Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

crossover pipe exhaust leak.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question crossover pipe exhaust leak.

Just got a '94 4 runner and it has a slight exhaust leak on the drivers side of the crossover pipe at the flange. Clicking sound on acceleration. Took it to my muffler shop and the guy talked like it would be a major job to replace. Thought it was a leak on the back side of the flange. How difficult is it to replace this gasket with the engine in? After reading these forums on all the problems with the 3.0 engine I'm starting to have buyers remorse. Head gasket seems fine and the vehicle runs well. Called the dealership and they said the hg recall was done in '98. Truck has 163000 on it but seems to run really well except for the exhaust leak. Should I fool with fixing this or just put up with the clicking noise until the head gasket needs replacing, which sounds as if it is inevitable on these vehicles? Thanks for any help. Wish I had seen this forum before buying the runner. Not sure I would have. Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 AM

If it makes you feel any better, there is inherent problems with pretty much any vehicle you could buy anywhere. Check message boards for other cars/trucks to verify. (like my friends V6 Cadillac that you have to PULL THE ENGINE OUT to change the head gasket) Also, there is ALOT of VERY knowledgeable people on this board, so some of the stuff you read may seem a bit exaggerated because so many people have the knowledge to be incredibly miopic when talking shop around here. You have, in general, one of the most reliable vehicles out there. Believe me. And if it has had the head gasket recall, you shouldn't have any problems with that at all.

The crossover flange is a pain. Despite that, if you can turn a wrench, you can do it yourself. Grab a friend, your favorite beverage of choice, and go at it. Might have to do a little contorting, and a little swearing, but it's totally doable. Working on pretty much anything beyond the 1970's is gonna have stuff thats hard to get to. Don't get discouraged.

Welcome aboard!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the reply..kind of a funny ending. After I got home and the truck cooled I crawled around and got to the backside of the flange. The rear bolt was so loose you could turn it with your fingers. Got in there and wrenched it down..everything is fine. Haha..just goes to show ya.. always verify a problem yourself, and fix it if you can. Guess the muffler guy never checked to see if the bolts were tight. BTW..just sold a '88 Landcruiser that I got 345000 miles on the original engine and tranny so I am sold on Toyota reliability. I guess I just got a little spooked! Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Very glad to find this forum.