Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Back window on 87 Runner down, won't go up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back window on 87 Runner down, won't go up

I put my rear window down on the truck and now it will not go back up. I don't hear the motor working so:

It could be a fuse, but I checked the fuses and all look good.

Could be the window regulator (bad motor)

Or "other" electrical.

Thoughts???
Old 01-25-2008, 04:48 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I had issues with mine, but I could hear the motor working, turned out to be the teeth on the motor were stripped and not engaging the regulator, I actually found a complete setup, all the regulator parts, motor, tracks, everything on ebay for like ten bucks, I got very lucky. If you are not hearing the motor, then the motor is probably shot. my suggestion would be to take off the door panel, then the metal panel behind it, and unplug the motor from the harness and hook it up directly to the battery, with a fuse or switch for safety maybe, so that you can be sure that the motor is bad before you pull it out., if not, there may be a broken wire somewhere, or bad contacts at the switch. I think there is a relay for that motor too, I am pretty sure the motor would draw to much to go directly through the switch.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by de6w6it
I had issues with mine, but I could hear the motor working, turned out to be the teeth on the motor were stripped and not engaging the regulator, I actually found a complete setup, all the regulator parts, motor, tracks, everything on ebay for like ten bucks, I got very lucky. If you are not hearing the motor, then the motor is probably shot. my suggestion would be to take off the door panel, then the metal panel behind it, and unplug the motor from the harness and hook it up directly to the battery, with a fuse or switch for safety maybe, so that you can be sure that the motor is bad before you pull it out., if not, there may be a broken wire somewhere, or bad contacts at the switch. I think there is a relay for that motor too, I am pretty sure the motor would draw to much to go directly through the switch.
thanks for the advice; I'll try simplest to most difficult.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:16 AM

just cause you don't hear the motor doesn't mean the motor is shot. it could also be your switch or relay, or any associated ground. in my 4runner the window stopped working for an hour or two, and when i went to troubleshoot it it just started working again. pretty sure it was the switch; they can be flakey sometimes.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you think its the switch do what i did very easy take your antenna switch(the one by the radio so it goes up and down) and remove it ok now do the same to the rear window upper downer and plug the one for the antenna into the rear window wires and try that!!! or try the key out back that dont work then it might be the fact that its not getting power to the control box just like mine did ill go out and look when i go out to tell you the color if the wire that runs down the floor just by the door and take pics ok man hope it helps oh DO NOT TOUCH A POWER 12+ TO THE WIRES AT THE SWITCH AS THEY ARE A SWITCHED GROUND NOT POWER
Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

mine was a relay problem. spent all day with the FSM checking grounds and power. the rear switch would not go back to neutral sometimes causing the relay to trip.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 PM

On the drivers side in the cargo area under one of the bolts for the removable top, there is a switch or button that only works when the bolt for the top is in. Its a type of safety feature so you dont roll up the window without the top on while your driving. Just take off the inner plastic pannels and check that switch. and make sure that the bolt is activating that switch or button. Also sometimes the plug for motor gets caught on the window when its going down if its not secured properly and unplugs itself, its a pain and you can see right away if its the case by taking off that back panel on the tailgate and having a look.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt it's the top cover switch, if it was not working, the window wouldn't have gone down in the first place. Since it went down, did you lower the tailgate? Open it and shut it again. Make sure the tailgate lock is pushed in. The door lock detector switch would be the first thing to investigate.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Troubleshooting and repair info:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the child locks
had the same problem
Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let me know if you still need this picture man and ill go out and get it asap
Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, lots of good info. I also forgot to mention that the tailgate is up, and the linkage for the handle is unhooked inside the tailgate, so the tailgate is not coming down, at least for now.

I'll try some of the ideas and get back.