Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

bad egr? how to test if egr is working or clogged

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad egr? how to test if egr is working or clogged

I have been trying to find some info on the egr as I have a rough idle and maybe a vacuum leak i cant find anywhere. I had read that if you remove the egr hose and the rough idle goes away the egr is bad. when i remove the vacuum hose from the egr there is no suction on hose or the egr valveand if i put my finger over either end nothing changes and i feel no suction.
is there a way to test the egr?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
All answers are found in The Good Book: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...77exhaustg.pdf

(Should be no vacuum to EGR valve at idle.)
Old 05-14-2015, 11:07 AM

ill guess its fine and it wont get tested i dont have vacuum gauge to use lol
thanks for the reply

ahh i see the non vacuum gauge testing glad i dont need a gauge ill try it out now

Last edited by customdrum; 05-14-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is how I do mine. More info if you want it https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51647988
Copied...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fix for EGR/ Code 71

I got a couple of pictures out of order, but this should give you a good idea of what is needed to be done. You can leave the Plenum on the truck and clean the parts and hoses, I tried to explain both on and off the truck. Best is to take it off and pressure wash it.

I have ran into several EGR codes 71. I have been able to get them fixed without ever replacing one. There may come a time that I will have to replace one. To fix this problem, it will have a bunch of carbon, blocking flow of things. These EGRs usually cost $150 or more new.

2 bolts hold it to the back of the plenum and 3 to the head. Remove and clean out the little tube on the EGR for the vacuum hose and the pipes attached to the EGR. I will use a drill bit, cloth hanger and air hose. Probably could use brake cleaner or something.

This EGR is set up a little different then most but the Valve and EGR are the same as yours. You should be able to a vacuum on the hose and a vacuum on the EGR and get air to flow through(where my thumb and pointer finger is). I have a drill bit in the small tube. I usually try to take the screw out and but this one doesnt want to come out and dont want to risk breaking. A small wire will get around the bend. Get all pipes clean.
Name:  EGRtube.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  53.4 KB

If you leave the Plenum on the truck,take a cloth hanger/ wire and clean out the back of the Plenum where the 2 bolts connect. It will have a bunch of carbon there also. I just work it with wire and air hose til I get it the best that I can.

Here is how I clean the EGR. You will most likely need to pull the Plenum and clean all of the hoses and pipes as they will probably be plugged as well.

I worked on the EGR. Here is another picture that may look like the wrong way to do this, but the screw will strip if you use a screwdriver. Get a good firm grip, but not so hard to distort the screw.
Name:  efiswap32_zpsa5808e0a.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  68.9 KB

With the screw out, get another bite on the the pipe to get it out of the EGR. Leave the carbon in the pipe at this time as it will help keep the pipe round. The carbon is hard as concrete. Slowly work back and forth to get the pipe spinning inside the EGR tube and to start breaking it free. Could take up to 10 minutes but just be patient.
Name:  efiswap31_zpsc84f4588.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  80.4 KB

Here is me using a drill bit. I have never gotten as screw out with a Phillips screwdriver. Ususally rusted to bad. I use vise grips, then getting the pipe out is another job in itself. Take your time, you have to get this out to get all the carbon out.
Name:  wed7_zps93a0e0e7.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  104.6 KB

After it is apart, I use a drill bit, screw driver, nail, clothes hanger to get all of the carbon out. It is rock solid in places. You can put vacuum on the hose and see and hear the plunger moving and operating inside the EGR, the goldish part.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 PM

thanks for the replys
i remember cleaning egr on old chevys by heating them up or whacking them with a hammer and the carbon would fall out in clumps lol but didnt want to go that route with the toyota egr. I havent checked for codes but with 206,000 miles im sure it needs cleaning