Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Center Console controls etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console controls etc.

Any tips on keeping the center console controls lubricated?

My '94 and '85 have very similar slide controls. The '94 is in perfect working order, but the '85 heater control bound up and needs repair.

I suspect a spray of lubricant would have prevented that, but I'm not sure how much of what might be the smart way to go about it.

So any tips on how to prevent this on the '94 would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Let me try this again. Does it make any sense to spray WD40 through the slot of the heater control in order to lubricate the internal slide controls?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't use anything like WD40! It will attact/hold dirt.

I would just try to clean it out with some compressed air, like those little cans that you use to dust off your keyboard.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:47 PM

I second that. Spraying too much might also affect other wires/electrical components back there.

If you have the time/energy it would be best to actually take that front piece off. Then you can see the pivots and clean more effectively. The knobs should pop right off if you pull them and that plastic front (the one that outlines the clock) is just being held in by pressure. With a screwdriver and some care, you can pop that out too. Note that your AC button, assuming you have it, will also come out.

Last edited by YotaPower; 01-06-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Don't use anything like WD40! It will attact/hold dirt.

I would just try to clean it out with some compressed air, like those little cans that you use to dust off your keyboard.
A reasonable point. However we have a lot of very fine dust up here (8 miles of dirt road everytime we leave and come back home). Seems like we'd just be blowing dust around. What I'd like is to positively lubricate the key areas with "something" without pulling the dash apart to do it.

Maybe some kind of dry carbon particle spray if there is such a thing.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:53 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might be able to puff some graphite lubricant back there, but I would still go the cleaning route. I mean, the thing has worked for 20 yrs - it's not gonna take a whole lot!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by YotaPower
I second that. Spraying too much might also affect other wires/electrical components back there.

If you have the time/energy it would be best to actually take that front piece off. Then you can see the pivots and clean more effectively. The knobs should pop right off if you pull them and that plastic front (the one that outlines the clock) is just being held in by pressure. With a screwdriver and some care, you can pop that out too. Note that your AC button, assuming you have it, will also come out.
Hmmm... I must admit I'm afraid of marring the edges. But maybe I'll try that. You are sure about that procedure, right. Meaning you've done it successfully? Not doubting you, but its hard to believe its that simple. This is on the '94, not the '85 (which I need to actually fix at some point).

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:39 PM

depends on what has it gumed up... air won't do jack to say coca-cola which spilled down my rear window lock button causing all sorts of issues. I drowned it with wd40 knowing that liquid was already down their anyways and wd40 is the only thing that can break that crap up. Needless to say it worked and I could roll the back window down again. I don't use the rear window lock now because it's still a little sticky. Who needs that damn button anyways.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 PM

If you can get in there use Dielectric grease. Theres aerosole cleaners spefically for elctrical components. My shop uses it all the time on Older Interanational and Peterbult trucks. Not sure of the name but I know it's out there. Go to your local Napa and see what they got. Use a aerosole dry lubricante or Dielectric Grease if you can get in there.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rhah
If you can get in there use Dielectric grease. Theres aerosole cleaners spefically for elctrical components. My shop uses it all the time on Older Interanational and Peterbult trucks. Not sure of the name but I know it's out there. Go to your local Napa and see what they got. Use a aerosole dry lubricante or Dielectric Grease if you can get in there.
Well after some time spent searching, I think this item fits the description of what might do the job. Let me know if you agree..

http://www.graphitestore.com/itemDet...d=28&curPage=1

Thanks for all the comments from you guys.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Looks like that stuff will do extractly what you need it for. Just don't over due it when you spray it in your switch. Spray it, work the switch then spray a little if you need it. If you have a hard time getting that little straw in there, smack the tip with a hammer to thin it out...had to do that a few times at work. No need purchase it online I'm sure you can find something similar locally.