tacoma whip is just a standard antenna to replace the power one
oh well I don't have a power anntenna, so nevermind then
Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yea its really nothing special
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice a lot of 1st gen owners looking around, most of what I know pertains to my 2nd gen, so forgive me if its totally non-applicable for your vehicle. Also, most of these things can be researched right here on Yotatech on other threads.

you can also always grab any matching (or non-matching, if you really dont care) overhead grab handle for 2nd gen 4runners. If you notice, there are 2 grab handles on the passenger side and only one on the driver's side. The screw holes are there if you cut through your headliner, and you can just bolt the extra handle on.

If you're fab-friendly and damn lucky, you can grab (when I lived in south florida there were a lot of crashed cars always turning up so you could find good working components, in Socal, everything is rust free so great body and frame metal is easy to find out here... depends.) a 3rd generation electronic locking differential equipped 3rd member. You shouldn't have to re-gear if you find the right one and have 33" tires or smaller. The 1st and 2nd gen rear axles will need some modification, but I personally plan on putting leaf springs on my rear axle, so its easier for me to get a blank axle (like one from diamond or rock-assault) and use a salvaged golden nugget of rear locker 3rd member goodness. You can also look for a spare rear axle if you're keeping your stock style rear coil suspension

Also, you can put a 90-91 rear swing out tire carrier on a 92-95 if you get the reinforcing piece of steel that goes inside the body. Not just a simple drop in install, but again, toyota junkyard parts to keep an eye out for.

I hate to state the obvious, but how about a toyota solid front axle if you find one! Just a thought, even if you arent planning a solid axle swap yourself, if you can find one on the cheap, you can most certainly find it a good home and get yourself some gas money out of the deal!

Last but not least, us 2nd gen guys like your 1st gen rear factory roll bars. We need it just about as much as you all need it... It wont help you all that much in a roll over I'd imagine, its just a great place to strap loose gear to, and looks like the business. I think we have to saw a couple inches off of the wheel-well legs and re-weld the mounting plates onto the bottom, then just bolt it through the bodywork.

Last edited by NYChopshop; 06-10-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 AM

This is a great thread....everything in it is usefull except for the horns!

Can the Mods please make this thread a sticky...I think it is worth it.

Thank you...
Old 06-10-2009, 02:44 PM

oh, I forgot to add any manual locking front aisin hubs! little gems that are roughly 100 times better than anything warn ever came out with, and wabfab will rebuild them for ya if they need to be! Without automatic hubs, you are always in 2wd in reverse, among other crud-points! Other manufacturers make manual locking hubs for us, but not only are they HUGE, but they are weaker than the aisin ones.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone find and junkyard skids for the gas tank? Something a little better (ie. thicker?) than stock? I'm down for fabing mounts, just trying to see if anything is close in size that is "better" than the stocker pos.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 4banginRunner
Anyone find and junkyard skids for the gas tank? Something a little better (ie. thicker?) than stock? I'm down for fabing mounts, just trying to see if anything is close in size that is "better" than the stocker pos.
what do you mean for the gas tank? there are two different locations of gas tanks depending on whether you have a pickup or 4runner and what year it is. One is a stupid lowslung 4runner tank that runs near the driveshaft, and the other is under the pickup bed/trunk where most gas tanks are. I don't know about the latter, I assume there might even be some bolt on skids you can buy. As for the 2nd gen 4runner tanks, I do know that there are gas tank skids that you weld on, and they are just simple angle-steel. I have the underslung 4runner one, and I want to retrofit the 90-91 swing out tire carrier just so I can put a gas tank where the spare tire now is.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 AM

I just found out recently that you can take a 91 MR2 100 amp alternator and with some work, make it fit the 3.0l V6! I think we were given like 60-ish amp alternator from the factory, and that just wont cut it when you start boltin all them fun toys to your battery. Here's an article on that mod: http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=186492
Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Power window switch installed in the tailgate of my 4Runner so I can role the window up and down from inside when camping.
think you might be able to take some pictures or give some 'don't touch the blue wire' type pointers if you think of it? When I bought my 'runner not a single locking mechanism was working in any of the keyholes, not the trunk, not the doors. Good thing the alarm is in good order for now... Anyhow, I would love to see how you went about wiring and locating that extra window switch if you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:26 PM

uh... its me again... I just remembered that if by the off chance you find an '80s turbocharged 5-speed, the transmission is almost the same as the one that bolts on to the 3vze and the 5vze, but it has a lower gearing for 1st gear. If you can find one of these guys in good shape, its almost always worth picking up. Sure is cheaper than going to marlin crawler and paying for a rebuilt transmission, which I may have to do sooner rather than later myself.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any and all turbo truck/4runner parts would be a good junkyard mod lol. Seats, clusters, MOTOR, trans (5spd).
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYChopshop
uh... its me again... I just remembered that if by the off chance you find an '80s turbocharged 5-speed, the transmission is almost the same as the one that bolts on to the 3vze and the 5vze, but it has a lower gearing for 1st gear. If you can find one of these guys in good shape, its almost always worth picking up. Sure is cheaper than going to marlin crawler and paying for a rebuilt transmission, which I may have to do sooner rather than later myself.

Originally Posted by 4banginRunner
Any and all turbo truck/4runner parts would be a good junkyard mod lol. Seats, clusters, MOTOR, trans (5spd).
Amen, but they're hard to find.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Amen, but they're hard to find.
not to say that you should expect to find it, but if you do so happen to run across one in a salvage yard, keep a straight face, and purchase it quietly take it home, bolt it on with a fresh clutch, and enjoy!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by NYChopshop
not to say that you should expect to find it, but if you do so happen to run across one in a salvage yard, keep a straight face, and purchase it quietly take it home, bolt it on with a fresh clutch, and enjoy!
Zackly what I would do.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 PM

I'd Like to find a set of bucket seats from a newer VW GTI.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Marshall
I'd Like to find a set of bucket seats from a newer VW GTI.
Just don't get one with electrical adjustments. VW electricals are Germany's revenge for losing the war twice. I don't want any VW electricals near my nuts thank you very much.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Just don't get one with electrical adjustments. VW electricals are Germany's revenge for losing the war twice. I don't want any VW electricals near my nuts thank you very much.
haha! x2
Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
anyone ever put Mustang (say a 2000 model) seats in a 3rd gen PU or 2nd gen 4Runner?

I realise they'd be a little low probably, and would need some risors fabbed up, but the fully electric leather ones are quite nice

I may be getting ahold of some in the future, as there's a set in my dad's hot-rod build up, and he doesn't like em

Old 06-21-2009, 09:02 PM

full size chevy u bolts fit on ifs axles for a u bolt flip mod $5 per axle

they are long enough for any leaf packs

and they are beefer than the aftermarket

Quick Reply: Best Junkyard Mods