86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BJ Spacer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BJ Spacer Question

So I bought and installed Rough Country shocks, which are made for a 2 to 3 inch lift, and have not yet installed the lift. The shocks dont have a lot of travel so I need to get some sort of lift on pronto. My question is will ball joint spacers give me the necessary height in order to get more travel on the shocks? I know that the BJ spaces will lift it 1.5 inches but will that in turn allow more travel? Thanks a lot!

Cameron
Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 AM

Someone has to know something!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes they will.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The spacers will give you 1.5" more overall travel.

Low profile compression (lower) bumpstops will further increase compression travel.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Can I buy lower bumpstops?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes you can.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're worried about not having enough travel to keep from bottoming the shocks, why would you want to increase the compression range?

In this situation I'd probably leave the bumpstops alone.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
If you're worried about not having enough travel to keep from bottoming the shocks, why would you want to increase the compression range?

In this situation I'd probably leave the bumpstops alone.
Thanks for the advice.
I'm just trying to get some info to prevent ruining the shocks. Im coming from working on lowering cars, not lifting them so I'm learning as I go.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's cool brother... I just say everything like I'm trying to start an argument.

I was just making a coment, sorry if it came out 'as a matter of factly' in the tone.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lifted&Lowered
Thanks for the advice.
I'm just trying to get some info to prevent ruining the shocks. Im coming from working on lowering cars, not lifting them so I'm learning as I go.
I must have misread. Do I understand you have potentially the wrong shocks? What model rough country do you have?

The spacer lift will increase the mount the wheels can drop but not decrease how high they can compress. If your shocks are limiting compression, you need to return them and get the correct shocks. There are lots of shocks that are compatible with the spacer lift AND low pro bumpstop which will give you the most performance from your suspension.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elripster
I must have misread. Do I understand you have potentially the wrong shocks? What model rough country do you have?

The spacer lift will increase the mount the wheels can drop but not decrease how high they can compress. If your shocks are limiting compression, you need to return them and get the correct shocks. There are lots of shocks that are compatible with the spacer lift AND low pro bumpstop which will give you the most performance from your suspension.

Frank

Please make a recommendation. I am looking for this info also.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by elripster

Frank
I have the Nitro 9000 series. I do not have the wrong shocks. I ordered them specifically in anticipation that I was going to get ball joint spacers and an add-a-leaf kit. So I ordered shocks for a 2 - 3 inch lift. I did not realize however that the shocks were going to be drastically longer than stock. I knew they were going to be bigger, but not by a good amount. So right now I have very little suspension travel, which bothers me, and could potentially ruin some vital suspension components. So from what I have gathered here, the BJ spacers will give me more travel. Correct me if Im wrong!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 PM

you got me curious...
http://www.sonoransteel.com/san_dieg...olutions_.html
says that you do get 1.5 more articulation (SP?) I dont mean to steal the thread from ya, but how safe are these BJ spacers?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM

It says in that description that the spacers give 1.5" extra travel. I think that is what I'm looking for. Those are the same shocks I have...haha.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Whoa, hold up here. You purchased shocks in anticipation of spacers. That is good. On www.sdori.com we list shocks compatible with our spacers. You need a shock that has compressed/extended lengths of 10/15". You can go longer, but you need to stay under say 10.5" compressed. If you purchased a shock that is limiting your compression, read up travel, you have the wrong shock regardless of whether or not you run the spacers or stay stock.

Spacers increase travel, you are correct. They do this by allowing the suspension to drop 1.5" farther without limiting existing compression travel. That gives you MORE travel requiring a shock that is about 1.5" longer than stock or slightly less. Stock is typically like 9.6"/13.9" or very close.

Again, if you have purchased a shock, and if you post the part number I'll try to research it for you, that limits up travel, you have the wrong shock. Period. You need to return it and get a model that is listed on our page. Or, at least take a tape measure with you and make sure the shock is close to 10/15" dimensionally.

The component that will be damaged will almost certainly be the shock when it finally gives after you hit a sufficiently hard bump. At least lets hope it's the shock, other wise it will be the shock mount and that is harder to fix.

This is copied from our site...

Front Shock Fitment: Rancho 5167, OME #N98, ProComp ES3000 #317514, Skyjacker 8052, Doetsch Tech 3078, 8069, 9069, KYB 565084, Bilstein does not make an appropriate shock for this lift, theirs must be shimmed to fit.

I'll see if I can learn more about the Rough County shock specs.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Martinez1982
you got me curious...
http://www.sonoransteel.com/san_dieg...olutions_.html
says that you do get 1.5 more articulation (SP?) I dont mean to steal the thread from ya, but how safe are these BJ spacers?
As far as lift kits go, pretty darn safe. They are a very simple modification and thus low risk. I first designed them in 2003 and I along with a whole lot of others have been running them since.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 PM

Part #'s are :
Front - ZX384101Y
Rear - ZX383525R
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Those aren't rough country p/n's as far as I can tell.

I'm looking here http://www.roughcountry.com/shocks_toyota.html

They are not giving shock specs which is rather irritating. I'll call them tomorrow morning and see exactly which shock, if any, fit the bill. I'll post up here and update the website.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lifted&Lowered
Part #'s are :
Front - ZX384101Y
Rear - ZX383525R
Those look like JC Whitney part numbers, not Rough Country.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM

I purchased them from JC Whitney, but their site said they were rough country shocks? Something is fishy...

Quick Reply: BJ Spacer Question