Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cv boot, grease & smell...

Old 05-18-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cv boot, grease & smell...

it appears i may have some sort of a hole in my cv boot (from what i've gathered from reading other threads on this board) i can't see a whole, but as you can see in the picture i posted, there is quite a bit of grease leaking.... i'm not sure how worried i should be about this... i do have unlockable hubs. (oh it's my front passenger side)... what is bothering me is that i'm getting a weird smell coming from that side of the truck... it smells like bad breaks... or something metal.. idk.. but it's only coming from the side with the grease everywhere... i've never worked on anything like this before, and again from what i've read, it sounds kinda simple, but is really messy... any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 AM

I have the same thing on mine - mine look like they've been torn and leaking for a good few thousand miles tho where the old owner just didn't care. You can replace just the boots, which is cheap - like $14 a set. But messy. Or you can replace the entire CV Axle assembly, which you can buy at any Autoparts store for about $100 per side with some money back for your originals. Which is the route I'm taking.

Instructions here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/changing-cv-boots-86-95-ifs-toyotas-81059/
Old 05-18-2007, 07:09 AM

so is it a huge deal to run them as is until i get the money? or should this be done asap? and do you think that's what's causing this weird smell...???
Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replacing cv boots is a dirty ☺☺☺☺ty job. anyone who tells you different can probably walk on water as well. i would just bite the bullet and get the replacement cv shaft. A LOT FASTER just a straight forward swap just dont forget top remove the the outer locking part of the hub to remove the bolt/washer that holds the splined shaft of the cv shaft into the hub.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by INFINITY
replacing cv boots is a dirty ☺☺☺☺ty job. anyone who tells you different can probably walk on water as well. i would just bite the bullet and get the replacement cv shaft. A LOT FASTER just a straight forward swap just dont forget top remove the the outer locking part of the hub to remove the bolt/washer that holds the splined shaft of the cv shaft into the hub.

i didn't understand a word you just said! lol, i'm such a newb... (jk i kinda get it)

but again, is this something i should do like right away? or can it hold off for a little bit?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 AM

You have the hubs that unlock so the CV shaft isn't spinning when you drive, it just sits there. It's not something that is a needed replacement right away. I think I had a torn boot for a little over a year before I got around to replacing it. They are more durable than you think!

I get my replacements at a junkyard for around $30. Just make sure to bring something to pound out the studs if you take that route, they are a pain to remove with the studs still in place.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 AM

awesome, thanks guys!

but i'm still unsure of it would cause a smell or not? could it possibly be the grease burning off the block, or the breaks.. or would it just be the breaks themselves?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 AM

If you want to drive on it a while it will be fine just unlock your hub so it doesnt throw all the greese out. Mine has been ripped for 5 months now the CV joint is still good so im just waiting to replace it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Mine has been ripped for about 8 mo. now, and i have never noticed a smell....

Does it look like it is throwing grease on the breaks / engine? Mine just throws it all of my shock/swabar/a-arm.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as long as your not offroad much it's not a problem. there's still grease in there so the joint is still getting lubbed. however, the more you drive it the more dirt gets in there and then i would think it'll start grinding. get it replaced whenever you get around to it but no rush.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by tombothetominator
Mine has been ripped for about 8 mo. now, and i have never noticed a smell....

Does it look like it is throwing grease on the breaks / engine? Mine just throws it all of my shock/swabar/a-arm.
i think i've seen some on the block, not much... but i've seen some just in the wheel well so, it could be anywhere...
Old 05-18-2007, 11:27 AM

you should get ur hands dirty and check to make sure the boot is torn. It's sometimes hard to see the rip. I have heard once it does geet torn u should replace it, because like someone said the sand and dirt will ruin the joint eventually.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:30 PM

i still haven't gotten a good look in yet, but it seems like the boot could be dry rotted.. i see some slight cracking in the rubber, nothing that would cause it to leak, but i'll get a better look soon, maybe some better pictures as well...
Old 05-19-2007, 06:49 PM

over time the boots will dry rot and crack causing a leak. if it is not split wide open no big deal. if it is split open water can wash the grease away, dirt can also get in the joint and ruin it. as for smell, depends on were the grease is going. bottom line if it is just seeping no big deal, if it is torn i would fix it.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:35 AM

You're fine. My cv boot on the drivers side was completely torn and pretty much non existent for over a year and I finally replaced it because it was snowing out and I wanted to use the four wheel drive again. I drove cross country with it pretty much greaseless and it did fine, no clicking or anything. I wouldn't worry about it
Old 05-20-2007, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you greased the suspension lately & dropped grease onto the CV? If so, that may be the only problem; clean those puppies off & take a look! The smell sounds like grease got on something that gets hot. Take your wheel off & have a look around.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:57 PM

my boot has been torn for over 2 years and close to 35,000 miles, not a problem if you aren't worried about 4WD