86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold start injector sprays, but still no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start injector sprays, but still no start

My 1992 Toyota pickup stopped starting in the mornings when it got cold. When it warmed up to around 70 degrees outside, it would start fine. I removed and cleaned the injector, then hooked it back up to the fuel line and checked the spray when I cranked it. The spray checked out good. I put it all back together and the engine started and ran great. I turned it off, then tried to start it 20 minutes later and it wouldn't start. It hasn't started since. I don't think it could be the cold start sensor switch because it sprayed fine. I am stumped as to why it doesn't start now. Also I will check the sensor with my ohm meter but I don't remember what the range is supposed to be.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:18 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by prowe
My 1992 Toyota pickup stopped starting in the mornings when it got cold. When it warmed up to around 70 degrees outside, it would start fine. I removed and cleaned the injector, then hooked it back up to the fuel line and checked the spray when I cranked it. The spray checked out good. I put it all back together and the engine started and ran great. I turned it off, then tried to start it 20 minutes later and it wouldn't start. It hasn't started since. I don't think it could be the cold start sensor switch because it sprayed fine. I am stumped as to why it doesn't start now. Also I will check the sensor with my ohm meter but I don't remember what the range is supposed to be.
The cold start injector doesn't have a sensor it has a cold start injector timer. You are barking up the wrong tree! My CSI is unplugged and the engine starts just fine in under three revolution.

Check the spark, check the fuel pressure.. Heat soaked vs cold.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I sprayed starter fluid into my air intake and the engine started for a moment. So this tells me that I'm not getting fuel to engine. Next I turned the key to the on position and jumped the +B to the Fp terminal in the diagnostic box by the battery and heard the fuel pump come on. Then took the jumper off and turned the key when trying to start and did not hear the fuel pump. I have heard it could be the open circuit relay. Does anybody know where this is in the '92 toyota pickup?
Old 11-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by prowe
Ok, so I sprayed starter fluid into my air intake and the engine started for a moment. So this tells me that I'm not getting fuel to engine. Next I turned the key to the on position and jumped the +B to the Fp terminal in the diagnostic box by the battery and heard the fuel pump come on. Then took the jumper off and turned the key when trying to start and did not hear the fuel pump. I have heard it could be the open circuit relay. Does anybody know where this is in the '92 toyota pickup?

Start and run the engine with the jumper in?

COR is above ECU behind glovebox.