86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dash and console replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash and console replacement?

I have a '86 4runner 22r-e automatic that i am putting a manual tranny in that i bought off craigslist. I am removing all of the carpet and replacing all of the interior panels with brushed aluminum diamond plate that I am cutting and grinding myself. I would like to replace the whole dash as well so my truck matches, (the old one is brown) it's in great shape I just want it to be different. Does anyone know of an aftermarket dash I can buy, or even a really good custom shop that could fabricate a nice clean one for me.
My aluminum welding skills aren't up to par so I don't think I can fabricate one myself without burning through it a bunch of times.
If know one knows anyone that can help me out I'll give it a try and post pics of my results here.
Thanks for the help,
Jason
Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Originally Posted by jasonisin
I have a '86 4runner 22r-e automatic that i am putting a manual tranny in that i bought off craigslist. I am removing all of the carpet and replacing all of the interior panels with brushed aluminum diamond plate that I am cutting and grinding myself. I would like to replace the whole dash as well so my truck matches, (the old one is brown) it's in great shape I just want it to be different. Does anyone know of an aftermarket dash I can buy, or even a really good custom shop that could fabricate a nice clean one for me.
My aluminum welding skills aren't up to par so I don't think I can fabricate one myself without burning through it a bunch of times.
If know one knows anyone that can help me out I'll give it a try and post pics of my results here.
Thanks for the help,
Jason
I watch a couple of shows on the speed channel. I have seen them spray paint the dash and interiors with a paint made especially for that application.Dupli-color spray paint . It looks easy all you do is wipe it down with these prep pads and then spray it. If you are taking the carpet out one way you can go is spray bedliner down it indestructable comes in different colors and looks great. Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Originally Posted by pete f
I watch a couple of shows on the speed channel. I have seen them spray paint the dash and interiors with a paint made especially for that application.Dupli-color spray paint . It looks easy all you do is wipe it down with these prep pads and then spray it. If you are taking the carpet out one way you can go is spray bedliner down it indestructable comes in different colors and looks great. Good luck
If the dash is in good condition here www.duplicolor.com/solutions/tips.html is the link.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pete f
Ive used that. Its okay but dont use it anywhere that will be touched alot like door handles and window cranks. But maybe the dash where it doesnt get touched would be fine. Looks like photobuckets down now or I would post pics.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is this going to be a dailydriver?

if so, i would keep it as comfortable as possible, the alloy panels are going to be very cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

you could just shoot adhesive spray everywhere and throw down some rugs. i know it sounds ghetto, but its not a limo, and limos look that way.

i just replaced my entire dash (back to the firewall, replacing the heater core =pita, and it was 12 hours for using my old (scrubbed clean) parts. not to mention fabricated stuff.

but, if you really need the diamond plate inside, i would try "wabfab" or just do it yourself.
lay down thick welds and grind away the crud. watch out for porosity and bad welds, but more importantly, you will learn to do it by the time your done.

and you can always go back over it.

i would prefer a laser cutter for dash parts, but with the right grommets anything or anyweld can look good.

i think it would be easier to make it out of fiberglass (or carbon fiber) using the molds from your old interior.