Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Another braking problem!! please help!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another braking problem!! please help!

ok, so i was experiencing some scary braking so i tore into the front end and found that the pistons on the right front caliper were frozen in and causing my brakes to drag. So, i replace the right caliper, right rotor and the pads on both sides. After i was all done, i bled the front brakes on both sides, then buttoned it all up. The braking was great, and still is, but when i brake it pulls left REALLY HARD. ------>Any ideas?

-Thanks, Andrew
Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First off, the textbook answer is that what you do to one side, nneds to be done to the other. One bad caliper? Replace both of them. Same with rotors.

That being said, it sounds like there is something wrong with the right side. Take another look at it and make sure things are as they should be.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by zlathim
First off, the textbook answer is that what you do to one side, nneds to be done to the other. One bad caliper? Replace both of them. Same with rotors.

That being said, it sounds like there is something wrong with the right side. Take another look at it and make sure things are as they should be.
the right is definitely good: strong braking, properly assembled (4x4 works).
do you think the left rotor and caliper need to be replaced too?

could this be an issue with any joints?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM

You said that the truck pulls left really hard while braking. That usually means that the left side is stopping better than the right. That is why I said that there might be a problem with the right side.

I would personally have replaced both calipers and both rotors to begin with, but I understand that times are tight. It is just really hard to expect balanced braking from an axle with new components on one side and old crap on the other side.

Best case scenario is that the new right side rotor needs a little time to get broken in with the new pads. It is not uncommon for new pads / new rotors to brake a little less efficiently than they do when completely seated.

I can't think of any joints that would have an effect on this, unless we are talking about the one you smoked while assembling the brakes

Last edited by zlathim; 06-23-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM

You said that the truck pulls left really hard while braking. That usually means that the left side is stopping better than the right. That is why I said that there might be a problem with the right side.
ya i get that

I can't think of any joints that would have an effect on this, unless we are talking about the one you smoked while assembling the brakes
that might be true.....no no, that came afterward
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
ya i get that

that might be true.....no no, that came afterward
Gotcha!

Try driving it around (if it still feels safe to do so). Do some hard stops to try to seat those new pads with the new rotor. If it gets better, you know it was a wear-in issue. If not, you're gonna need to investigate further.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM

Bump!!!

so the truck is still "controllable", but it's really weird to have to turn right when i stop, and i feel like i'm going to get pulled over on suspision of a DUI...anyone else have input???

thanks zlathim!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should really do both sides at once so they match.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You replaced one side, but now that side since its new has more braking power. You always replace calipers like shocks, in pairs.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
You replaced one side, but now that side since its new has more braking power. You always replace calipers like shocks, in pairs.
Except he replaced the right side stuff and it is pulling left. That means the left side is doing more braking than the right.

As I said, balance is hard to achieve when you don't replace both sides in kind.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 AM

Except he replaced the right side stuff and it is pulling left. That means the left side is doing more braking than the right.

As I said, balance is hard to achieve when you don't replace both sides in kind.
......right, it just doesn't make sense, i guess i need to pull it all apart and redo it???

it may be a different case if i say that it pulled to the left while braking before any of this work was done, just not as hard.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
......right, it just doesn't make sense, i guess i need to pull it all apart and redo it???

it may be a different case if i say that it pulled to the left while braking before any of this work was done, just not as hard.
So are you saying it pulled to the left before you worked on it? Just not as bad?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 PM

So are you saying it pulled to the left before you worked on it? Just not as bad?
that's right. it's just bad enough that it needs to be taken care of now.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the right side was seized, maybe one piston on the left is stuck, dumping all the pressure into the other piston (dual piston calipers, no?) thus more pressure on the pads and rotor?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:47 PM

ya i was thinking that but the pads and rotor on that side were wearing fine......