Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

On-board Air - Who has it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile On-board Air - Who has it?

I am contemplating doing an on-board air setup for my 89' pickup. What are the main differences between running CO2 and compressed air. I know the powertank setups are to expensive and I have had an engine driven compressor before and I don't want to go that route. I already have a 5 gallon air tank sitting around and was thinking of getting a viair compressor (largely popular with the minitruck/airbag community) and running it that way. I know that I would need a regulator, pressure switch, oil/water trap and then the hoses and what not. I mainly am going to use this for airing up tires. What setups does everyone else run and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by s.c.i.e.n.c.e; 08-13-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had a 12 volt (Thomas) compressor and it has worked flawlessly for the last 10 years:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...BoardAir.shtml

It'll put out 2.2 CFM and has a 100% duty cycle (make sure you get a high duty cycle unit). One trip I had to use my compressor to air up a total of 6 trucks before heading home. We planned to hit a remote gas station 50 miles from the next town, but when we got their, found their big compressor had broken down early that day. Took 45-50 minutes of constant running, but the compressor and motor did that without a problem.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-13-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Did you run a reserve tank as well or did you just have it hooked up to a switch so you could turn it off and on?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[hijack] 4crawler can I just drop off my rig to you and a blank check and have you build it for me? I love your site but it breaks my heart to see how far I've still got to go. [/hijack]
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by s.c.i.e.n.c.e
Did you run a reserve tank as well or did you just have it hooked up to a switch so you could turn it off and on?
As noted on the web page:

Yes:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Storage

and yes:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...r.shtml#Wiring
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are alternatives to Powertank that are MUCH cheaper. I got a basic CO2 set up: 20lb Tank, reg, hoses, and fittings, for 50 bucks. If you don't have a source for a free tank (beverage canisters from a restaurant) you'd be looking at 100-150 for a full set up.

However, looks like you are looking specifically for a VIAIR set up, so I'll stop there. Just wanted to point out the alternatives.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I'll be setting up my mobile air system here soon in my 91 PU using the setup your talking about with a Vair compressor and probably a 5gl tank or maybe a little larger. I cleared out my toolbox and mounted a second battery, so running the power will be very easy...

or coarse all the crap to the left in the box will be gone, but you get the idea of how easy wiring will be with having a battery right there by the compressor...

just an idea if you haven't thought about that already
Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i already got my tank from a old air compressor.... i also have one of those big like 5 foot call co2 beverage tanks in my garage.... i wonder how many tires that could fill!!

i was thinking about going with the stock toyota a.c compressor but ill prolly go with this guy in canada that sells winches and stuff..his prooducts and service TOP NOTCH!
http://www.freewebs.com/titanwinches/home.htm
Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 PM

I'll have to look into the beverage canister, does it already come with a regulator? Oh yea, and I don't have any hookups to get one so where can I buy one. If I can do CO2 for $150 then I would.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

With CO2, don't forget to factor in the cost of the gas in your area. Going to be in the $10-$20 range per fill-up on your tank.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll have to look into the beverage canister, does it already come with a regulator? Oh yea, and I don't have any hookups to get one so where can I buy one. If I can do CO2 for $150 then I would.
I got my tank for free. Regulator, hoses, and fittings came to 50 bucks. The regulator has worked fine for years. I have upgraded the hoses and fittings.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
With CO2, don't forget to factor in the cost of the gas in your area. Going to be in the $10-$20 range per fill-up on your tank.
Very true.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM

I think I will mount the 5 gallon tank on the spare tire crossmember (tire is long gone) and then mount a viair 380 compressor in the engine compartment. Should work out well and provide plenty of oomph for tires or air tools.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

I think I will mount the 5 gallon tank on the spare tire crossmember (tire is long gone) and then mount a viair 380 compressor in the engine compartment. Should work out well and provide plenty of oomph for tires or air tools.
The hose routing would be fun...

My suggestion would be to get the pump and tank as close together as possible, maybe under the truck with the tank ( probably not a very good location though, unless you're a mall crawler and your using it for air horns ), or maybe just between a wheel hump and the front of the bed; could even make a nice little diamond plate cover for it mounted there too. Not only makes hose routing easier, but minimizes possible hose failure points as well...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 PM

You are probably right. I was thinking of mounting it in the engine bay to keep it out of the elements, but there is also a nice place on the inner side of the left frame rail that it might fit nicely. It will be easier to run some wires to the engine compartment then running 1/2" airline from the engine to the tank in the rear end.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

You are probably right. I was thinking of mounting it in the engine bay to keep it out of the elements, but there is also a nice place on the inner side of the left frame rail that it might fit nicely. It will be easier to run some wires to the engine compartment then running 1/2" airline from the engine to the tank in the rear end.
The only time I would worry about having it mounted close to or on a frame rail is on deep water crossings. But if you don't plan on doing that, then go for it, but I would still recomment fabing up some sort of armor for it to keep it from getting beat'n by road debries
Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an ultimate air tank....its basically a powertank "knockoff" but the quality is top notch. Highly recommended.....cheaper than a powertank
http://www.ultimate-air.com/

What you are looking for is high CFM numbers....If you can't run air tools or re-seat a bead the air is pretty much worthless (to me anyways)

I love the flow rate on the co2 bottle and the portability...but it sucks when you run out on the trail....plus you gotta take it and PAY for air (which I dont really like) Overall, it is a great product...same quality as a PT but cheaper

I am looking into a secondary back up air (maybe a viair compressor) for emergencies.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to your local gas supply and see what they have in the way of CO2 tanks. Mine had a used 20lb aluminum tank with a used regulator for about $100. Steel tanks are cheaper but weight more.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:13 AM

If I run a viair 380 into a 3 or 5 gallon tank using a 165/200psi pressure switch, do I need to run a regulator? I have the option of using different pressure switches such as a 110/145 or a 145/175. Since the 380 is rated for 200 psi that is what switch I was going to run but I would rather not have to buy a regulator. What is the reccomended pressure for filling tires and running air tools? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

For tires, you can use any pressure, just go by the pressure in the tire. For air tools, they usually like 90-100 psi. You could get a low cost pressure regulator if needed.

I can swap out pressure switches in my setup pretty easy. I used to run an 85-100 psi switch and now I use 55-70 psi.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM

I have been looking for a "low cost" pressure regulator with a guage on it but haven't been able to find one. Could you refer me to one please.

Quick Reply: On-board Air - Who has it?