86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash Lights on my Turbo? WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Lights on my Turbo? WTF??

Posted this in a different thread but it was on an older 4runner. I wanted to post here since I have an 87 Turbo.

From the start:
I had this problem before, where the lights for all the warnings came on and so I replaced the Battery and got a new one. I tested it (fired up) it worked so I turned it off. I left the truck sit for a day. (I was using my AE86 for my daily) and went to start my truck the next day to run an errand, and nothing. I pulled the battery, charged it on a trickle charger since I hadn't run the truck in a bit, and thats when I decided to replace the alternator.

I just spent $130 for, as well as a brand new belt. Had both the Batt. and the alt . tested and was told the alt. was dead. Got the new one, took it home and Installed it. Truck seemed to run fine.

Bought a new alternator, installed it, seems to have tension on the belt, cause my first thought was that it was slipping, but it doesn't seem to be. Haven't driven the truck a whole lot, and the dash lights would occasionally flicker. Today, driving to work from my G/f house, I noticed the lights were on again. I hadn't noticed the lights immediately after I left, but when I stopped for gas, when i went to leave the station, the truck wouldn't start. (Its happened in the past, and I think it has to do w/ something in the PARK position. usually i have to move the gear select and slide it down to other gears, while off, then slam it back into PARK) After that, I noticed the lights.
Ideas?

It does have the wiring for an AMP (which i have removed the fuse as well as disconnecting the MONSTER CABLE from the battery so not to have any shorts and un-necessary power draw.) and taped up any exposed wires to prevent shorts.

The truck is an 87 SR5 Turbo, however the 22RTE was switched w/ a regular 22r that was freshly re-built. (Bought from a friend who did the swap, and had it checked out by Toyota) My understanding is that the appropriate vacuum lines are correct. The truck seems to run fine (needs a heli-coil), and the fuel sending unit (doesn't ever show above 2 bars on the gas gauge even when full.) Boost gauge is full bars, even though there is no Turbo. I think it still has the stock ECU.

Any ideas?

(BTW, despite being new here, I did use the SEARCH function, but I wanted to have it under the correct year 4runner)

MOmo