Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Coils done with pictures, thanks ZUK.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Paint What? You have expensive initiation to get into your club!! And I have had it weighted down, it still rides great. When I first got it, every little bump in the road would hit the bump stops and you would feel it right up the spinal cord. The wife didn't like riding in it. I had to convince her that I would drive after I had swapped everything out and she just smiled the whole time. Partly bc her back didn't hurt, but mostly bc it was 80 outside with the soft top rolled up safari style.

Zuk mod I would have to say is tied with the 4.56's. Both have changed the way it feels to drive it.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stock as possible
http://gearinstalls.com/ Scroll all the way down and there's several links on the left of examples. I just did it to my 92 pickup this weekend but I used a Jeep TJ coil and the only cutting I did was to the spring itself, none to my truck whatsoever. I'll try to get a write up done tonight.
Any updates on this? Sounds like a simple way to go. How much did those springs raise the rear?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingbrass
Any updates on this? Sounds like a simple way to go. How much did those springs raise the rear?
Yeah, sorry, I've been lazy. ZUK recommended TJ rear springs on his website which are 12", I misread and got some TJ front springs which are 17", so I took the cutoff wheel to them to bring them to 14".

The Jeep springs are good because they're around 4" at one end and around 2.5" at the other end making them perfect to place between the rubber and metal bump stops.

How it started;

Didn't quite have the spring in there all the way in this pic, a little more profanity helped. BTW I just disconnected the shock mount and used a bottle jack on some blocks to separate the leaf pack from the frame.

Definitely sits higher....

And we all know the best way to fill in wheel well gap is w new tires.....

The truck has some rake now, I'd say its around 1.5-2" taller than stock at this point. I'll be going to the mountains next week w a fiberglass top on and the 31's in the bed to take to my buddy, I'll see how it sits loaded down and then maybe cut another 1" out of the spring when I get back if needed.

All around I'm extremely pleases, especially given the total cost of $0. Thanks ZUK and thanks Junkers for the thread!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Has anyone tried this mod on a 2wd. Mine rides like a low rider in the back, and the already low hanging trailer hitch hits on just about every driveway entrance/exit unless i'm going super slow. Since the 2wd sits lower anyways, I'm guessing the 12" springs might work. Would the 125 lb/ inch spring rate be too much for a 2wd that doesn't see a whole lot of load in the bed besides my truck box? Or i could just weld some steel plate under the back and my truck and spark down the road...

Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stock as possible
Yeah, sorry, I've been lazy. ZUK recommended TJ rear springs on his website which are 12", I misread and got some TJ front springs which are 17", so I took the cutoff wheel to them to bring them to 14".

The Jeep springs are good because they're around 4" at one end and around 2.5" at the other end making them perfect to place between the rubber and metal bump stops.

How it started;

Didn't quite have the spring in there all the way in this pic, a little more profanity helped. BTW I just disconnected the shock mount and used a bottle jack on some blocks to separate the leaf pack from the frame.

Definitely sits higher....

And we all know the best way to fill in wheel well gap is w new tires.....

The truck has some rake now, I'd say its around 1.5-2" taller than stock at this point. I'll be going to the mountains next week w a fiberglass top on and the 31's in the bed to take to my buddy, I'll see how it sits loaded down and then maybe cut another 1" out of the spring when I get back if needed.

All around I'm extremely pleases, especially given the total cost of $0. Thanks ZUK and thanks Junkers for the thread!

looks good. what size tires were on before and after?
did you have to weld or cut anything?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 AM

I went from 31x10.50 to 33x10.50. Are you asking if I had to cut for the tires? No, I used the stock wheels so the 33's fit fine. I did end up taking the cut off wheel to the springs a few weeks later though because it was just too much rake. I felt like I was sliding forward in my seat! So I cut off just a half of one coil on both srpings and I feel its perfect now, even when loaded down.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

i mean did you have to cut off the rubber bump stop or the metal bump limiter piece? you just slipped the spring on there and that was it?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Oh, yes that was it, other than cutting the spring itself. You can see the bump stops in the 2nd pic. I'm thinking I should have used the rear TJ springs as Zuk recommends as these seem kind of stiff when trying to flex, they ride smooth on the road though.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

wow ok. and you dont think they will pop off at all without being welded or anything?
i dont know anything about heeps, so the TJ spings are cherokees right?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:09 PM

no the metal piece is around 4" and the rubber piece is around 3. Let me be clear that these things did not simply slide into place. I disconnected the shock from the lower mount, then stuck a bottle jack between the frame and leaf pack. THEN I sat in my drive way and yelled profanities for a few minutes trying to get them in. They're not coming out.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM

oh and TJ's are the 96-05 Wranglers I believe. The front springs are 17" and the rear are 12". Zuk has pics of them about half way down this page:
http://www.gearinstalls.com/dc.htm
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 92 2wd
Has anyone tried this mod on a 2wd. Mine rides like a low rider in the back, and the already low hanging trailer hitch hits on just about every driveway entrance/exit unless i'm going super slow. Since the 2wd sits lower anyways, I'm guessing the 12" springs might work. Would the 125 lb/ inch spring rate be too much for a 2wd that doesn't see a whole lot of load in the bed besides my truck box? Or i could just weld some steel plate under the back and my truck and spark down the road...

Thanks

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-heavy-196265/
Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

ok cool. would any other years or springs work for the rear?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice write up Junkers!
I am very close to doing t is mod on my rig. T is write up will elp.
Sorry my is not working on my keyboard
Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
Nice write up Junkers!
I am very close to doing t is mod on my rig. T is write up will elp.
Sorry my is not working on my keyboard
*LOL*!!!!!! No t ats funny rig t t ere!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
aren't these springs made in Fort Smith Arkansas!? hahaha that's about 30 miles from my house LOL

i'm gonna give em a call and see what's up, i might be doing this mod tomorrow if they are open on saturdays. but i will just be cutting the upper metal bump stop, and widening it a little to just slip the spring in there.

unless i need new shocks after this??

i don't do much offroading, aside from goin muddin a little every now and then, but i think i will get some 2" lift shocks from procrap, i won't have the truck a lot longer..but the better ride will help my back LOL.

*EDIT* found the guys website (southwest speed), the springs are now $45 from them?? lol and i can't find the ebay listing anymore.
got a number i can call whenever i get out of class here at the university LOL, Comp II is soo boring...lmao

i wonder if i could be able to adapt a mod like this for the 4runner...it's already got the coils in the rear, but i need about 2" or 3" more lift lol

Last edited by camo31_10.50; 01-15-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Thanks rhill, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering how much the zuk coil mod would lift my 2wd. Did you ever get an answer from Jeff at OMF about the brake line bending? Do you recall where you got the leaf spring perches from? Thanks again.

Last edited by 92 2wd; 01-15-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 92 2wd
Thanks rhill, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering how much the zuk coil mod would lift my 2wd. Did you ever get an answer from Jeff at OMF about the brake line bending? Do you recall where you got the leaf spring perches from? Thanks again.
you should probably post this is my old thread instead of hijacking this one i did get a hold of jeff, he said they also just bend the tubes outta the way. be VERY careful not to kink them...slow and easy. if you've got any more 2wd questions feel free to ask!

hijack=over
Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 AM

subscribed
Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 AM

I like ur jack Junkers. Got to get me a fork lift.

HAHAHA

Quick Reply: Coils done with pictures, thanks ZUK.