86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

air conditioner not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air conditioner not working

my AC doesnt work. when i try to turn it On, nothing happens. i havent taken it to a mechanic and i dotn plan on it. ill only go if REALLY have to but im trying to get sum advice from anyone on YT. i have anotehr problem. i cant control my passenger window (shot gun) i opened up the door panel on my side and disconnected the harness..i did teh same to teh side i lost control over. that did do anything. if anyone has any suggestions please tell me. thanks

Last edited by 90_wht4rnr; 07-27-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:32 PM

Wow, sounds like you're having the exact same problems I have with mine. Bump for some advice!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:56 PM

I need more details on the AC, for instance, does the blower still work ?
Does the button switch light up ? Do you know if it has a charge ? And it could go on and on like this so you need to give some more details or it could take all day just to narrow this down to the cause.

As for the window..., double check to see that you've hooked it up properly and try checking the fuse.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:15 PM

for the AC...nothing turns on..i dont think the blower works because when i turn the knob to the right..nothing happens at all...i dont think it has a charge...if u can explain a charge then maybe i can think about it some more...i had someone look at it and they dontknow what is wrong...the thing that puzzled him was nothing happened at all when the knobs were moved...

for the window it all started one day...i closed teh windowns one day then turned off the car..when i restarted it (about 20 mins after) i had no controll over the window...im sure i plugged it in all the way after i disconnected it because i can close teh window from teh passanger side...but ddriver's side still not reaction and the fuse is fine...

thanks for replying....i REALLY appreciate it

Last edited by 90_wht4rnr; 07-27-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:38 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
The AC won't work unless the blower is on. No blower, no AC. Try getting that narrowed down first. Is it the fuse? The blower resistor? The motor it's self?
The "charge" in an AC system refers to the amount of Freon, or whatever the ecoterrorists have forced up our...well, any way the amount of refrigerant in the system. A low charge and you'll see bubbles or foam flowing past the sight glass on top of the expansion valve. No charge, or a good charge and you won't. The charge can be checked with an AC guage set that all AC shops have. The sight glass is just a "quick check" for the shadetree types, to let us know that we need to take it to a shop.

I don't know diddly about power windows, other than what any e-tech would: Apply power, through the switch, to the motor, and it should move. No power at the motor, and it's the switch or the fuse, or a connection someplace. Power at teh motor, the motor's bad.

And I mean no offence, but maybe you could be a little more carefull about your spelling? Bad spelling and grammer can cause unneeded confusion...I don't mean you need an "A" in English class, but maybe a little more care...?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:27 AM

There's an AC relay fuse located behind the glove box that governs the AC blower controls, you can "Search" that and come up with all that you need to get in there and change it out as this has been covered in depth before.

Grab a multimeter and start checking for continuity in the window circuit, if changing out the fuse does'nt work.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 AM

thanks for your help..i really appreciate it
Old 07-28-2005, 12:51 PM

No prob, just glad I could help, being without AC in this weather su*ks.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
I don't know where you are, 94X4, but if you think it sux for you , c'mon down HERE!
This place sux like every vacuum cleaner in the entire world being turned on all at exactly the same moment, and all piped into one 2" hose.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:13 PM

Also, check to make sure the compressor is engaging. With the vehicle off, see if the pulley spins on the Compressor. It should spin freely. Then, turn your key, hit the ac button and turn the blower on. Go back to the engine comp and see if the inside and pulley on the compressor spin together. If they are spinning together (it will be much harder to spin) then the compressor is working. At least that would narrow it down. Also, I found on my ac, where they put more "coolant" in is like a tire valve. I pushed the little button down and "stuff" came out. So I am thinking that there is still coolant in mine (my ac was disconnected when I bought my truck). Hope this helps...
Old 07-30-2005, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by bruzer1123
Also, check to make sure the compressor is engaging. With the vehicle off, see if the pulley spins on the Compressor. It should spin freely. Then, turn your key, hit the ac button and turn the blower on. Go back to the engine comp and see if the inside and pulley on the compressor spin together. If they are spinning together (it will be much harder to spin) then the compressor is working. At least that would narrow it down. Also, I found on my ac, where they put more "coolant" in is like a tire valve. I pushed the little button down and "stuff" came out. So I am thinking that there is still coolant in mine (my ac was disconnected when I bought my truck). Hope this helps...
You should have that "vacced (pronounced with a "k") down" bruzer1123, as it sounds like you've got an old school R12 setup, since you've got a fitting resembling a tire valve, that has been proven overly dangerous for vehicuar usage..., FWIW.