Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Body to frame mount bushings.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body to frame mount bushings.

Hey yall,

I'm getting a loud clunking noise in my 1993 pickup when I am going over any uneven terrain. I believe the problem is the bushing I attached pictures of. The truck has a 3 inch body lift.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy them and if anyone has replaced them before and can share there experience before I get into it. Seems like it shouldn't be to much of a pain.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:21 AM

Received 452 Likes on 249 Posts
my professional recommendations is that the amount of body lift you install directly correlates to how much axe body spray you use throughout the day. 0-1" is none, anything over that is 8 cans. ditch the 3" body lift and make Toyotas great again. you can get great new poly bushing sets from energysuspension for about 100 bucks, or you can get a good custom kit from 4Crawler with new hardware for a little more. I have run 2 kits from 4crawler and his stuff is top notch.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by keycw
my professional recommendations is that the amount of body lift you install directly correlates to how much axe body spray you use throughout the day. 0-1" is none, anything over that is 8 cans. ditch the 3" body lift and make Toyotas great again. you can get great new poly bushing sets from energysuspension for about 100 bucks, or you can get a good custom kit from 4Crawler with new hardware for a little more. I have run 2 kits from 4crawler and his stuff is top notch.
If I ditch the lift what should I do with the cases of axe I bought?!?! That stuff ain't cheap buddy!

The truck has a 3.4 in it and from my understanding it needs some lift for clearance for the intake? I'm not sure. I'm not opposed to getting rid of the lift. Could I still run my 32" tires? I just got the truck and definitely wanna make it right. What exactly are the negatives of a body lift besides the stench of axe body spray and the sticky residue of monster energy drinks??
Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by LoneStarr404
Hey yall,

I'm getting a loud clunking noise in my 1993 pickup when I am going over any uneven terrain. I believe the problem is the bushing I attached pictures of. The truck has a 3 inch body lift.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy them and if anyone has replaced them before and can share there experience before I get into it. Seems like it shouldn't be to much of a pain.

4Crawler?

https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale...l#PolyBushings

The following 2 users liked this post by SomedayJ:
coopster (05-19-2019), LoneStarr404 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 AM

If I ditch the lift what should I do with the cases of axe I bought?!?! That stuff ain't cheap buddy!

The truck has a 3.4 in it and from my understanding it needs some lift for clearance for the intake? I'm not sure. I'm not opposed to getting rid of the lift. Could I still run my 32" tires? I just got the truck and definitely wanna make it right. What exactly are the negatives of a body lift besides the stench of axe body spray and the sticky residue of monster energy drinks??
aside form looking god awful, you've created a weakpoint between the frame and the body that shouldn't exist, you've stretched your coolant lines, created extensions in gearbox linkage that should be there, made a huge gap between your bumpers and body (also falls into the looks bad category), and to be blunt its a cheap way out of doing something. do it the right way and invest in your suspension. you gain tire clearance with a body lift but gain nothing for wheel travel.

now, with the 3.4 swap I could be convinced that there were clearance issues but I don't it would be drastic enough for a 3" body lift. maybe someone on here can chime in that's done the swap. ive seen a few trucks with that swap and their body to bumper ratio was still good. fitting 32s on a stocker with no lift would rub, but you could get away with those tires and MINIMAL lift, like maybe a few cranks on the torsion bars and a small block or shackle. as for all the monster drinks, I recommend maybe switching over to Bang, they don't have as much crap in them.
LoneStarr404 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 AM

aside form looking god awful, you've created a weakpoint between the frame and the body that shouldn't exist, you've stretched your coolant lines, created extensions in gearbox linkage that should be there, made a huge gap between your bumpers and body (also falls into the looks bad category), and to be blunt its a cheap way out of doing something. do it the right way and invest in your suspension. you gain tire clearance with a body lift but gain nothing for wheel travel.

now, with the 3.4 swap I could be convinced that there were clearance issues but I don't it would be drastic enough for a 3" body lift. maybe someone on here can chime in that's done the swap. ive seen a few trucks with that swap and their body to bumper ratio was still good. fitting 32s on a stocker with no lift would rub, but you could get away with those tires and MINIMAL lift, like maybe a few cranks on the torsion bars and a small block or shackle. as for all the monster drinks, I recommend maybe switching over to Bang, they don't have as much crap in them.
Eventually I will be getting into the suspension but funds will be holding that off for a bit. I think I will just order the bushings from 4crawler for now.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Eventually I will be getting into the suspension but funds will be holding that off for a bit. I think I will just order the bushings from 4crawler for now.
you can specify on his site what length bushings, he will cut any length you want. you can also ask for hardware or upgraded hardware. read carefully the site isn't the most up to date thing in the world.

Last edited by keycw; 05-13-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:41 AM

you cant specify on his site what length bushings, he will cut any length you want. you can also ask for hardware or upgraded hardware. read carefully the site isn't the most up to date thing in the world.

I think I got them ordered right. I emailed them first. Quick response. Definitely a little confusing.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the 3.4 swapped into mine and I used a 1 inch body lift (4Crawler's kit) and it clears. I have read that the 2nd Gen may not require a body lift at all.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 PM

So I got the bushings and hardware quickly. Everything looks good. I'm fighting a couple of bolts though and I was wondering if yall had any advice on getting them out.

It's the bolts on the front cab body mounts holding the bracket to the frame. I cant get a socket on them and a open end wrench barely holds. Worried about rounding them. Since I have new bushings can I just get it red hot and hopefully its loose enough to twist out of there??

Last edited by LoneStarr404; 05-17-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
I think you don't need to remove the bolt in the left.
The procedure is similar like in this video (but no lift of course), I believe:

But lets wait for the experts advice.

Last edited by SomedayJ; 05-17-2019 at 09:58 PM.
LoneStarr404 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
I think you don't need to remove the bolt in the left.
The procedure is similar like in this video (but no lift of course), I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKgqam0VhjA

But lets wait for the experts advice.
I think its different. The set of bushing I got came with a replacement bracket also. I just cant get a wrench or socket on the nut because how close it is to the lift block. Might try grinding down a socket and see if I can get it on there.