Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Advice on fixing this rust??

Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on fixing this rust??

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum since ive only had my truck for a few months and although i've found most of my answers by searching this is something a little more specific I could use some advice on. So that being said I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Looking to get my truck painted this summer. Nothing major just to protect it and before I get it painted I need to get rid of some rust. I have a few ideas on how I could tackle it but I wanted to get some advice from the minds on this great forum.

Main thing is I dont have very deep pockets and I can do most of the work myself(except welding).

It's right on the driver rear quarter... the rust goes about to where my fingers are. Is my only option welding or replacement glass panels? I'd rather not go that route if i could help it. Maybe cut out the wells/rust a bit.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help/advice.

Looks like the rust is in the same shape/pattern as the "rock deflector" aka "salt collector"

view from the bottom.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
You need to take the chrome trim off the wheel arches. I promise there's more rust beneath them. The only ways to repair are the ones you just mentioned. If you still have the salt collector-gravel guards you can use them as molds for fiberglass mat.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of fiberglass should I use? Anything in particular?
Maybe some sort of fiberglass repair kit? I know to use a product like POR 15 after I clean up the rust... Should I fill it with something before I out the glass mold on or use their epoxy putty type stuff ?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Where do you live? Telling us might inspire someone who lives near you to offer some body parts. Lucky I'm home sick today and feeling long winded. I sympathize with you because my '89 rusted in the same place! I hope you repaint your 4Runner 8D7 medium blue metallic because it's my very favorite color.

Don't use epoxy putty. I've used it on small projects (non vehicle) and IMO it's junk. If you do lots of searching there are many ways to do this. There are some good videos on YouTube. Everyone would do it differently and one person is not right over another. One thing you have to know going in to this is that anytime you use a body filler such as Bondo it can absorb water from the unpainted side (the back side) and also will crack if it is thicker than a quarter (25cents).

Start by cutting back the damage and treating the edges to prevent further rust.

IMO the best way to fix this is to have someone cut some quarter panels from a healthy 4Runner with 2" healthy margins on them. Cut out the rust and leave a 2" margin for the glue ground down. Use auto body panel cement to glue up the new panels. Bondo/body filler to sculpt the seam. Auto panel cement is about $20.00 a tube and Eastwood sells it in a tube you use in a ordinary caulk gun. 3M sells it to body shops but their gun cost about $100. Some will tell you you must weld but body shops usually glue panels these days. You will also need to treat against rust from inside the truck. Pull the inside trim panels and spray undercoat.

The fiberglass mat method will cost about the same and take longer. Buy some fiberglass mat (not cloth) from a boat supply place. Walmart has it with the Bondo products. I use West System epoxies because it's very easy to measure and I have boats and had it anyway. You mix the hardener, epoxy and a filler that keeps it from being runny. Then you wet the mat and place it on your hole. Let dry. It will have a waxy feel. They call it blush. Wipe that down with a degreaser. Then wipe with acetone. Build another layer. Clean the blush again. At this point you might be able to do your final coat of Bondo or body filler. I say Bondo but I use Evercoat Rage because the pros say it's easier to sand. You want it thin. Prime it and put some paint on it. Body filler and primer both will absorb water and cause damage to start again so use spray paint at the minimum.

Places I have gotten stuff mail order at good prices:

www.jamestowndistributors.com West system epoxy

www.eastwood.com panel glue, rust reformer, Rage gold body filler,

Both of these suppliers, if you subcribe to their ads will send you constant offers and codes for free shipping.

Spend some time searching "rust repair" on google and you'll find lots more ideas on how to do this. I've been pretty disappointed that there are almost no body repair
parts for 1st gen 4Runners other than front fenders. Slacker makes fiberglass parts that use the panel glue to install. I wish he made a specific panel for the dog leg spot where the gravel guard was. Too late to help me though. I fixed my fenders over a year ago with mat and so far so good. Haven't painted the 4Runner yet though.