86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad 3VZE start up problem. Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad 3VZE start up problem. Any help?

So I have a 1991 Toyota 4Runner with a perfect 3VZE with 170,000 miles. Not a leak and runs like it did from the factory. This problem is the first I have ever dealt with. What happens is that I turn the key to get it going and it takes it about ten to twenty seconds to fully fire and it's not all six going. It starts off with maybe two cylinders then three, four and so on. Then it dies on me... Start it again. Two, three four and then it starts coughing a little and I have to give it some gas. Right when it hits that perfect idle, everything is fine. Runs perfect, and it only does it when left alone for about ten to twenty minutes too. I get this white smoke as well once it starts up. It goes away when it idles fine but at start up, it's just this white smoke. I put my hand to it and tried to get a smell but I didn't smell any sweet syrup or a bad oil. The muffler does have it's rust here and there if moisture would be added in to this. I'm taking it in Tuesday. The guy suggested a tune up. Haha. Yeah. Then fuel pump, alternator. Hell. Lets do a head gasket. I just want to know if any of you have any idea what could be going on. Thank you.

Another thing. This all started happening after I gave the engine bay a power wash. Not the engine itself. I went under the wheel wells and such. Started it up and it was like that. Sounded like some two stroke.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing. I don't know if this could be it or not but is it possible for water to have gotten in and around the spark plugs, wrap the gasket or something some how and allow oil to seep through messing with the firing as well as explaining the smoke?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the plugs torqued properly, no way water can get in through them, although I'd pull them and check the condition of them, you can tell a lot by looking at the plugs. Also check your cap and rotor for excessive wear and the condition of your sparkplug wires.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Sounds like water in the distributor (but it could be lots of things). Water will cause a spark plug mis-fire, and the "white smoke" is the unburned fuel from the cylinders not getting spark. As the engine warms up the ignition advance changes, moving away from the wet spot.

If that IS the problem, a simple tune-up, competently done, will find it.