86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light

IS there a way to turn off the check engine light? I know why it's on (knock sensor) and I will fix it when I get around to it (could be a very long time). But the damned light operates at 500k candle power (especially at night) and I'm tired of covering the thing with electrical tape!
Old 10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

This is about as dumb as the guy with no brakes. I'll tell you where to get the best advice wait till tuesday and post this on www.pirate4x4.com.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:25 PM

... and reported for flaming... but I doubt you care.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AUYota
... and reported for flaming... but I doubt you care.
Just so you know, throwing knock sensor codes may wack your timing and really hurt your performance.

If you want to remove the light, you can take out the instrument cluster and remove the light light in the back of the cluster.

Hey, this isn't nearly as dumb as the guy with brake issues...
Old 10-29-2006, 04:39 PM

I'm sure it doesn't help performance- but I just don't have the time or money yet. But I know it's there and isn't going anywhere so I'll fix it when I get around to it- so just assume not have the light on anymore.

The KS prob is the wiring harness... I just wish our KS's on the V6 where not installed on the core of the earth deep in the engine.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by bodo
This is about as dumb as the guy with no brakes. I'll tell you where to get the best advice wait till tuesday and post this on www.pirate4x4.com.
First the cat thread and now this one? Don't unpack your luggage.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:43 PM

A piece of black electrical tape always gets the job done.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cebby
First the cat thread and now this one? Don't unpack your luggage.
I tell you what Cebby, putting black tape over your CEL is asking for more problems. I was just giving the guy a little tough love. I didn't flame him but I guess 4 post later you feel the need to chime in. OK you got it, you want to run me off the board, go ahead. I don't think what I said was that bad. Killing your CEL is never a good idea. Let's say another code pops up then what? If you want to edit this fine, YOU DA MAN. I like this forum and I try to give good advice, but I won't take your (cebby) s$$$t
Old 10-29-2006, 06:41 PM

AUYota, if you think you were given a tough time here, please post the same question on pirate.. :-)

Contact the toyota parts dude - Dave, his parts are very reasonable.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:55 PM

a word of advice for you bodo..since you like this forum and i'm guessing you would like to stay here, don't disrespect cebby, he really knows his stuff. there really is no such thing as a "dumb" question. if the guy wants to know how to make the light go off then either post helpful information or simply go on your way.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
a word of advice for you bodo..since you like this forum and i'm guessing you would like to stay here, don't disrespect cebby, he really knows his stuff. there really is no such thing as a "dumb" question. if the guy wants to know how to make the light go off then either post helpful information or simply go on your way.
UHH I wasn't trying to be disrespectin' nobody. If you say he knows his stuff good enuff. Do you know Coach Noblitt? If he makes his CEL go off there are other problems that could happen besides the KS. Hey I was just trying to help, I will just "go on my way"
Old 10-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

If he makes his CEL go off there are other problems that could happen besides the KS. "
If the light is already on, how will he know anyways if something else happens? Does it get brighter?

Also, I think telling someone you are not going to take their (@#$#2) is disrespectful, along with telling someone they are dumb. There are more respectful ways to let someone know that what they want to do may not be smart.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slosurfer
If the light is already on, how will he know anyways if something else happens? Does it get brighter?

Also, I think telling someone you are not going to take their (@#$#2) is disrespectful, along with telling someone they are dumb. There are more respectful ways to let someone know that what they want to do may not be smart.
To start with I didn't say anyone was dumb, I said the process was dumb. I checked my post and I said " This is" not "You are". I was called a clown (by cebby) for not replacing my CAT for $60. Then you have this guy that Knows it's a wiring issue but he's to lazy to repair it just wants to make the light go off. Then I get cebby telling me "Not to unpack my luggage". How would you like to get that truck from someone? Couldn't the guy just PM me and say I was to rough? Did he have to go to a MOD that already has a hardon? I do like this forum, but it's not the only one. And i don't take S$$$$ off of anyone unless they're signing a check, and then very little.

Last edited by bodo; 10-29-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To start with I didn't say anyone was dumb, I said the process was dumb. I checked my post and I said " This is" not "You are". I was called a clown (by cebby) for not replacing my CAT for $60. Then you have this guy that Knows it's a wiring issue but he's to lazy to repair it just wants to make the light go off. Then I get cebby telling me "Not to unpack my luggage". How would you like to get that truck from someone? Couldn't the guy just PM me and say I was to rough? Did he have to go to a MOD that already has a hardon? I do like this forum, but it's not the only one. And i don't take S$$$$ off of anyone unless they're signing a check, and then very little.
you mocked the guy by insinuating by posting his question at pirate, he would be made fun of. furthermore, you write "couldn't that guy just PM me and say i was to[o] rough?" so if you thought the question was stupid, why didnT YOU pm auyota yourself and tell him? hmmm...

and about being lazy, that is your assumption. the guy later stated that he is too poor to fix it right now. you know what they say about assumptions....

anyways, if you have other forum options, perhaps they would be better for your style of posting. i know that its not appreciated here as the other members have plainly put to you as well.

bob
Old 10-29-2006, 09:38 PM

wow...
Some FACTS
1.) I plan on fixing the thing within 6 mos but am in my last semester of college so money and time are a premium with me.
2.) KS is the only thing making it light up so I don't need it. Besides even if something else happens- as was said the light doesn't get brighter so having it does me no real good. This is a reason not to take the bulb out because i can still do a diagnostic on the flash code if there are more problems.
3.) I was looking for a SAFE and easily reversable way to turn the light off if one existed...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:32 AM

bodo - I didn't see your posts here until now, but rest assured, I'd have banned you had I seen them first.

With 155 posts, you should have a good a idea of what is expected of the members here. We are vehemently against things that are damaging to the environment and we don't take kindly to your tone with the members.

No one should have to PM you to tell you that it was "rough". The vast majority of our membership are self-moderating. By that I mean they use common sense with their posting and have manners. Anyone who's been here for a while "gets it"

As far as calling you a clown, it wasn't directed at you specifically. However, if you took it that way because you fit into the group I was referring to, sorry about that. I don't have patience for those with the inability to see the big picture.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AUYota
wow...
Some FACTS
1.) I plan on fixing the thing within 6 mos but am in my last semester of college so money and time are a premium with me.
2.) KS is the only thing making it light up so I don't need it. Besides even if something else happens- as was said the light doesn't get brighter so having it does me no real good. This is a reason not to take the bulb out because i can still do a diagnostic on the flash code if there are more problems.
3.) I was looking for a SAFE and easily reversable way to turn the light off if one existed...
i'm not sure there is an easily reversible way..i'd just electrical tape over it or put a picture there. that way you can occasionally check for new codes
Old 10-30-2006, 03:38 PM

What is it hurting being on? If the bulb burns out it is replaceable. If you disable it you are going to be creating a terrible headache for the next mechanic that gets it in their shop. The best thing is to just live with the light until you can get the knock sensor wire and or knock sensor replaced.