Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crap! Head Gasket Giving Up the Ghost...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well TNRabbit it looks like I'll be going through some of the same stuff you are dealing with real quick too but I hope it's not as bad. I found a Toyota 4 Runner, 1995 model, with the V6 motor in it with blown headgaskets. I went ahead and bought the truck at what I thought was a great price (tell you later). I then started checking around at Junkyards for a somewhat low mileage motor ata good price. I found one here at a junkyard in a rolled over 95 model 4 runner with about 83,000 miles on it for $600. I bought it as is with a 3 month warranty and I plan on dropping it into the 4 runner in the next few weeks. We'll see how it goes I guess. I was debating whether or not I should replace the oil pump or timing belt before I put this 83 K motor in the truck but I think I'll just do a straight swap and maybe look into rebuilding the original 130 K motor that's in it now for a spare. I dunno. This is the first Toyota I have owned since my first car, a 1980 Toyota Celica ST with a 20R motor.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
What's going on with your current engine?

Can you find out who the last owner of the junked truck was? Why was the truck junked? I'd definitely replace the timing belt while it's out; it's REAL easy then! Check the two pulleys as well. That's a good price if the engine doesn't have any issues.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
26scfm @90psi?! I hate you! lol j/k!

I did my WHOLE hg job by hand without any air tools!

It's funny though, I built some kick panels for a guy on here and he sent me every damn air tool in existance from cambell hausfield, and at the time I only had a 1gal electric portable air pump (which sux.) So I was in the market for a <300 dollar air pump and was looking around when my next door neighbor's family had a garage sale... (The neighbor died 1.5 years ago He was a large rotund guy, but always always so happy to see everyone on our street. He'd always wave to anyone who drove by. He also used to dress up as santa...He will be missed.) Well I walk over, extend condolances then start browsing. After buying 20 bux worth of fishing junk (100+ dollar cast net, 1 bait bucket, 2 drive up ramps, and a outboard fuel tank with mercury fittings) I wander into the garage.

Mistake!

There sits a 22gal craftsman 5hp oilfree air pump for 100 bux. There also sits a craftsman tilt head band saw for 100 bux. There also sits a radial arm saw for 100 bux. There also sits a planer for 100 bux. There also sits a Porter Table saw (BIG) for 100 bux.

lol you know what happens next!

I bought the compressor, table saw, and band saw and called it a day at 320 bux!!! lol They are all curently double tarped in the back yard, now I have to buy a shed for em! If only all garage sales were like that one!!

But 26 cfm @ 90?! GRRRRRR!!!!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-05-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
What's going on with your current engine?

Current motor was run hot and the owner says it shut off on him. I can tell you that he drove it with a pin hole in the radiator for years and I think he allowed the core to run dry and thus over heated the motor and the computer shut it down (I think). The truck will crank and run right now just not very far. I could probably rebuild this motor and sell it or keep it as a spare.

Can you find out who the last owner of the junked truck was? Why was the truck junked? I'd definitely replace the timing belt while it's out; it's REAL easy then! Check the two pulleys as well. That's a good price if the engine doesn't have any issues.

The motor from the junkyard came out of a totalled out 95 4 runner that was involved in a rollover. The engine is "supposed" to be fine with 80 some odd thousand miles on it. The yard is giving me a 3 month warranty on the motor so I don't think it's a bad deal considering I'd spend at least the 600 bucks I'm spending now on a head job and gaskets to rebuild the original motor. I think replacing the timing belt is a done deal. I'll have to read up on here about the pulleys and see what constitutes worn out and maybe replace them as well. They can't be that much I wouldn't think and it'll save me money later.

Now I just need to either fix or replace that radiator.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

I got a call from Boyle Future Technology in California yesterday; they finished by generator/alternator! It's winging its way back to the east coast as we speak. Final specs are 130 amps total output, 72 of which are available at idle. Should be a gigantic improvement over the old 60 amp total output!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you care to put a dollar sign on that project?

Kat
Old 04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinking060310
Do you care to put a dollar sign on that project?

Kat
$171.41 shipped back; I paid $13 to ship it there, so a total of @ $185.00. You can get cheaper with more amps output, but I was shooting for original case/belt for ease of transition & reliable output. This way I know it isn't going to crap out on me anytime in the next few years.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 05-11-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 AM

Well I think I got real lucky with my engine purchase Rabbit. I got the motor from the junkyard supplier with the A.C. compressor, alternator, and power steering pump (minus the cap) all for $600. The bad news was he cut the harness on the passenger's side of the motor with a pair of side cutters and it forced me to take off the plenum and throttle body and remove all the harness wires which isn't that bad seeing how the motor had a bad oil leak in the valve cover gaskets and it would have to come off to fix that before installing new ones. I figured on replacing the timing belt and pulleys while I was at it and the rear seal. I was going to put a new water pump on too. Well the belt looks brand new but will be replaced and the water pump is brand new so it will stay. No oil leaking from behind the flywheel so I don't know if I will mess with the seal or not. But all I can say is if it holds up for a while I think I got a heck of a deal!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

It's been a few days since I posted; haven't done jack squat due to weather & work. Here's pics of my assembled (but waiting) engine hoist from Northern Tool:

In pieces:

Then put together; I did it without the manual because it fell out of the box enroute (cheap-ass cardboard boxes!):

and last but not least, my fuel injector report from Witchhunter:

There wasn't a lot of improvement on the injectors; apparently they were in pretty good condition. It's good to know for sure that they're all in good shape, though.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Got my rebuilt alternator back from Boyle's Future Technology; can't wait to try this puppy out--130 amps from the original 60 amp alternator with 72 amps available at idle!

Plus I went ahead & loaded up the piston rings while the weather was crappy.

I also ordered a precision straightedge & a boatload of tools from Sears (30% off!) while they had their sale going on. Check out this one; it's worth its weight in gold!

Also got a KD Tools Ring Compressor:
Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you buy the clamp tool - does it work >?

Nice looking alternator!

Nice Ring Compressor - I have the same one on the way ($53 shipped)

Question about loading the rings - Is the machine shop expecting them that way? mine asked me not to load them so they could test fit(i guess) -- Just curious on that one -- i assume you are going to have the shop press the wrist pins in for ya?

Kat

Last edited by justinking060310; 04-15-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinking060310
Did you buy the clamp tool - does it work >? Bought it; haven't received it yet, but it's a great idea! They had KD brand ones for @ $110, but I figured the Craftsman for $30 can't be that much different and I can't see paying over $100 for a glorified pair of pliers.

Nice looking alternator! Thanks; hope it works well. It certainly can't be any worse than it was in stock form....

Nice Ring Compressor - I have the same one on the way ($53 shipped)

Question about loading the rings - Is the machine shop expecting them that way? mine asked me not to load them so they could test fit(i guess) -- Just curious on that one -- i assume you are going to have the shop press the wrist pins in for ya? I assume they wanted to test fit the pistons & rings separately? Dunno. if you put them in with thte rings on you'd run the risk is scoring the walls I guess. I'm wondering about not even taking the block to a machine shop to save on $$$. The cylinder walls look great & I'm going to check myself for block warpage; if there isn't any, I'm toying with just cleaning it up myself. I was looking at a manual bearing press for $30 and wondering about just doing the wrist pins myself. I'd like to replace my front axle spindle bushings with needle bearings one day & thought I might be able to do that with the manual press. Heck, you can get a 15-ton hydraulic press for less than $100.

Kat
It looks like you'll be ahead of me on assembly; keep us posted on any issues you run across...

Last edited by TNRabbit; 04-15-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 AM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

How's the oil anything showing up there.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pete f
How's the oil anything showing up there.
Huh? Showing up where?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got my rebuilt alternator back from Boyle's Future Technology; can't wait to try this puppy out--130 amps from the original 60 amp alternator with 72 amps available at idle!
That's great, I'm wanting to send them my alt, what type of service did they do on yours? Was it a Y wind with up amped diodes?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's great, I'm wanting to send them my alt, what type of service did they do on yours? Was it a Y wind with up amped diodes?
I'm not certain about the y wind; what exactly is that? And yes, I know they upgraded the diodes.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not certain about the y wind; what exactly is that? And yes, I know they upgraded the diodes.
I think it's some special winding that will give good output at idle, but I'm no EE.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:23 AM

i believe your prolly talkin about the copper looking wires that look all intertwined with eachother??
Old 04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shoes138
i believe your prolly talkin about the copper looking wires that look all intertwined with eachother??

I think we understand what a winding is, I'm just not certain what is the significance of a "Y" winding...
Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

I think we understand what a winding is, I'm just not certain what is the significance of a "Y" winding...
So when you sent it in what did you tell them to do?

Quick Reply: Crap! Head Gasket Giving Up the Ghost...