86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Confused with power lose

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused with power lose

New to this forum so not sure if this is the right way to do this....

I have a 1989 Toyota pickup with the 22RE... I recently put a new head on with an RV One cam...new Oil pump new water pump...plugs and wires.. during this process I did the EGR Delete... Removed the air injection... And was able to power brake and smoke my tires while i had an exhaust leak at the conecting flange..
After 100 miles knowing the head and top end all worked out I purchased an LCE header with a high flow cat and flow master 40 series. The truck seem to run great for a couple days after and now all of a sudden I feel like I have lost power... I don't have the up and go that I used to and it feels like my speed slowly increases... I noticed I have burn off in my tailpipe and just don't feel like I am getting the performance I should be after doing a performance cam along with and upgraded exhaust system.
If you have any suggestions on what I could check or what may be my problem it would be highly appreciated as I know power braking is not the best for your vehicle I'm no longer able to do that either after the exhaust or whatever the issue May be..
Thank you kindly!!

Last edited by Mr.Martin; 10-28-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
When I had a new Eastern catalytic converter installed last year, I took off from the first stop light, and said WTF happened to my power. Power came back after a couple stop lights. It was just the converter causing it, but I don't know why. Never has done it since, and only did it when it was brand new.

Might need to go in, and adjust the valves again. While you are there check the cam to make sure it's still doing good.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Diameter and length of exhaust changed, this effects the torque and power curves..

Might want to reset the learned fuel.trim but don't expect much.of a change.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:24 AM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Martin
If you have any suggestions on what I could check or what may be my problem it would be highly appreciated as I know power braking is not the best for your vehicle I'm no longer able to do that either after the exhaust or whatever the issue May be..
Thank you kindly!!
Powerbraking is just fine. Been doing it for 20 years now, daily. Every single gear.

You problem is really strange. What head? "Brand" name? Timing? Valve adjustment? Does the power come back is you break the seal?

Then again, the header is designed for higher rpm power, the cam for midrange. It could very well be the ECU that doesn't know what to do with the data it receives. Engine "could", after it adjusted itself, be running correctly now. Well, what it thinks is correct.

Last edited by ev13wt; 10-29-2018 at 02:26 AM.