86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

blown motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil pump drive spline not going all the way through the craftshaft issue

I am about to install the timing chain and its components. So far, I was able put in the cam gear and bolt it down. Also, the gear timing spocket on the crankshaft as well. I am kind of stuck on the oil pump drive spline when trying to put it in the crankshaft. It does not go all the way in like it should be prior to installing the timing cover and the oil pump. Inside the drive spline, I notice two different levels of sizes holes and the drive spline only goes so far to the first groove on top and there are three groves total. Do I hammer the drive spline to make sure it goes al the way through inside the crankshaft? Any ideas on this issue?
Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I remember a 22re oil pump drive spline as being completely smooth inside except for the keyway groove, so not sure what you're referring to with the different steps and holes inside it. You might have the wrong part. It should also slide onto the crank without too much difficulty. Make sure the smooth area without splines goes in first, but I don't remember any other tricks to it. Post a photo of the part and maybe we'll see what's going on.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
So I just went and took some pictures of an extra 22re oil pump I had laying around. There are to cogs/gears in the pump. The outer big one and the inner small one. The outer one is smooth on both sides. The inner one has a sleeve that slides in to the oil pump. Make sure those cogs are orientated correctly. Also make sure the to arrows/marks on the cogs are on the same side facing the timing cover. I have found packing the pump with grease before install helps hold it together for install and also helps prime the pump. I used white lithium grease, because I have a lot of it. I have heard of people also using Vaseline because its what was on hand. When trying to slide the pump on the shaft if it wont go on pull it back off and rotate the gears a bit and retry.
Attached Thumbnails blown motor?-photo320.jpg   blown motor?-photo350.jpg   blown motor?-photo235.jpg   blown motor?-photo553.jpg  

Last edited by thefishguy77; 05-13-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Hi gsp4life and thefishguy77, good to have you back to read this thread and thanks for the response. Also, I was trying to find the word that has this "bump groove inside the oil pump drive spline" and you mentioned keyway groove. Thanks for that.

Anyway, the oil pump drive spline is the original part that I had to removed prior to rebuilding the short block. I don't remember If the drive spline was easily removed without some difficulty. Could it be the drive spline is worn out due the blown motor in the first place and needs to be replace?

The keyway groove is what stopping the drive spline from going through completely in the crank driveline. I tried to lubricated the crank driveline with motor oil to eased the drive spline onto the crank driveline. No luck there, either.

Just an update while I am trying to get the software/drivers for the camera. I can't seem to upload the pictures. Doing the research at this time. Once I get the camera going, I will post pictures on the oil pump drive spline as soon as I can. Stay tune.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Pictures of spline and crankshaft driveline

See the spline already in the crankshaft driveline as far as it go.

Inside the spline and barely notice the "bump groove inside the oil pump drive spline"

Here are the 4 pictures of the oil pump spline. Notice the picture off the spline going into the crankshaft and that is the farest it can go. What to do? Any comments, feedback, advice is greatly appreciated.

Here is the crankshaft driveline. Notice the timing chain gear is already push far in the crankshaft as closely aligned to the timing camshaft gear
Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM

I hope the pictures are helpful and sorry about the message in the wrong part of the picture. Do I need to replace this spline with a new one or what else to do to make the spline goes in all the way without damaging the spline? Any comments, feedback, advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Did you try prying out the keys to see if you can get the spline on easily? Those keys are a little dinged up, and it doesn't take much. If that turns out to be the problem, you can gently file the keys or just buy new ones.

Once you get the keys off, use some fine (around 400grit) wet-or-dry sand paper with paint thinner (or oil) to just polish the visible part of the crank. Maybe inside the spline, too.

It looks like the end of the crankshaft, where the crank bolt goes, is full of dirt. The torque on the bolt is, I believe, 116 ft-lbs. You don't want dirt making you reach the torque spec without the bolt being in far enough. It will never be any easier to clean that threaded hole than now.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:05 PM

Spline went through the crankshaft how much further to go? See last picture 3rd

clean inside the bolt thread on the crankshaft

Hey scope103, thanks for catching the dirt on the crankshaft hole. I cleaned it out using wd-40. Little fine details can be overlooked unless someone else caught it. Thanks again.

I was abled to moved the oil pump drive spline using the older chain gear as a wedge since it is the same size as the oil pump drive spline and pound it with a hammer.
See the results on the pictures. Yes, the threaded hole is clean now.

My question is how far toward the gear sprocket chain the oil pump drive spline as shown in the pictures? Is it suppose go all the way near gear sprocket?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 PM

Can you hold the TC on there and then take a pic of the oil pump on there? So we can see by how much its hanging up.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 PM

thefishguy77, thanks for responding and the tip. I will derfinitely take a picture of the Timing Cover (TC) and the oil pump in front to see how much room is available to put on the crankshaft pulley by tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Pictures of gap space between the timing cover and crankshaft gear sprocket

Here are the pictures of the timing cover, oil pump, crankshaft gear sprocket, crankshaft pulley. Noticed the gaps in the pictures. It seems to me that the crankshaft gear sprocket needs push further inside closed to the timing chain sprocket to make enough room for the crankshaft pulley to be tighten with the crankshaft pulley bolt. Comments, anyone? Thanks to all for reading and their posts. Next step is to put the timing chain assembly together. Stay tune for further adventures of this project.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Also, I forgot to mentioned that the oil pump in the picture above is the older one, not the new one.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:28 PM

I finally got the oil pump spline all the way in close enough to the timing chain gear sprocket and there seems to be a little movement or play going back and forth between two top bumps. Is that normal?

I am a little concern in regards to the crankshaft pulley. Because I used the old oil gear sprocket to use as leverage while pounding the the oil pump spline on the crankshaft, the crankshaft pulley will not go in crankshaft. I suspected I must have dented the end crankshaft while pounding the spline earlier. I have not yet install the timing chain and the timing cover yet. It would be best for me to put on the crankshaft pulley first to make sure it goes on the crankshaft. If for some reason I am unable to put the crankshaft pulley due to dents on the crankshaft end, perhaps grinding using my angular grinder on the area might help. Any comments on that? Thanks for reading.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you didnt change the front crank oil seal, better do that before closing finishing the long lasting job...
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by californiak
I see you didnt change the front crank oil seal, better do that before closing finishing the long lasting job...
That was his old pump in the picture if I read that right.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 AM

New oil pump

californiak and thefishguy77, thanks for posting your comments. I appreciated it.

The front main seal, I believed is located on the back inside of the oil pump. Is that what you are referring to? If so, I bought a brand new Oil Pump. I am sure that the front main seal is already on the new oil pump. Am I correct?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:27 AM

There were 2 different pictures of the oil pump cover so I was not sure, one had brown seal, one had black seal, oh I just re checked and that was not his post.

As far as the new oli pump, some come with the seal installed some don't so I am not sure if yours has the seal installed.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 AM

californiak, Here is the picture of the new oil pump along with main front seal on the back of the oil pump

. Thanks for your imput. I appreciated it.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM

You good, the oil seal is the black rubbery ring, make sure you slide it over the shaft without damaging the inside rubber lip
Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 PM

californiak Thank you for your last comment. I appreciated it.

Quick Reply: blown motor?