86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad Grounding Issue??? HELP 89 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Grounding Issue??? HELP 89 Pickup

Need some help with my 1989 Toyota pickup. I think I have a grounding issue. Some times when I start my truck up my heater blower motor won't turn on, left (only) headlight goes out. Right is fine. And every time I leave my truck (turn it off of course, it shocks me. I live in The NW so I need my heater to always work haha thanks!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Shock when you exit your vehicle is not a vehicle grounding issue. It's caused by electrostatic discharge produced when your clothes rub against the fabric of the truck seat. It's worse when humidity is low. Synthetic or wool clothes are worse than cotton. Leather clothes and leather seats would minimize that effect. Good excuse to upgrade seats and wardrobe
Be careful when fueling up. If you enter the truck while fueling up, slap the metal part of car before approaching the fuel door/nozzle.

Got a multi-meter and know how to use it? Know how to read the schematic? Then, we can go from there.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Thank you for the help. What might you think the issue is that my heater and ONLY drivers side headlight is intermittent? Also my sub in my truck doesn't work if I have a cold start in the mornings. It's like I'm blowing fuses but they are all fine. Some times all my stuff works..sometimes it doesn't. I talked to a friend about it and he said it could possibly be a bad ground in my fuse box?? I'm not sure where to look. I changed my pos. And beg. Battery connections so those are brand new.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:44 AM

Negative*
Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 AM

You havent answered my question yet..."​​​​​​Got a multi-meter and know how to use it? Know how to read the schematic?"

If answer is NO to above, just THOROUGHLY inspect, ALL connections, especially from battery post to the fuse block.
DO NOT THINK GROUND-GROUND-GROUND. Think ALL ALL ALL connections. ALL fuses, ALL sockets, ALL crimps, ALL screw terminals, ALL wires. ALL connections should have bare, shiny metal tightly contacting bare, shiny metal.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First you need a multi meter, then you need a multi meter and a multi meter and a very basic book or internet connection to learn the basics of using one. These guys talk me through stuff all the time and I am not an electronics person.

PO had added one of those power tap things in the fuse box, it had distorted the holder so that the fuse would only make intermittent contact. Likely never would have found it without a meter and some real good luck!
Old 05-20-2017, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by soouuzaa89
... I talked to a friend about it and he said it could possibly be a bad ground in my fuse box...
There is absolutely no ground in your fuse box.
Find another friend - LOL!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it happen at the same time? The light and the blower motor? Give the blower motor a kick with your foot (under the dashboard) when it doesn't work.... sounds dumb but its an electric motor. If the motor is going and you jolt it a few times and it starts, you know it is unrelated. The headlight can be shorting out at the plug at the back of the bulb housing. These are two somewhat common issues.