Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Camshaft bearing help? Please?>

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft bearing help? Please?>

Hello,

I am about to under go changing out my crankshaft bearings. I have been given confirmation that this is the issue to the clicking I am hearing from the oil pan and the wobble of the crankshaft pulley.

I was wondering if I could request a little advice before I under go this big job..........I was not planning to change out the main bearings, unless i don't find any wear on the rod bearings....

I was also planning on replacing the oil pump while inside.

My other option is to do an engine swap, but was really hoping to attend to this swap throughout the summer months....... ;/

Thanks very much, and I look forward to reading ALL reply's...

Last edited by landin; 12-30-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: tired and burned out.....
Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your post is confusing. The title says cam shaft, but you're talking about replacing main bearings, the reason being wobble of the cam shaft pulley. I'm lost.

What engine do you have and what symptoms is it showing? The more details the better.

Last edited by flyingbrass; 12-29-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by landin
Hello,

I am about to under go changing out my crankshaft bearings. I have been given confirmation that this is the issue to the clicking I am hearing from the oil pan and the wobble of the crank shaft pulley.

I was wondering if I could request a little advice before I under go this big job..........I was not planning to change out the main bearings, unless i don't find any wear on the rod bearings....

I was also planning on replacing the oil pump while inside.....

My other option is to do an engine swap, but was really hoping to attend to this swap throughout the summer months....... ;/

Thanks very much, and I look forward to reading ALL reply's...

Oh !!! Sorry! - 22RE - Crank shaft bearing replacement....

I was super out of it last night as I drove 1000km from 4am till 8pm..
(winter in the Rocky Mountains of Canada right now....)
So I did mean to say crank shaft - not camshaft (replacing the camshaft and rocker arm's is going on in my piece of Ford Ranger right now.....lol, not having the best luck with vehicles at the moment!!!)

Thanks again, and happy holidays to all!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM

it, doing an engine swap.....
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's probably the best choice. If the main bearings are bad, the crank may be too. I'd do a full rebuild or swap.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 AM

Recap

Originally Posted by yota4runna
Crankshaft pulley wobble?

Well, the crankshaft pulley [harmonic balancer] is made with an inner part and an outer part, separated by a piece of rubber. It is not uncommon for the outer piece to move out of place, or even come off, in rare cases. The wobble could be the balancer starting down this road.

Clicking noise?

Main bearing noise is usually a deep knock in the engine under load. Rod bearings usually make a metallic rattle when the engine is "floating" in between being under load and deceleration.

I would first disconnect the accessory drive belts from the crank pulley to make sure the noise isn't caused by the wobbling pulley.

In the beginning I assumed it was the rubber piece as well, I did just get back from -20 C weather.....

What made me 99% sure it was a bearing was, when I held a wrench to the oil pan I could very easily hear the knocking noise The noise seems to become more violent around 900 - 1200 RPM, once above 1200 RPM the noise lessens.

I will take it apart today or tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Thanks