86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch pedal sticking near floor after shifting in '95 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal sticking near floor after shifting in '95 4Runner

Need to take my 4Runner to the shop this week to find out what is happening but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and found the outcome. The other day was at idle at a light, went to shift and wasnt able to get into first. Had to rev, reverse and jiggle to get it going. This happened a couple more times until I realized that the clutch pedal, after pressing to the floor and releasing, was not coming back to normal resting place but rather sticking about 1/3 of the way of its return travel, causing the gear shift to be blocked before finding its way into gear. I am hoping that this Is a pedal issue Nd not a clutch or even a transmission issue. Anybody experienced this?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
checked the clutch fluid?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Have not checked clutch fluid, but I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Check the fluid, yes, .....also check for fluid on the floor under the clutch master(inside the cab)... Just look up under there and see if it's leaking. Then, get underneath on the passenger side, and look to see if the Clutch Slave Cylinder is leaking. Mine did something similar, but a lil different(I came to a light.... had the clutch in cuz I was having trouble getting it into and out of gear.......suddenly, being the first truck in line at the light, my truck surged into traffic in a CRAZY INTERSECTION! lol... I had to turn the key over with it in gear and around 800rpm it took off and I was able to pull in a gas station and stall it.. repaired it right there.)

My bet would be either no fluid(which is usually a leak) or Slave Cylinder. Could be the Clutch Master Cylinder, as well, because it just looses pressure and starts sucking in air. Still bet on the slave.

Best wishes,

Mark

PS> DANG, been a long time since you joined, but only 38posts? THAT'S SELF CONTROL! LOL..... Plus, maybe a really reliable ride, eh? lol

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-10-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks Chefyota4x4, that's a great starting point. Will get under there tonight and have a look.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If that all looks good, look under the dash at the clutch bracket itself. It is not unusual for the bracket to crack and keep your pedal from travelling enough to engage gears.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Tidal... any news?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Here is the verdict, but let me first say thanks to you fellas for being so helpful. This website is such a refuge and it never ceases to amaze me that so many folks here have not only experienced everything that can go wrong with a Toyota truck, but that so many folks are willing to help others figure out how to resolve issues too.

So, I did not have any leaking inside from the clutch master cylinder, and although I am religious about using the best fluids and changing at proper intervals, I never thought to check on the clutch fluid since purchasing this vehicle back in the spring. Now I know. Since my original post, I continued to drive it with the symtoms worsening until I neared several accidents in traffic like chefyota4x4 described he almost got himself into. Basically I was putting off what could have been the worst scenario. I took it to my mechanic today, who is fantastic, and described the issues. They went through the steps to try and narrow it down and figure out what the root cause was. He first flushed the Dot3 out with the machine and got the pedal in "better" working shape, but still could not shift easily with it running. Turns out the fluid was in pretty bad shape and the clutch master cylinder had gone to ˟˟˟˟˟. They installed a new CMC and I had them go ahead and replace the Slave Cylinder as well. Obviously it is circulating clean new fluid now as well. The clutch pedal and the process of shifting feels like I've got a new vehicle. Very nice. Altough I ended up paying a few bills for what was mostly labor, I am sooooo thankful that the diagnosis was not worse. I really expected that the clutch or tranny was going bad.

Thanks again for the suggestions and hopefully this thread may help someone in the future.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:51 PM

I was gonna say pull the floor mat back outta the way...good you got it resolved nonetheless!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM

My 4x4 Toyo V6 5 speed clutch pedal is staying on the floor! Fluid is ok in the master cylinder on the drivers side firewall. So what can be the cause? Maybe the Master Cylinder inside parts are worn ? Does Nap or Auto Zone make a Kit? Or do I have to buy a whole new Master Cyl. ? Any ideas guys? Thanks. Help! Triumphman 6-21-11 10:32 am EST
Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just to make sure that u get a working unit and not try and rebuild yours and it not work, just go get a new one there not that much, and replace it, bleed good and your pedal should be fine then. autozone and napa both sell a complete unit and i do think can get a rebuild kit but have to order.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM

My clutch pedal had been sticking and the fluid level looked fine in the master cylinder and after bleeding the slave the problem did not go away. I added a linear spring and it helped for a trip or two around the block and then it went back to sticking. Going the cheap route first, I changed the clutch master cylinder, bled at the slave and the problem was fixed. The key to my reply is the master cylinder appeared to be fine based on no fluid loss but after swapping it out, problem FIXED! Less than 1.5 hours total. Thanks to several posters on this site.