Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

best mud mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You ever checked out the NWOR catalog? If not you should order it.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:44 PM

It's not a mod to the 4runner but the best thing I ever bought for mudding is MY PRESSURE WASHER. LOL
Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM

i had a 2wd pickup and it did just fine in the mud. i had 31-10.5 dueler at's then. all my buddies with their lifted trucks just pulled me out if there was a problem. it's all good but i got tired of it and now i've got a runner! you and i, we are not so different.........
Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by woolsocks
You ever checked out the NWOR catalog? If not you should order it.
i checked out their site, but as far as i can tell its all 4wd stuff.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 AM

Let me say first off, I admire you. Take what you got and rally it. If you wanna go with a locker that won't effect your on road use, go the route I went. I run Detroit true-trac because it locks up when you start slipping (with minimal driveline backlash) but in daily driving it runs open. For the shackles, hit up e-bay. You can get a burly set from Jegs.com as well. These are bomb-proof I promise. Feel free to PM me if you want some ideas without people questioning your decisions.

Goat
Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Personally I would take the kid with the F250 4x4...

We can get righteous in our little Toyotas, rightly so, but not TOO righteous...

Ya know I was thinking the same thing...we aren't as wide and most mud holes have been rutted out on a full size frame.

A few tidbits of observation, a lot of holes have been rutted out in one direction IE throttle in means light dig then trk slows to a crawl and churns down to end. You can come at a mud hole from the other end and push thru that part first.

Second ya gotta think about engine compartment I've broken a fan and mud is a great gremlin.

You also need to look for junk ion the hole, people throw all kinds of stuff under their tires then just leave it for next guy (or gal) to jam it into tire or brake line.

I think life is kinda like a mudhole you don't know whats ahead til you're in the middle of it. And you're mind says "what have I got myself into" then you live in the moment and get aggressive or give up. If you get aggressive you might get out and feel great, or really F things up. If you give up you're still stuck and a part of you're nature is tamed.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:04 PM

ok 2wd is fine in the mud i mudded my 2wd ranger trailhead in the mud kind of like the toyota prerunners had a spool in the rear and loved it

btw if you have a stock 4wd pickup with open difs your basically 2wd anyways 2 tires have traction and 2 will spin in the mud

my vote is for the locker/ spool you can check out your local wrecker for a spare 3rd member you might get lucky and find one with a locker or a e lock you could convert your housing to mate up to it

i have alwyas had a spool or a lincoln locker in my rigs or put one in them

most of the time i dont put it into 4wd

as far as the f250 with mud tires go just yanked my buddy out he has a 2004 f250 diesel with the military goodyears on it pulled him out of the pit that i was driving my 1959 bone stock cj5 in here the kicker pulled him out with the cj5 in 2wd the cj5 has open diffs

as far as mud goes depends on the mud if snot gumbo sticky or what same goes for the pit water sticky mud hard bottom soft bottom etc each youd tackle differently

and yes my current dd 87 sr5 has a lincoln locker in it and i love to completly predictable just ran it through a small pit in 2wd 31 generic tire on it and my buddy with 3/4 84 chevy with 35 inch lech schwab mud tire got stuck had to get out an lock em in to get out of the pit

just for confusions sake we swaped trucks for the next pass he got sutck in my yota had to put her in 4wd and i went through in his 2wd just gave it more gas than he did on his first run

Last edited by jakindle; 05-01-2007 at 08:07 PM.