Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CEL on no codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL on no codes

Hello and yes I spent all day searching. I have a 93 4runner and its got a 22re in it. The thing is I have jumped the diagnostic and I get nothing I have horrible gas mileage and no power. I have not done a comp. test yet but have no water in oil and no oil in water also no exhaust in the rad so I think I can rule out HG but not sure yet. I do have a little moister around the ecu so I am worried there. Can any one give me any pointers on what else it could be I am running rich as I have soot in the exhaust it does have 350k km on it and I just bought it and have been spending cash on it like crazy starting to get frustrated thanx Jim Morrison
Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM

If there is moisture on your ECU or in it then I would assume that might be the case..maybe think about relocating it..there are write ups on here on how to do it. Just search for it.

Are you sure that your jumping the right diag ports?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM

T1 and E1 right. I may move it but has anyone had this the CEL is always on and I cant clear the issue with unplugging the battery for 12 hours. I just need this to run right and have been reading here as well as other forums and have only found one post with these symptoms and it was not answered so I'm stuck.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Ok I played with the TPS it kinda help power. But the CEL went out for a few miles and it really came to life but its back on with no codes and its a dog again any ideas it went out before and ran like a top a few times but after i shut it off it would come back on and run like a dog again. Thanx again
Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 PM

ok ready to kill this thing!!!! Any one please I played with the TPS again pluged the battery back in and presto no CEL and no stored codes so I put my tools away had a coffee and a smoke jumped in the truck turned on the ignition and bang god darn CEL what gives I am starting to hate my truck all I want is better fuel mileage
Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 AM

First go back and double check all your connections and make sure their solid. No broken wires or loose connections. Not sure since its 93, but check out the AFM and the o2 sensor..the instructions on how to do that is in the fsm.

You also said in the original post that there is moisture around the ECU. You might want to keep that in mind..Like i said before, if its running rich and no codes are thrown and the CEL is on then that could have something to do with it.

Just to rule that one out, check out the junkyards for a spare ECU just to try..if you still get the problem then switch back to the original. It's worth a shot anyway.

Check out the FSM for your truck, might help you narrow it down.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM

tested ecu it checked out fine been running poorly still then last night it jump to life cel went out then this morning it is poor again. I dont get this how can it be so intermittent
Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

This may be completely in the wrong direction but have you checked the cap and rotor? if there is moister in it or issues inside this could definitely cause it to run like ˟˟˟˟. Ive had this problem before.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 PM

gonna burn this thing it still is running like a dog new afm tps checked out ecm cecked out no moister in cap new plugs and wires thermo sensor checked out it will kick out every once and a while and run good seems when I am luggin it in 4th then let off the gas it jumps out of closed loop and stays out tell I turn the ignition of then back to square one has any one heard of somthin like this before please I just fixed all the rust and painted it dont want to kill it know
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM

ok so I noticed somthing else when I roll the key ahead the cel does a double flash then stays on without the jumper in does this mean anything
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Where are you located? Perhaps someone is nearby & might to able to give you a hand....
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM

in powell river canada so little hard there just lookin for ideas
Old 06-18-2011, 09:53 AM

ok light is still on tried everything would the computer trip and put me in closed loop over a mechanical problem and not give me a code because it does not know what it is as it is not part of the diagnostic in the ecm like loose timing chain or something but it still makes no sence that it is intermittent it seams like a bad connection or something as when it trips into open loop there are no codes and it runs like a top I have tried checking the wiring to the ecm and it seems to be ok but thats just continuity testing the wires so I dont know please help I need to go on a trip and this is just gonna kill me at 10mpg as I gotta go 600 miles
Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 PM

ok so I cut into the wiring loom and dear god someone was in there be for me its a mess does any one have a wiring diagram with all the color codes for the EFI from the ECM to all the sensors under the hood I have wires all hacked and spliced and don't know for sure what goes where
Old 06-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Get a replacement engine harness...I saw one or two on eBay, but not sure about specific make/model for you.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 PM

ok I just tore into the harness further any one have the diagram of the efi wiring harness I am in desperate need my truck is dead at the moment and the intake off the previous owner was a hack and I gotta figure this out fast need to know color codes and wire sizes so I can fix what he had done looks like he spliced in ne injector wires but I dont know to what thanx
Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 AM

ok got the harness appart anf found some wierd crimps for the injector power is this a factory thing or other no other breaks or broken wires checked the FSM and it looks right but I dont know any one my grounds all look good no chaffed wires any where and still this intermitent in and out of closed loop what controls closed loop I checked the circut opening relay the AFM the TPS the thermo thingy ecm, cap&rotor, coil, injectors, fuel pressure, what did I miss
Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 AM

any one please need some input the main thing is the CEL does a double flash when I turn the key on and then stays on weather I jumper te1 and e1 or not tried everything does this mean a short or what even the toyota techs I talked to dont know what it means
Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 PM

First thing you should try is swapping the ECU for a known good one. Since the ECU is what controls OBD1 and it's not working, I'm thinking your ECU is damaged...possibly by the moisture you mentioned. If that doesn't work I'd be going through the connectors at the ECU pin by pin looking for anything that is out of spec. Tedious but thorough. FSM link above. Good luck man...be sure to report back when you figure it out.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 AM

Without pictures of the wires in question I can't really tell you what your looking at. I suggest checking out the FSM for your truck and looking at the wiring diagram. That should point you in the right direction. There's a link in my signature for all FSMs, but here are the ones you need. 90-95 4Runner, 93 Pickup. They should be the same if not very similar.