Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cleaning the inside of 3VZE upper intake????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Cleaning the inside of 3VZE upper intake????

Who has had this done. I have been slowly working on it and Damn the amount of carbon build up especially in the TB runner was huge. I'm talking 1/2" thick + all the way around especially from about the half way point to the back of the plenum. Have got most of that out but still need to get the plenum area. What is the best way there? To remove the plugs on the sides. What about the runners, there is only so much I can do there with the tools I have.

Andy
Old 07-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Good luck, but keep at it! I did not remove the plugs on the sides, and that would have made the job much easier. Just be sure you've got the correct replacements ready. (They look like ordinary freeze-plugs to me, so you might schlep the unit down to an old-school parts store and fit them by eye.)

I assume you've got all the accessories removed.

I used a plastic tub (used for mixing concrete) to hold the mess when working on it. I used paint thinner and a bottle brush to clean most of it. Then I ended up with "clean" carbon, which I was able to chip out with the end of a wooden stick. Then I soaked it in a stiff solution of dishwasher detergent (don't over-do that part; all detergents are slightly caustic which can be hard on aluminum.)

In the end, it was quite clean. Would have been even better if I had pulled the end plugs, but I'm happy.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah all accessories off, except for any of the vacuum tube attachments. Real tempted to pull the plugs, and just order some new ones thru toyota as they are only about 3 buck apiece. There is still allot of buildup in the penlum.

Talked with the machine shop that is in the process of doing my heads now and he mentioned that they sometimes go in and bead blast the insides, but trying to keep my costs down, so if I can do things myself I try to just to save that extra dollar.

The one thing I was most surprised at was the amount of buildup, just seemed like allot to me.