Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coils done with pictures, thanks ZUK.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant believe how well this truck does in the mud. My ranch is just a swamp right now, and the truck just seems to paddle thru anything I throw at it. I guess I was going the wrong way with my Kaiser.. I replaced my 1.24 quarter ton kaiser jeep with 46" tires and pto winch with a 350 in it with the yota..and this yota performs so much better....
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 PM

next time just mount one 250lbs spring in the center over the diff. more load capacity and good articulation.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 PM

install still delayed due to weather, and work insanity. Colder than a well digger's hind quarter and wet as heck out side.

Yotaman85: I looked at the center coil that Zuk did and it seemed to be a LOT of fab work. This seems so much easier...

Jack, Remove tires. Cut, bend... install. Tires on and done.

I like simple. The simplest answer, is usually the right one is what I have found.

RJ
Old 03-02-2010, 07:13 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rjfortuna
install still delayed due to weather, and work insanity. Colder than a well digger's hind quarter and wet as heck out side.

Yotaman85: I looked at the center coil that Zuk did and it seemed to be a LOT of fab work. This seems so much easier...

Jack, Remove tires. Cut, bend... install. Tires on and done.

I like simple. The simplest answer, is usually the right one is what I have found.

RJ
Simple rules

Post up some pics there, RJ, if you get the chance. I think if you cut about 2/3's of the upper steel rest plate off then the coil will clearance and slip in. Maybe use some masking tape and do a nice straight cut and make it look almost factory

Last edited by ZUK; 03-02-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 AM

Will do Zuk. That link I posted up above is to your listings right? I started another business (Thats 4 now. Thank god I have a business partner that likes to work) so I've been putting in crazy hours. As soon as I can get to it, I'll do it.

Want to send u the biz when it comes along. Sure I'll have some locals ask me how I did mine.

RJ
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

JAvendan...

That is the link to Zuk. Gearinstalls.com Its in his signature.

Buy from him. My coils were in the mail I bet the same day.

RJ
Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM

I just finished my install. Here are some pics. I have not driven it yet so can not comment. Will comment on ride and noises after I drive it. Now its beer 30.

I used a bumper jack, a bottle jack (between frame and leaf's) a cutting torch, hammer and home made pry bar to put these in.

http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/a...yota%20Pickup/

Here is a link to my photobucket page with the mod pics. Pardon the fishin pics, but they were on the camera and fishin has been whats kept me from getting this done sooner.

I only cut about an inch off the bump stops. Springs sit real nice and pretty with the inch off. The over all increase in height went from about 2" over the bump stops to 6" so about 4" over all lift.

This was a very easy mod. I cant wait to drive it. All I can say is THANKS ZUK!!!

Last edited by rjfortuna; 04-07-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Oh. The whole install took about an hour. The bumper jack helped a BUNCH and the longest part of the whole project was gettin the tools out and puttin em away...
Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM

I decided to go for a ride to the beer store. Oh My God this truck rides like a new rig. No weird noises. I cant remember which springs I ordered but its earlier in the thread.

They sit nice and straight up and down. I noticed that some people's springs were kind of bannana shaped after the install but these sit nice and pretty in a straight fashion.

Again thanks Zuk. This did everything I wanted it to do. Improved the ride, gave me a little stink bug look, and took all the sitting on the overloads out of the springs.

Oh, and I used a reciprocating saw to cut the bump stops, with "the torch" blade from Hdepot in it. Worked like a charm. I heated the top of the bump stop that needed bending cherry red with the torch and gave it a few wacks.

Oh, and I put the pry bar in place and put some force to it. Then I tapped the spring in to touching the bump stop, then I tapped the pry bar in a bit more then WAMMO! Right in place.

Nice stuff.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:04 PM

I was wondering if this idea would work on the tundra as well?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
ZUK

Originally Posted by section 8 tundra
I was wondering if this idea would work on the tundra as well?
I see your profile says you have an 03......if those have the leafpacks directly under the frame....and they don't have those weird inverted shackles then it should work.

Last edited by ZUK; 04-09-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
ZUK

I decided to go for a ride to the beer store. Oh My God this truck rides like a new rig. No weird noises. I cant remember which springs I ordered but its earlier in the thread.

They sit nice and straight up and down. I noticed that some people's springs were kind of bannana shaped after the install but these sit nice and pretty in a straight fashion.

Again thanks Zuk. This did everything I wanted it to do. Improved the ride, gave me a little stink bug look, and took all the sitting on the overloads out of the springs.

Oh, and I used a reciprocating saw to cut the bump stops, with "the torch" blade from Hdepot in it. Worked like a charm. I heated the top of the bump stop that needed bending cherry red with the torch and gave it a few wacks.

Oh, and I put the pry bar in place and put some force to it. Then I tapped the spring in to touching the bump stop, then I tapped the pry bar in a bit more then WAMMO! Right in place.

Nice stuff.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. Come 2 think of it i can't remember tow the leaf/frame setup is on my rig? your memory starts going away after spending a deployment in the desert.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice stuff.
Looks great! Mine took longer, since I didn't have a torch...Had to get creative on the bending of the cut bump stops. I've put over 500 miles on these now and, aside from the occasional "creak" at low speed (usually when coming to a stop), I've had no "scary" moments. Ride is very comfy and I got about 4-5" lift (replaced 4" blocks). My DIY with pics is in my sig.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:53 PM

My springs fit over the stock bump stops but occsionally make a little noise. Mine are about 10" long (cut down Ford Fox body)and I have several thousand miles with no issues and the ride is great!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingbrass
I found some QA1 2.5" springs for about $36 each that are a little lighter:

QA112-110 is 12" and 110 lbs.
QA114-95 is 14" and 95 lbs.
There's also a QA112-095, which is a 12" 95 pounder. Hmm.

I'd like to restore original height, whatever it was, but not go higher. I wonder how well these would work.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 AM

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but what the heck..

I've got a pretty heavty military-ish toll box bolted into the rear of my runner (weighs between 100-200 pounds, lets just say it takes at least two people to lift, empty) Would the 150 - 175lbs coils work pretty good for me? Or should I go with a higher load rating?

I also run without the top, year-round. I live in the desert and have no A/C, don't judge me, LOL
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojave_Moze
Not sure if this thread is still alive, but what the heck..

I've got a pretty heavty military-ish toll box bolted into the rear of my runner (weighs between 100-200 pounds, lets just say it takes at least two people to lift, empty) Would the 150 - 175lbs coils work pretty good for me? Or should I go with a higher load rating?

I also run without the top, year-round. I live in the desert and have no A/C, don't judge me, LOL
I think that the 150's or 175's would be way too much. I went with 14" 125's when I did this to my 4runner and I carry a lot of weight back there when I'm camping/fishing. Keep in mind that the 125's netted me about 3 inches of lift.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 AM

The only thing I'm really concerned about is during hard landings or impacts if the rear suspension will bottom out with lighter springs
Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mojave_Moze
The only thing I'm really concerned about is during hard landings or impacts if the rear suspension will bottom out with lighter springs
I don't think they will compress that much. Especially the 14" coils. Otherwise thats a hell of a lot of weight.

Quick Reply: Coils done with pictures, thanks ZUK.