Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch / Tranny... oi.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch / Tranny... oi.

So I picked up this 94 Pickup, V6, 5 spd, 4x4.

Pretty beat up but I only paid a grand. Figure it'd be a good investment. It runs and drives, and the 4x4 works.

Now the guy I got it from said he, or maybe the PO (I forget), put a new clutch in... and also dropped the tranny and put that back in. Well somebody did something with this thing. That's evident. The clutch is completely loose until about and inch or two from the floor. And then I have to push hard to actually engage it. I can still switch gears but I have to muscle that stick into each gear. Also, trying to shift into reverse leads to grinding 8 out of 10 tried then it finally falls in gear, I tried releasing and depressing the clutch a few times but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm thinking maybe something just isn't lined up right but I don't know a whole lot about clutches and the inside of transmissions.

I do know that with my last 94 Toyota the clutch had springiness through the whole pedal motion and getting into gear was much easier.

Who's got ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by jawxx; 09-19-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
clutch is hydrolic .. and not adjustable ..

so it's either not blead right (gravity blead) and air in the system .. or maybe you need to adjust the pedal up !!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions/starting points.

I've never bled the Clutch MC or Slave. Is their a decent step-by-step on that somewhere... I did a search but didn't really come up with much.

As for pedal adjustment, I know you can do this but idk how. Something I've never had to do with any of my manual vehicles.

Thanks a lot again
-Justin
Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM

just bleed the clutch, its the same as bleeding the brakes. Search brake bleeding and you'll find lots of different ways to do it.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM

Well I know how to bleed brakes... so it shouldn't be too bad...

Will I need to go buy clutch fluid then? Or does it use tranny fluid?

Thanks, and sorry. Like I said. Never really screwed with clutch stuff before.

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:42 PM

I was in the same boat as you , kinda . Clutch didnt engage right? Check my clutch thread if it helps. I was completely new, but after researching and getting great advice! I did it!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 PM

To answer your question, it takes DOT 3 brake fluid. My guess is that it is hydraulic related. Check the fluid level, check to make sure the slave is bolted on tight, and bleed. Willing to bet you are good to go after this.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Can you float your gears? If you can, it's easy to test whether the having to muscle the truck into gear is being caused by something mechanically (or hydraulically) wrong, or whether your shifter boot and socket are going out.

A fubar'd boot (this little thimble looking deal on the end of the shifter knob) and socket (think of a thin hockey puck with a hole in the middle. or think of a doughnut), can cause grinding and be a real pain in the ass to shift.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:26 PM

ogclew:

I referenced your thread from when you were having problems... at the end you said you got it fixed but it didn't actually say which part of what you did was what actually fixed it.... You said you had bled everything twice and it still wasn't working properly at that point. please enlighten me. Thanks!

SwampThing:

By 'float the gears' do you means just go from gear to gear with the clutch in? I can do this when the truck is off, but it becomes difficult when the truck is on. Reverse is the hardest. Today I actually couldn't get into Reverse at all. The grinding was making me cringe. Man, I hate that sound.

Turns out my brake fluid stock was almost nill so I need to stop at the AutoParts store, and I misplaced my clear hose from when I worked on my last Toyota. So I'm going to pick those things up and get a start if there's any daylight left...

Odd question... There's a black plastic or rubber disk floating in my Clutch MC.... is that supposed to be there?

I'm going to try gravity bleeding my clutch system but if that doesn't quite do it I want to bleed the MC first, then re-try. Is this a good technique for bleeding the MC while still in the truck:????
Detach the metal line, having someone press the clutch while I hold a container under the MC, make sure I keep the reservoir filled, and the plugging the holes for the release of the clutch.

This is how I did my brakes. Was awful time consuming but it worked.

Thanks again everyone. This forum has been most helpful since I started driving Toyota trucks.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:06 PM

Did you look at the clutch pedal brackets?They may need a tack weld or two.
Bigblock
Old 09-20-2008, 05:18 PM

I'll give those a glancing at tomorrow. No more light today. I miss long summer days already.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:51 AM

well It was a combination of faulty truck parts and my inexperience!
1. the master cylinder was ffaulty, slave cylinder, replaced them both
2. At first I didnt know how to bleed clutch, bymyself. After getting advice from this website I mananged it.
3. Clutch sysytem had two new parts and system was bleed. But yet did not engage? I thought it was the clutch,transsmisssion, or even bearings. As i remember it was engaging fine then I turned it on again and no dice. I couldnt have been those things? I went to my truck and noticed that when I installed the MC the clutch pedal height was not equal to the gas and brake pedals. I adjusted it, and got it going!!!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:30 AM

Okay. I seem to have gotten things going.

I bled the Clutch MC, and the gravity bled the whole line.

Every gear engages easily now. Reverse still grinds, but if I double clutch it goes in just fine. That doesn't really bother me.

When bleeding though, on the last hole, when I would looses and tighten the bleeder valve, I would tell my assistant to release the clutch. It stayed on the floor. It did this all four times. However, after pulling it back out it seems to work fine.

Total cost of this fix. 0.89 cents for some plastic tubing from the pet store. Rock.

Now after fixing a CV and a couple tack welds for the stabilizer bar this truck will be worth twice what I paid for it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 AM

You should install the Marlin crawler shift seat bushing, I installed it yesterday. And I cannot get over how much it changes the shifting, its more fun to drive my truck! It was only like 12 bucks I think..
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Yessssss. Install the marlin crawler shift seat. Made an AMAZING difference in my trucks shifting. I could before the install when driving and in 3rd take the stick and move it into the 1st and 5th position.

After the install it shifts like a new truck. You will be amazed. I just completed this about an hour and a half ago and it was amazing to me the difference.

RJ