Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Crackling/Crunching/Clicking/Whirring type noise at cold start/startup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crackling/Crunching/Clicking/Whirring type noise at cold start/startup?

New guy here, so I apologize if it's something obvious. But I'm wondering if that cold start/startup loud whirring - with crackling sound is something to worry about? I'm guessing it's the fan with maybe corrosion or sand or something to work out? I did a bunch of searches and only came up with knocking, chain rattling threads, and I don't think it's that...

It goes away after the rpms rev down from cold start.

Also can all of you guys hear distant popping and chain rattle in yours? Mine's an '87 22r with 31k miles on it. The truck sat in a garage for about twenty years. And I just don't know what a healthy 22r sounds like.

Thanks, I'm about to free it from the garage and take it cross country for the next two months. This includes potential subzero temperatures in Wyoming, so I'd love to take care of any issues before I get stranded and freeze my bum.

Last edited by saltandgranite; 01-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does it sound like this? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...clutch-260758/

I have yet to determine what's been causing mine.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by xylicon
Does it sound like this? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...clutch-260758/

I have yet to determine what's been causing mine.
Thanks for the response. Not really... it's more of a higher pitched clicking - almost grinding - and less of a clunking like yours... but not rhythmic either. Whir Click click whir click click whirr whirr click click click whir. Then it winds down on its own after a bit.

Last edited by saltandgranite; 01-13-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Mouse nest in blower motor? I have had that before.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yodaforce
Mouse nest in blower motor? I have had that before.
That's possible. I just bought the truck two months ago (from the guy who let it sit for 20 years) and it sure blows a lot of debris when I turn the heat on. I'd actually only been using the windshield defrost, so I switched it to blow on me the other day and I was covered in twigs and feathers.

And yes, I brought it to a mechanic for a tune up and all fluid changes (as I'm just learning to do all of these things on my own). I'd hate to pay a mechanic for anything else... how do I check the blower motor?

Poor dirtbag climber, here.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM

poor dirtbag climber makes me think of city of rocks near Malta, ID.

sounds like it could be a bad bearing in the pulleys and such for your belts. maybe poor oiling for some of the internal engine components. does it go away after warming? does the sound change with increasing RPM's?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by maachine
poor dirtbag climber makes me think of city of rocks near Malta, ID.

sounds like it could be a bad bearing in the pulleys and such for your belts. maybe poor oiling for some of the internal engine components. does it go away after warming? does the sound change with increasing RPM's?
Hi Maachine, never been to Idaho. But I'll be driving through there soon.

The crackling winds down with the whirring after the truck warms up a bit (before the full rpm drop to idle). However, if I gas it, you can hear the clicking and whirring speed up behind the engine roar... So yeah, it's always there. But not super noticeable at idle. Basically, at cold start, it sounds like a ton of air blowing around with crackling and clicking going along with it.

As far as the blower motor goes, dear god - do I really need to disassemble the entire dashboard to check it for a nest? I definitely don't have the tools nor skill for that. Plus the clicking doesn't seem like it's coming from the dash area, more towards the front/fans.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by saltandgranite; 01-13-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM

you could always try taking the accessories belts off and see if that will eliminate the sound. if so then a component (power steering pump, alternator, water pump, A/C, etc.) has a bad pulley/bearing. if it doesnt go away then i'd guess internal engine stuff. with the engine sitting for as long as you say, it might be dirty inside. you could try running a little seafoam in the oil for 100 miles or so then change your oil. when you change your oil try a thinner oil and see if that makes the sound go away. if so then its an oiling problem. besides, running thinner oil if you are expecting sub zero temps is probably a good idea anyway.

one last thing. mobil one has the most detergents in it. so running that oil for the next few oil changes wouldnt hurt either with the engine sitting as long as it has
Old 01-13-2013, 04:46 PM

blah, just checking to see if my profile picture changed

ah ha. got it working

Last edited by maachine; 01-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM

you could always try taking the accessories belts off and see if that will eliminate the sound. if so then a component (power steering pump, alternator, water pump, A/C, etc.) has a bad pulley/bearing. if it doesnt go away then i'd guess internal engine stuff. with the engine sitting for as long as you say, it might be dirty inside. you could try running a little seafoam in the oil for 100 miles or so then change your oil. when you change your oil try a thinner oil and see if that makes the sound go away. if so then its an oiling problem. besides, running thinner oil if you are expecting sub zero temps is probably a good idea anyway.

one last thing. mobil one has the most detergents in it. so running that oil for the next few oil changes wouldnt hurt either with the engine sitting as long as it has
Thanks so much maachine. Inspecting the pulleys is a good idea. The belts have been done, but not oem, so they def whine at cold start. I'll just take them off and put oem on while I'm at it.

And what oil do you suggest for the cold temps and 22r? 5w 30 mobile one? Anything better for this little guy? I don't mind springing for good oil as it sat for so long...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:13 PM

5w-30 should work if i recall the chart correctly in my head. 0w-30 is even thinner for really cold starts. you should beable to pull all the belts off and still run the truck, just not for long and as long as your battery has a good charge. try that and see if that noise goes away. again, dont run it for long cause it could over heat the engine or kill your battery.

before you run your engine without the belts, try spinning each pulling by hand and listen/ feel for any roughness/ noise. you might find something obvious doing that.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Blower otor clean out is simple. You can get to the screws (3) around the blower directly under the glove box. The end of the motor is pointed at the floor board. Unplug electrical connector, unscrew, get vacuum ready for surprise. Wear gloves, and try to disinfect with Lysol or something after you clean it out good (rat feces can be very dangerous to touch and inhale). You especially want to try to blow out the vents while it is out to help with any debris that is still in the vents from when you turned it all on.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yodaforce
Blower otor clean out is simple. You can get to the screws (3) around the blower directly under the glove box. The end of the motor is pointed at the floor board. Unplug electrical connector, unscrew, get vacuum ready for surprise. Wear gloves, and try to disinfect with Lysol or something after you clean it out good (rat feces can be very dangerous to touch and inhale). You especially want to try to blow out the vents while it is out to help with any debris that is still in the vents from when you turned it all on.
Wow, thanks Yodaforce. 3 screws sounds a lot better than complete dashboard disassembling. According to this page, it's necessary:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml

And check out a video of what these guys had to do to get to the blower motor (it's not a toyo)

Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM

mine makes a horrible noise at cold start up. I hope its the p/s pump and not the box. The p/s oil is full, but when you pull the cap while its making the noise it looks aerated.
it goes away after a few mins. and the noise changes sometimes" when you turn the steering wheel while its making the noise
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM

Not sure if it's the ps pump. In my experience, that's a bit more of a hum than a wine or plastic clicking sound. I've been doing more research and thought for sure that that plastic clicking sound had to be a broken timing chain guide. That was until I went outside again and cold started my engine. The fan whirring blowing sound with plastic clicking happened again for about thirty seconds and increased with idle. Then both wound down into nothing. I would rev the engine and no whir nor plastic clicking sound. They seemed to correspond together the blowing/whirring and plastic clicking.

If it was a broken plastic timing guide, would it just go away like that? And how serious is that if that's what it is?

Edit: Would a timing chain guide go out on an '87 22r with 31,000 original miles on it?

Thanks so much.

Last edited by saltandgranite; 01-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Okay, so here is the question: How much does age play into the plastic timing chain guides? I know that you are supposed to replace the chain and guides around 100k, but I am at 31k. However, the engine is 25 years old.

I just want to start ruling stuff out.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM

no expert on this, but plastic does not age well. even with low mileage its a possiblilty age could easily destroy it. and if it occurs during a cold start up and disappears after warm up, i doubt its the timing chain. if it was a timing chain issue, it would keep occuring.

do 87's have a fan connected to the engine or are they electric?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM

no expert on this, but plastic does not age well. even with low mileage its a possiblilty age could easily destroy it. and if it occurs during a cold start up and disappears after warm up, i doubt its the timing chain. if it was a timing chain issue, it would keep occuring.

do 87's have a fan connected to the engine or are they electric?
To sounds like a complete nOOb. I'm not sure. I always assumed it was connected to the engine (well, in the two months I've had it)?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 PM

check to see if the fans run off of a belt....or see if wires are connected to the fan. i'm sorry, to be giving you advice, i should probably know more about toyotas. i have a general knowledge of mechanics, just not necessarily toyotas. both trucks i've owned have been so reliable that i never have to work on them

Last edited by maachine; 01-13-2013 at 10:39 PM.