Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Advice on pulling a 3.0 engine

Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on pulling a 3.0 engine

Pulling the 3.0 engine on a '92 4x4 extended cab. Should I disconnect at bell housing or pull with the transmission? If pulling with tranny, where do I unbolt? Should I separate it a the transfer adapter (I think that is what it is called) at what looks a black spacer. Appears to be red RTV at this location, so I assume that is where it was previously separated.. Any other hints or tips?
Attached Thumbnails Advice on pulling a 3.0 engine-toy4x4.jpg  

Last edited by DallasTX; 12-07-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Do NOT try to separate the tranny at the black center section!!

Disconnect the tranny and bellhousing complete at the junction of the engine block and the bellhousing and leave the tranny/bellhousing in the trucks frame.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the comments. To leave the bellhousing in place, I need to remove the starter?

Of course, now I am curious. What is that center section?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Yes, remove the starter.

The black section is in the middle of the tranny and carries some of the transmissions large bearings. It is steel for strength and rigidity.

The tranny would never be parted there except during tranny overhaul.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:37 AM

I have all bolts pulled except for two of the 17mm on the side and they are broke loose. I need to double check tonight, but believe I have everything else disconnected and now just need to unbolt the engine mounts. Any final words of advise for pulling?

Also, anybody have a reputable machine shop they can recommend in Dallas-Fort Worth area?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have had good experiences with JCI engine rebuilders in Arlington. They specialize in Japanese
Old 12-08-2016, 05:13 PM

Thank you. I have seen their rebuilt engines on ebay, but did not think about them as an option. What work did you have done, if you do not mind me asking?
Old 12-12-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have had short block work as well as purchasing parts. I also know others that have used them with good results.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasTX
I have all bolts pulled except for two of the 17mm on the side and they are broke loose. I need to double check tonight, but believe I have everything else disconnected and now just need to unbolt the engine mounts. Any final words of advise for pulling?

Also, anybody have a reputable machine shop they can recommend in Dallas-Fort Worth area?
curious how you got the top two bell housing bolts out? Maybe you have room to get at them on a pickup but I remember pulling a 3VZ out of a 91 4runner there was no way to get to those top two bolts, Toyota should have put a access plate in the floor, the shop manual said you either had to disconnect the front axles to lower the motor enough to get to those bolt or pull the motor with the transmission attached, which is what I did. You pull the whole tranny with T case attached, disconnected at the drive line. Needless to say I sold that runner and never bought another 3.0 for that very reason. Anyways last bit of advice, lift slowly and check all around to make sure all wires are disconnected and all bolt removed, its a bitch to bust a connector or tweek a mounting surface at the final step.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:35 PM

Following recommendations from other posts, I got the top two bolts using a 20" long extension with a universal joint and a 1/2 breaker bar. Getting them back in might be a problem, but that is a problem for another day. For now, they are out and the engine is hanging from the cherry picker. Puller her out Sat. Tranny is still in the truck.

Only busted connectors so far are all the ones that are so brittle they break when you look at them. Replacement connectors for the injectors arrived today and I am looking for a few of the other sensor connectors.

Search this Thread