86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clunk in rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clunk in rear 94 4runner

hey new to posting on the forum a lot of useful stuff i have found but this one was unable
I have a 1994 4runner , manual, 6 inch suspension lift and it just seems like the rear end is clunking whenever i let off the gas i feel a surge forward and when i shift gears (1-3 i feel it the most) it has a clunk to it if i let off the clutch to fast even when soft it does it but not as bad. I lifted the rear end and the differential has a lot of moment up and down. The Trail arms i think there called (connect to the frame) are moving way more then they should it seems like. I was thinking of the bushings that are back there when i bought it had alot of bushings that where bad. Is it possible for any of those bushings to cause a clunk or that differential to move alot. When i bought it it had REALLY bad U joints and was making that clunking noise as well.

I have replaced the U joints and took the driveshaft isnt twisted (no vibrations) . checked the backlash in the diff and it didnt move to much. Any helps appreciated Thanks

Last edited by Tanker5503; 12-31-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 PM

anyone have idea's what it could be?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 PM

nope its just a stock rear end
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM

i lifted the rear only did first gear and whenever i hit the brake the rear end had like a clunk to it and it seemed like the trailing arms or somthing where moving a lot that was when i hit the brake / let the clutch in. it does it only when i push in the clutch and release it and when i hit the brakes when it was in the air. whenever power was put to the rear it tilts back makes a clunk whenever i hit brakes tilts forward and clunks.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the slip yoke. Be sure to use a lithium moly grease - gotta have the moly.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...kes-depressed/

-ARKIE6

"On the vast majority of Tundras that experience the thump or bump in the rear when you come to an abrupt stop, it is due to binding in the driveshaft slip yoke. When you come to an abrupt stop, the rear of the truck rises up and elongates the driveshaft (via the slip yoke) in the process. Once you come to a stop, the back of the truck settles back down and the driveshaft compresses. If the truck is in gear, there will be some rotational torque applied to the driveshaft even when stopped. This rotational torque tends to increase the sliding friction in the slip yoke. If the slip yoke is not really well lubricated or the machining is not perfect, the slip yoke will tend to bind up and not compress. Then after you come to a stop, the transmission will downshift. During the downshift, the torque on the driveshaft is released which reduces the friction in the slip yoke and it will compress rather abruptly. This is the "thump" or "bump in the rear" that you are likely feeling. As a test to comfirm, shift the transmission to nuetral before coming to an abrupt stop. If you don't get the "thump" when you do this, but you do get it when the transmission is in drive, then it is very likely binding in the slip yoke.

Ok, now that you have determined that it is binding in the slip yoke, you can either fix it yourself or convince your dealer to do it. Dealers don't make much money on warranty repairs unless parts are replaced, so they often may opt to replace the entire driveshaft assembly, which is fine as long as they hand lube the slip yoke with some good quality grease. But replacement of the driveshaft is typically not necessary. The slip yoke just needs to be greased properly, particulary on the 4x4s. 4x4s have the slip yoke at the back of the driveshaft where it connects to the rear end pinion shaft. The 4x4 driveshaft uses 4-bolt flanges at the rear end as well as at the transfer case output shaft. The 4x2 on the other hand has the slip yoke in the tailshaft of the transmission and as far as I know (I have a 4x4) is lubricated by the transmission fluid. I have heard of 4x2s with the thump, but most problems are with the 4x4s. The 4x2s may benefit from had greasing the slip yoke splines, but I have not confirmed this.

The 4x4 driveshaft slip yoke has a zerk fitting for adding grease; however, it is not very effective at getting grease at the point where the friction is taking place. There is a large void under the zerk fitting and it may take 30-40 pumps on a grease gun to actually get any grease on the splines, depending on how much if any grease was in there to begin with. The splines and seal are very tight and you may encounter significant resistance on the grease gun while grease is migrating along the splines. I've had my driveshaft apart examining the slip yoke and you have two options to properly grease the splines. One is to drop the rear driveshaft where it attaches to the rear end via the 4 bolts (always match-mark the two flanges to ensure you put them back in the same position - also, turn the bolts, not the nuts since the nuts have a high friction base flange to resist turning) and pull the slip yoke apart (again, match mark both halves of the slip yoke to ensure they go back together in the same relative position - the splines do have a wide spline to prevent mismatch; however, it is hard to see which one it is especially with grease on them and it's a pain trying to find just the right spot where they will slip together - match-marking the two halves before disassembly makes this much easier). Once the slip yoke is apart is then readily apparent why putting 5 or 10 shots of grease in the zerk fitting won't do any good. You can then hand lube the splines with a good quality grease. I would clean out as much of the existing grease as possible, but as long as you use a lithum base grease there should be no compatibility problems. Toyota recommends a lithium base NLGI#2 chassis grease for this. I recommend a lithium base molybdenum disulfide (moly) NLGI#2 chassis grease for this, the same grease that Toyota recommends for the double cardan joint. Once you've got everything greased up good, slide the yoke halves back together using the match marks to guide you then put the both flanges together, again using the match marks as a guide, install the bolts and nuts and torque. I think the torque is about 40 ft-lbs, but I don't have my manual handy at the moment. Torque from the bolt head, not the nut since the nut has a high friction base. After it is all together, shoot about 5-10 strokes of grease in the zerk fitting for "reserve", but you do not want it completely full as this will limit compression of the slip yoke.

If all that is a little more than you want to tackle, here is an easier way that is probably just about as effective. Take your grease gun loaded with lithum base moly chassis grease and start pumping grease in the slip yoke zerk fitting. At some point you will encounter significant resistance on the grease gun handle and will likely note that the slip yoke is expanding. Slowly add grease at this point. You will likely see the slip yoke expand on each pump of the handle and then slowly contract. Continue adding grease for about 5-10 more strokes unless you see grease coming around the seal, then stop. Now get on the rear bumper and bounce it up and down a few times. This will tend to compress the slip yoke and force more grease along the splines. Now take a wrench and remove the zerk fitting to allow excess grease to escape. Once the zerk is removed, if a tablespoon or so of grease doesn't come out, then gently bounce on the bumper again to give it a little help. Once the excess grease is out, re-install the zerk, clean up the mess, and you are good to go.

I initially used the straight lithum base chassis grease on the slip yoke and I started getting a hint of "thump" after about 10,000 miles. I subsequently put in the lithium base moly (an extreme pressure additive) grease and haven't had any hint of "thump" in 15,000+ miles. My truck (2000 Tundra 4x4) now has 28,000+ miles and is "thump" free.
http://www.the-roo.com/4runner/Propeller/propelle.pdf
Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
Sounds like the slip yoke. Be sure to use a lithium moly grease - gotta have the moly.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...kes-depressed/

http://www.the-roo.com/4runner/Propeller/propelle.pdf
That was the problem it seemed didnt even think about greasing that Zerk. thanks!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been chasing down some wierd vibrations, wobbles, groans and other susp/drivetrain issues for a while now. When I finally got to looking at the drive shaft I found the u-joints to be good,but I didnt grease them for 30k miles so I replaced them anyway. I still had vibrations in the drive shaft so I checked the transfer/3rd memeber output shaft flange nuts and they checked out and were planty tight.
Long story short, I had just done my wheel bearings & ball joints up front so I used that grease to swap out the u-joints and lube the drive shaft, but something was still not right and it was pissing me off like crazy. I was using valvoline- grease for gm,european, and japanese vehicles, high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease (the red stuff). I read this post a few days ago w/ the tundrasolutions.com link and did just what was recommended. Although I never had a clunk like the tundras do it solved my issue w the drive shaft having a vibration over 50mph.