86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold natured and bad dead spot off idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold natured and bad dead spot off idle

I just got this truck. The guy I got it from only drove it a couple of times a year. So it has sat a lot. He always had to use starting fluid to start it. Then as long as you let it warm up quite a bit you could drive it if you could manage to feather it past the off idle dead spot. It runs ok other than that.

So he passed away and now I have the truck. I don't see anything obviously wrong. I put some Seafoam in it and I swear it fixed it needing starting fluid. I've been driving it a week and it starts. But it's still cold natured, a little hard to start, and still has that off idle dead spot.

I put new spark plugs in but that didn't change anything.

You guys got any ideas. Where do I start. Thanks
Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Check ignition timing.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah I would start over and set #1 to TDC and re install the distributor pointing at #1 spark on cap. Then re time engine.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:18 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the timing. I TRIED to time it but my light was junk. Old school with the spring that goes on the spark plug. Then I don't think the plug wire was making good contact. The truck was running rough and the timing mark was bouncing. But It was only a degree or two off. But I don't trust the reading. So I have to get another light.

I did try to play with the timing. I moved it back and forth. It didn't make a difference in the throttle response no matter where I put it.

And this thing has to be fully warm before you can drive it. Otherwise you can't feather it past the off idle dead spot. Let it warm up, and you can drive it. Would the timing have anything to do with that.

It just feels like a carb problem. But again. I could be wrong,,,lol.

You guys got any other ideas until I can get another timing light. Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Carburettors, even perfectly good new ones are quickly rendered into junk by sitting with modern fuel in them. Lack of use is worse than abuse.

Sounds like your carbs low speed circuit is not functional.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Carburettors, even perfectly good new ones are quickly rendered into junk by sitting with modern fuel in them. Lack of use is worse than abuse.

Sounds like your carbs low speed circuit is not functional.
Well how do I fix that,,,lol. Should I just take it apart and clean it or is a rebuild in order.

The guy who owned it always said it needed a new carb. But he was no mechanic.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Every carb is a unique entity unto itself. No one knows what hands have molested it in the last 35 years.

All you can do is try. A kit with new consumables and gaskets is in order at the least. Some folks have good results, others, not so much.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:08 PM

Can you recommend a place to get a kit?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM

Just a thought. I'm getting ready to put a new exhaust on it. The cat looks like the original. If it was plugged up could that be the problem.

I may want to delete the cat. I guess I'll start another thread about that.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick Cal
Just a thought. I'm getting ready to put a new exhaust on it. The cat looks like the original. If it was plugged up could that be the problem.

I may want to delete the cat. I guess I'll start another thread about that.
plugged catalytic is an easy diagnostics and cheep, crack open the connection of the intermediate pipe. Then replace its gasket once you get a result..
Old 11-17-2017, 01:22 PM

I think I hurt something,,,lol.

It's been running the same. I was just now on my way home. When I got close to my house I decided to drive it real hard and see how it did. Well it pulled good. No issues at all. Then I slowed down to make a turn and it died. It was very hard to start and running rough. I though I blew it up. Kept dying on the way home and hard to start.

Got it home and it wouldn't start. I let it cool down for about 10 min. Still no start. So I used some starting fluid and it started. But now the high idle will not kick down. I got to looking at the butterfly and I couldn't move it by hand. So I gave it some WD-40 and it freed it up.

Now it's back to not starting with out starting fluid and the high idle will not kick down.

I took it for a ride and the idle is way high. Then finally the idle went down some but the truck died. Hard to start again. Got it home and managed to get it started but now back to high idle won't kick off.

Please advise.

Last edited by Quick Cal; 11-17-2017 at 01:23 PM.