319
T4L....thanks for asking that is a good question and for me it was the following
running rough at start up, engine vibrations(which has been going on for over a year but I don't know it this repair will resolve this problem), no power, temp gauge moving towards the H and white smoke out the exhaust after warm up with a sweet smell of antifreeze
I missed that part and thought he blew another HG... Whoops
Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Ok, Ok, it's just me being really dumb and not reading everything and just skimming...

I missed that part and thought he blew another HG... Whoops
............................................ ............
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Funny how 6 lil words can make you feel really...well just dumb.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:30 PM

nope not dumb, your just like me not reading all the fine print sometimes.... and in my profession I have to read the fine print but sometimes I skim
Old 01-14-2010, 06:45 AM

Yeah Lumpy. Same here. I rarely read everything. The only reason I do here is because I want to learn. I'm no where near as skilled as Buckz here, or you, or prolly even one tenth the other members on the boards. I HAVE to read, or I'm going to be in a pile of euphemism creek when I have the money to do mine. ^_^
Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 AM

How's it going buckz I just blew my head gasket right after a hard freeze here in Austin and it is something that I am going to be getting my hands into right after this raining spell stops. It is something I am going to have to do but to hear that someone with similar automotive experience was successful at it, well it would be a big confidence booster.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by budro
How's it going buckz I just blew my head gasket right after a hard freeze here in Austin and it is something that I am going to be getting my hands into right after this raining spell stops. It is something I am going to have to do but to hear that someone with similar automotive experience was successful at it, well it would be a big confidence booster.
Woo hoo, another Austinite!

Rain didn't stop me, I just replaced my oil pan gasket in the driveway in the rain. Took about 3 hours, rain slowed me down....

I *just* got done tearing a bunch of stuff down on my 3VZE; if I'd wanted to pull the heads all I'd have had to do is loosen the head bolts. PM me if you need help.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by buckz6319
update....I feel like I have made some progress yesterday and today....my goal, I didn't reach for the weekend but hopefully I'll have her running this coming weekend...the weather here sucks!! and wrenching in these conditions here, under the tent/shelter makes me want to curse !@^^%#*&@^#%!^%*$()@^))(
got the R.H. on and torqued all head bolts according to the FSM just like the other side.....what you really need to watch for it torquing the cam bearings!! you can strip the threads in the heads!! using any kind of torque wrench at all.....I had 2 kinds a clicker and a pointer, both almost new.The torque on those bolts is 12ftlbs . I stripped out two threads on the heads and had to use longer bolts that would reach down past the stripped threads and grab the remaining threads.....I don't know how others torque these bolts with a torque wrench?....I decided to use a 1/4'' ratchet to finish out the rest

this pic is not that clear...but it's cold here my cam is acting up

this engine is a real PITA to work on I mean that with PASSION
I have a question, I'm in the middle of doing head gaskets on my 3.0. and would like to know what that plug is under your ratchet in the first pic. The wire that plugs into it on my mine is crap, who ever had it before didn't take good care. i need a new one. would be much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM

finished the job today and started her up and she runs good!!....here are some more pics...i'm tired so I will ad details later

Last edited by buckz6319; 01-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM

What the heck were you doin with the lil allen key and the vice??? Then I saw the hickey thing in the block by the crank pulley...due tell due tell. Probably something simple and I"m just being dumb.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 PM

3 mil allen FTW!!

You have to compress the hydraulic piston back into the belt tensioner and insert it to re-use a good tensioner. Most people pay for new ones that don't even need replacing.

You didn't do the water pump and belt though??

Last edited by KelleyC; 01-15-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Heh, the FSM tells you to use a press to compress the tensioner's piston, but a simple C-clamp works nice. New one costs $50 at the local dealership.

Also, I see you've got generic rubber hose for your crankcase ventilation. I just paid $20 for the Toyota version, only diff is it's pre-formed. Really chaps my hide.

Nice pics!

BTW, how are you gonna get the camshaft cover on there when you've got the upper radiator hose and the water outlet installed?

Last edited by betelnut; 01-15-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by betelnut
BTW, how are you gonna get the camshaft cover on there when you've got the upper radiator hose and the water outlet installed?
Hmm, I can't see the text in the post, but can in the notification email.... Interesting idea, running with the cover off to check for leaks.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by KelleyC
3 mil allen FTW!!

You have to compress the hydraulic piston back into the belt tensioner and insert it to re-use a good tensioner. Most people pay for new ones that don't even need replacing.

You didn't do the water pump and belt though??
kelleyc.....your correct on the tensioner,I reused it because I bought it when I did my timing belt and related components replacement a few months ago
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-pics-183911/
Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by betelnut
Heh, the FSM tells you to use a press to compress the tensioner's piston, but a simple C-clamp works nice. New one costs $50 at the local dealership.

Also, I see you've got generic rubber hose for your crankcase ventilation. I just paid $20 for the Toyota version, only diff is it's pre-formed. Really chaps my hide.

Nice pics!

betelnut......thanks.....yes I bought a generic hose for the pvc just make sure it is long enough to make the loop with out kinking...... all you have to do to get the timing cover back on is remove the drive belts and upper radiator hose and tube then the cover will slip back on without any problem....I have run this 4runner many times without that cover on just to check for leaks around idler pulley and water pump
Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 AM

What the heck were you doin with the lil allen key and the vice??? Then I saw the hickey thing in the block by the crank pulley...due tell due tell. Probably something simple and I"m just being dumb.
lumpy...I had to reuse the hydraulic tensioner...so in order to do that you have to compress the piston and put a pin in it(allen key find one that will go all the way through the tensioner and piston but not to long though) to hold it in place, so when you install the idler pulley #1 and have the timing belt installed correctly......you pull out that pin and the piston from the tensioner pushes out on the back side of the pulley thus putting tension on the belt for no slippage

Quick Reply: Decided to do the head gaskets