86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BHG or Tiny Leak??**Long**sorry..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHG or Tiny Leak??**Long**sorry..

Before I get bashed, I've been frequenting these forums and others about my issue. Found a lot of similar threads but not completely the same. Here goes...

One day while driving home I looked down to see I was creeping up on the red line. I would press the gas and it would increase and let off it would get cooler. My drive home is right at 5 miles so I get there, "slowly but surely" This whole time the gauge never ever touched the red. Did really get close though.

I check the radiator after it cools and what do you know. Not showing anything and the reservoir was low. So being in Hawaii, I figure I can last on water alone for a few weeks so I start her up and fill her up with water. I guess it was completely dry because I put a lot in there. A week later I check it again...not showing in the radiator...Can't see any leaks again because it's pretty much all water in there.

Today I buy some 50/50 and put it in there, because again it was pretty low. While parked I ran it for about 15-20 minutes. No driving, just idling away. Looking for something to drip anywhere. I did notice the sweet smell...no white smoke. Check the floor in near the passenger side, a little sticky, but not excessive. Then I checked the oil. It looks nice and clean, not milky whatsoever.

Uhhh...I'm not a mechanic at all, the only thing I've done is swapped CV shafts...pretty simple as long as you have tools and yotatech. I've had the vehicle for about a month. Didn't change hoses or anything yet. Oh...does the poundage on the radiator cap really matter? Is the only way to check it is if you pressure test it at a shop. I got a 6lb cap on there and my dad said that was a little wierd. But he sucks too.

Sorry for the longest first post ever.

Aloha...
Old 09-27-2006, 08:31 PM

Oh..1992 4runner 4x4 v6..172xxx miles. Head gasket done in 1997 not sure what mileage.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some toyota temp gauges are electrically dampened and not linear, so beware.. if it's getting hot, it's something to be concerned about.

Bottom line: you're losing water.
You don't think you're losing water in the oil because it's not milky.. That may be true. It'd be good if you let it sit for a few hours then drain a bit of oil out.. If you see water, you've got a significant problem.

As you can *smell* antifreeze - and this is important because I can always smell it before I can see it, you know you've got a leak.

Two options:
1) It's leaking around/on the block somewhere. Because the block gets hot, it may evaporate off before even hitting the ground. Best thing to do is clean the crap out of your block and look for left over evaporated signs.. Do this from the bottom of the truck looking up... Somewhere around where the head touches the block. Clean the block very well, drive the truck around until hot, and then put it up on ramps immediately with the skid plate off.. Look up on to the block.. I'll bet your find it. Could be a gasket, old hose, or it could be the head.

2) If it's sticky inside, you likely have a leak in your heater core. You can ghetto patch this by by-passing the heater core. This is a bad idea, but it works for me: if you taste the "sticky" crap on the floor boards - antifreeze is sweet. I don't think this is it as you're losing a lot of water and would notice it if it was leaking into the cab.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hiokispunja
...Oh...does the poundage on the radiator cap really matter? Is the only way to check it is if you pressure test it at a shop. I got a 6lb cap on there and my dad said that was a little wierd...
Thats yer issue I think....

But to confirm start the truck after an overnight sit, but only for about 30 seconds. Then pull all your spark plugs and have a looksie at em. If any are wet you've got a BHG. If they are all dry your likely culprit is the weak radiator cap.

My radiator cap on my truck is a 13lbs cap.

While you are in the engine bay check the upper and lower hoses for leaking both at the radiator and at the block/head. Also if you are getting any leaking inside, as the other guys said have a looksie at yer heater core.

BTW dont make too much of a habit of tasting ethylene glycol (antifreeze), as it has a nasty habit of forming crystals (glycolic i think?) in your kidneys which inside of 36 hours induces kidney failure. Soon after that the unfortunate victem dies from septicemia...it's a bad bad bad way to go. The only treatment I know of is TONS of fluids with even more alcohol! The theory is alcohol, if found in high enough concentration in your blood will prevent the crystals from forming in your kidneys, thereby saving them. But the amount of alcohol needed to do this can also be fatal...

Also be aware that some BHG will actively pressurized your cooling system too! I had a BHG but had no water in my oil or oil in my water!!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 09-27-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:41 PM

thanks for the quick input. i don't think i would lick up on the sticky stuff on the floor...haha. you guys are crazy!

i tried to get my truck pressure tested, but the local place was pretty busy. so tomorrow at 10am Hawaii time, i'll be getting that checked out. hopefully we can pin point a tiny leak somewhere.

if that comes back with nothing...i guess i'll be checking the plugs. and later on tomorrow night i'll change the oil again and check for water and stuff....if nothing comes out then...i'll flush the coolant and stuff...
Old 09-30-2006, 01:30 AM

had my system pressure tested. it held the PSI steady....couldn't find any leaks. did suggest changing out the cap...so I bought a new one and plan on flushing changing hoses and clamps and thermostat. and hopefully the final touch...the cap will keep me from losing precious coolant.

i will keep those who are interested posted..mahalo again.