86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cracked Block or Casting Flaw???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cracked Block or Casting Flaw???????

Here's the deal, I have rebuilt the motor in my runner, all put together and has been running great for a while. I was chasing a coolant leak very small, not enought to change the coolant level in the truck, and have found out where it's coming from. RIGHT ON THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK. Thats right, i am leaking coolant from the side of my block. So here the specifics, got this block from a local shop, took it to a very reputable machinest and had him bore it out,hot tank, magniflux ect, the whole works. After i found the leak i drove the truck back to his shop and showed him the leak. He says "it's not a crack, looks like a casting flaw of some sort, and when we tanked it, the sealant prob broke loose". He gave me this black clay type crap, that the shop puts in all of the motors they build, just incase of flaws like this. So i put this black crap in, and low and behold the leaks reduces to only a very minscule drop, that appear really only when its cold (assuming the block shrinks when cold and expands when hot). When its hot, it doesnt seem to leak at all and it does not puddle or anything like that. Now I'm at the point of, do i pull the motor and take it back to him and make him try and fix it, do I take his word that it wont get any bigger cause its a casting flaw and just run it or should I tear the whole motor down and go with a new block? Like I said, its an extremely small drip, not even a leak, I have not wiped it for 2 weeks and there really in only 1 little run down the block. I guess my main concern is, when it gets really cold is this crack/casting flaw or whatever the heck it is gonna get bigger and just start shooting coolant? I Know anti-freeze is supposed to keep a block from freezing but what about in an instance like this, will that coolant get in there and just cause major issues? opinions/advice/anything thoughts are welcome

Oh btw, the leak is on the driver side between the 1-2 freeze plugs where the unused bolt hole is (on mine anyway) which i believe is for the turbo set up....closer to the bolt hole than any of the freeze plugs (my machinst says hes never seen a block crack here)

Thank everyone!!!

87 Runner 22re yadayadayada

Last edited by OrRunner; 11-05-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
maybe a photo to help us illiterate guys?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Hey X,

this is the best I have right now as I am at work, you cant see the leak here as at this point it wasnt in the truck but the first circle is right about where the leak is the second red circle is where it use to puddle before I ran that crap through that the machinst gave me, like I have said, it doesnt puddle anymore, just a very minimal drop here and there, thanks for checking this out for me man!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM

I have to look on mine, kinda dark right now for me to check, but somewhere around there, there might be a coolant drain plug there. that may be leaking.

In the mean time I am gonna troll over on iamsuperbleeder's rebuild thread to get some better photos.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:20 PM

yeah, there is no coolant drain plug there, there is that bolt hole, which is cast out from the block right next to the freeze plug in the middle. The leaks is a little to the left of that bolt hole casting almost where it molds back into the block. It looks to be right at the bottom of the water jacket...but there is no apparent crack or anything of that nature, this is why Im leaning towards a casting air hole or somthing like that. Even the machinst brought out some binocular looking things and looked up bright light and could not see any type of crack, but who knows...if its just going to continue to leak a little, i think I can deal until the weather turns and I have the time to rebuild, but if its gonna get worse as the wether gets colder and is going to crack right open, I may be in for a long couple of weeks!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM

my redneck self would probably just stick some jbweld in that spot and call it good. lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM

and your sure it's not the left or middle freeze plug leaking right? Fluids have a funny way of scattering under the hood on these things. What did they use to seal the freeze plugs? I used red thread locker. I actually had to go back in about a week later and add some more threadlock around the edges of my freeze plugs on that same side because they were weeping a little.

photo courtesy of iamsuperbleeder

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-05-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM

thanks for the pic X, thats where the little drip is, just barely above where that bolt cast is, and a little to the left of the middle freeze plug, I will try to get a pic up tonight of the leak.

Do you think the jb weld would keep it from getting anyworse if in fact is was a very fine hairline crack? or even a casting pin hole as the machinst claims?

Positive its not the freeze plugs, used luquid sealer on these one (I did the rebuild with a good buddy of mine) and when I start it cold, you can watch the spot on the block get a little shine to it, plus I painted the block before it was built and now the paint has been peeled away on this little spot where its leaking from...Also, when the paint went, it wasnt like a long line of paint but almost a perfect circle like a blister would leave, thought that was kind of weird if in fact it was cracked

Last edited by OrRunner; 11-05-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM

it certainly wouldn't hurt. Other than that pretty blue paint.

oh snap didn't read the part the paint peeled away from that spot as well. lol.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-05-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
it certainly wouldn't hurt. Other than that pretty blue paint.

oh snap didn't read the part the paint peeled away from that spot as well. lol.
Why ya gotta kick a guy while he's down X J/K
Not so worried about the paint man, at this point Im not really even concerned about the leak as much as if this is a crack, how long until it just gives on me while im on the trail or out at mount hood ect.....

Thanks for your input on this man, I appreciate it
Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
Why ya gotta kick a guy while he's down X J/K
Not so worried about the paint man, at this point Im not really even concerned about the leak as much as if this is a crack, how long until it just gives on me while im on the trail or out at mount hood ect.....

Thanks for your input on this man, I appreciate it

hahah You don't wanna know what my pretty blue engine paint looks like after about a year. and 3 engine pulls after basically 2 rebuilds.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by OrRunner
Do you think the jb weld would keep it from getting anyworse if in fact is was a very fine hairline crack? or even a casting pin hole as the machinst claims?
Says so right on the package, and their website. The stuff is amazing.

Every home and shop can save time, work, and money with J-B WELD products. Keep them handy for maintenance, repairs, and emergencies!
Every tool box and glove compartment in America should include J-B WELD. It's a "must" for incredibly durable and long-lasting spot repairs.

AUTOS, MOTORCYCLES, MECHANICAL
  • fuel tanks
  • radiators
  • cracked engine blocks
  • transmission & rear-end casings
  • cylinder heads & sleeves
  • generators, starters, water & fuel pumps
  • axles & hubs
  • valve guides
  • press fit bearings
  • crankshaft pulleys
  • casting defects
  • door stops
  • key ways
  • stripped threads
  • body shop repairs
"I own a dragster. During a competition, the cylinder head cracked. I didn't have time to repair or replace it, so I filled the crack with J-B WELD. Well, I made my time trials, and took second place! The head still works great, and I'm not going to order a new one."

"My pickup threw a rod and tore a hole in the block. I plugged the hole with large washers bolted together and sealed it with J-B WELD. That was over 50,000 miles ago; still with no loss of oil. Thanks for a remarkable product!"
http://jbweld.net/products/uses.php